• Used RainX/cracked

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading all the cracked window stories and it makes me cringe every time I hear something clink off my windshield.:( Of course, I can just zoom by all the big trucks that are in front of me!

I don't get it, maybe it's the tight stucture, maybe the glass is thin - but I use to take hits all the time (NUMERous chip marks) and no problems. I also used RainX all the time (loved leaving the wipers off in driving rain), but I'm concerned b/c of the glass reports. Anybody custom change their glass thickness?

So, I just wanted to know if you've been using RainX on your ride and for how long. Also, if you got cracks after using it, whether you thought RainX had some contributing influence. I don't think it affects the windows like that, but I thought I'd bring it up. The rainy season is upon us.

Thanks!

Roamin'

·
5,799 Posts
I have never heard of any relationship between usage of RainX and compromised windshield integrity, but I suppose it's possible.

I think many people are of the opinion that the quality of the OEM windshield is frankly sub-standard. Mine had (still has) two full-width cracks and one adjoining crack, within one month of purchasing the vehicle.

-Pace

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I cleaned my glass constantly, at times I had to press on it so hard I could feel it flexing. Putting RainX on the windshield would make it easier to clean. I think Rain X is a good idea.

I'm with Pace, though, the quality of the glass put in the vehicle at the factory was crap. I have the EXACT SAME GLASS in my car now and it seems much more durable.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I think that the biggest deciding factor in whether your windshield gets cracked or not (assuming the glass isn't paper thin, of course) is the angle of the windshield. A drastically rearward sloping windshield will be much less prone to getting cracked from rocks, etc. compared to one that is almost standing upright. Obviously in a 4-door car, the windshield will most likely be more upright than in a 2-door. Therefore, in order to get the same "performance", you'd have to have sturdier (thicker?) glass to compensate. Just my observations.

Edit: As far as the rainX thing is concerned. It forms a thin film to prevent the rain from "sticking" to the windshield. Although I'm not positive, it's probably some sort of surfactant based film. This would have basically no bearing on "shielding" the glass from cracking.

·
5,799 Posts
WRXed said:

Edit: As far as the rainX thing is concerned. It forms a thin film to prevent the rain from "sticking" to the windshield. Although I'm not positive, it's probably some sort of surfactant based film. This would have basically no bearing on "shielding" the glass from cracking.
But it may be a factor if it keeps crap off your windshield and makes it easier to clean, thus reducing the stress you place on the glass which might otherwise cause a small chip to spread.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
pace said:

But it may be a factor if it keeps crap off your windshield and makes it easier to clean, thus reducing the stress you place on the glass which might otherwise cause a small chip to spread.

-Pace
True... I was more referring to the rainX acting as a "shield" against foreign objects flying at the windshield, as I got the impression that the original question was along those lines. Indeed, if you don't have to scrub as hard, then you definitely should at least help eliminate "stress" crack spreading while trying to clean it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I don't think this helps shed any light on a relationship between RainX and cracking windshields, but just a fact (well, either a fact or bs) that a guy trying to sell me some other brand of rain replent one day told me was something in RainX causes the seals around the windshield to dry rot/weaken/decay, whatever. I really don't know if there is any truth to that, but I have lay off the RainX till I get off my lazy a$$ and do a little research.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that may be true....

.....but, there's an easy way to get around that - don't come tooooo close the edges. keep in mind, he was trying TO SELL you something else, right?

well, according to our non-scientific poll (too small a sample size) nobody who's running RainX has cracked. In my experience, it does make junk come off the windshield easier - a little "lubrication" isn't all that bad ;) But, i was seing if it made a difference in getting the initial cracking. who knows? maybe it is acting as a protectant.

I'm probably going to put it on. the 5-day is calling for rain. So PLAT (or anyone else) - how BAD are the RE92s on our less-than-great pennsylvania roads?

anyway, thanks for the interest. take care.

Roamin'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: that may be true....

Roamin'Coyote said:
.....but, there's an easy way to get around that - don't come tooooo close the edges. keep in mind, he was trying TO SELL you something else, right?....
Oh ya, I realized that... damn dirty salesman!!!! :mad:

But really I was looking for more of an excuse not to put RainX on my windshield... I'm hella lazy. :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I've used RainX. It's awful stuff! Did you ever get wax on your windshield? Same effect. Oncoming headlights look like a million little lights shing in your eyes.

The relationship between this produt and windshield cracking is remote regardless of the nisance effect of the product. I believe it's a factor of the "angle of attack" as WRXed pointed out.

misterx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts