Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering... is there an actual mount for the front license plate. I just noticed that the dealer just screwed two screws into my front bumber. So, if I ever move to a state without a front plate requirement (VA requires it), then I'm stuck with two retarded looking holes.

You'd think there's be a bracket or something?! Is there? Do I have to go to that dealer and cram my foot up his crack for being an idiot... or am I the idiot?

Ha Ha ahead of time to the people who respond with "You're an idiot."

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
440 Posts
my uncle said theres supposed to be one. when i went to subaru of richmond they said there wasnt.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
IM PlatinumWRX -- Jim. He sells really nice WRX engraved bumper trims.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Front License Plate Mount?

PKer said:
You said it not me.:p
Clever. I missed that one. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So for everyone with the plate up front... is it just rudimentarily screwed into the bump (i.e. no official holes there... the screws just made their own).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I'm using the front mount bracket from a black 1G DSM. If you go to a wrecking yard you can find all sorts of "options" to mount your front plate. Just use your imagination and as little creative dentistry as possible.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Sick Boy said:
So for everyone with the plate up front... is it just rudimentarily screwed into the bump (i.e. no official holes there... the screws just made their own).
Mine just had the hole in the bumper from the factory. I put the plate on myself with not bracket.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SD_GR: So does that mount underneath the lip of the bumper? Not sure how else to explain it.

I don't have a choice, the dealer screwed it into the bumper. I'm kinda pissed. I'd rather have figured out another way instead of just picking a random area to drill. Guess I'm SOL. I was wondering if I could get the dealer to fix the holes, but I guess not. Thanks for the info all.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Using just the two holes to mount a large, US-style rectangular plate works, but try to bend to plate with your finger -- see how easy it is to deflect?

The DSM mount I use has a curved piece that extends downward and is meant to bolt *under* the bumper of a 1G DSM as well as on the bumber in front. I don't use the bottom screw holes; I just let the whole deal push against the middle air dam splitter on the stock WRX under-bumper nose opening. This makes the plate much harder to deflect with wind etc.

Most proper plate mounts have some sort of bracketing or supports to prevent the plate from bending etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts