ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have one?

Would it be best to buy a K&N and get it over with?

·
Registered
647 Posts
As soon as I bought my rex in August I went down looking for a K&N, only because they are well advertised. My large chain auto parts store showed me that the Air Hog and K&N are identical. The Air Hog is a little cheaper. I have cleaned it a couple of times and it works fine. I would recomend it. The turbo sounded a little louder after installing it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I plan on keeping the stock box and upgrading to the silicon maf tube and the other silicon tubes... I will get a short ram if I ever get a FMIC and ECU tuning.

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
I <3 the OEM filter. It's cheap, filters perfectly, flows fine, no oil, no MAF problems.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i bought one when i needed a replacement like right away... and it maybe made a slight difference, but i cant be sure. anyhow i have since gone back to paper... and its a cheapy fram paper one. :D I cleaned my MAF sensor recently and it was all gunked up with oil from K&N and probably a little bit from the Air Hog. Stick with stock or even with the fram paper filter i feel no real difference! Fitment with the FRAM paper filter is actually better than a K&N or Air Hog, lol.

If you want really good, go with AMSOIL. Double foam oiled element is the off roaders choice. (K&N just pays a lot of money for marketing) Its like half the price of K&N, also.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Go easy on the oil spray or you will have problems. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
598 Posts
along with the potential MAF sensor problems you are also letting in more dirt to your engine. the fact is there are no dyno proven gains to a drop in filter and it would take 5-6yrs to recoup the cost v. replacing it once a yr with an oem paper filter. most gains from a drop in filter are due to a placebo effect.imo, it's not worth it. spend the $45 on a gpmoto resonator delete elbow or towards some IC hoses.

·
Registered
647 Posts
WRXSleeper said:
along with the potential MAF sensor problems you are also letting in more dirt to your engine. the fact is there are no dyno proven gains to a drop in filter and it would take 5-6yrs to recoup the cost v. replacing it once a yr with an oem paper filter. most gains from a drop in filter are due to a placebo effect.imo, it's not worth it. spend the $45 on a gpmoto resonator delete elbow or towards some IC hoses.
Sorry, but I have to disagree...

My Fram Air Hog collects a lot of dirt. I wash/treat it every other month.
Using a paper filter that can't be cleaned and changed only oncer per year would restrict airflow, big time.

If you know someone who uses a Fram or K&N, have a look next time they clean theirs. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
bottom line, an air filter is supposed to filter out the dirty particles in the air.

for reference, i never re-oiled the k&n or fram air hog and used it on the car. so, the oil problem is not my fault. this is not a big concern anyways, just periodicly soak it in rubbing alcohol to clean it. it does prove that the filter oiled my maf sensor and then allowed dirt to pass through it.

there are numerous tests out there that show cotton filters wearing out over time and then allow more dirt to pass through. this is why i dont like these filters. sure you can buy one and clean it over and over again to save some money, but you are allowing too much junk into the engine.

i like paper for a few reasons. it filters the best. there is no proof it makes any less power than cotton ones. its cheap, i got mine for less than $8 so i can change it at least 5 times and still cost less than 1 of those cotton ones AND performance will always be the same. no oil so no need to clean the maf or any chance of damaging it.

thats just my experience with them... if i go with a non paper filter, it'd probably be amsoil.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good points. I'll have to see how it works in the long run.

How do I know if I have oil on my maf sensor. Where is it?

I can see how someone could over oil the filter after cleaning. I put it on a little light and I don't notice any problems, but would like to check my sensor.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Meh. I still have the OEM air filter at 43,000 miles on my '02. Put 201/201 to the wheels recently with it in place and only up/dp on the car. Does it look dirty? Sure. Is it restricting flow at all? Nope, just doing its job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just put a Blitz intake on and so I have a lightly used AirHog just sitting here. If someone wants to throw an offer my way...I may be willing to let it go.

I never got a chance to get the oil for it. It was in the car for a short time though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts