ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my turbo shipped to me today. i was all excited, until i opened the box and saw TD05H stamped on the housing. i was like 'WTF'. did i get the wrong turbo shipped to me? is the difference between the TD05 and TD06 in the exhaust housing, while still using the same compressor housing? after emailing the company i ordered it from (gruppe-s.com) this was their reply:

"We'll need to ask FP about the stampings and how they relate to the turbos. The TD05/TD06 indicates the exhaust housing but the stamping is done on the compressor housing by Mitsubishi. I believe the TD06 housing is not normally used by Mitsubishi with the 18G so FP does that conversion but the stamping doesn't reflect that. FP doesn't even offer a TD05 option for the 18G so it's highly unlikely that you received a TD05 instead of a TD06."

so im confused. what the heck is sitting on my living room floor?

heres some pics, and you can see why id be thrown off by it:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
FP def. offers a tdo5, I'm not sure if they offer a td06. Not much dif., maybe 5-10hp, maybe. I would keep it or go to a 20g.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
2.0 or 2.5L?
if you're a 2.0 I'd stick with the 05h 2.5 go for the 06.
makes sense to me if its stamped on the compressor and FP has swapped out the exhaust housing...

·
Registered
0 Posts
2.0 or 2.5L?
if you're a 2.0 I'd stick with the 05h 2.5 go for the 06.
makes sense to me if its stamped on the compressor and FP has swapped out the exhaust housing...
true

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
When you purchase a standard MHI turbo, the TD05, TD05H, TD06, TD06H refers to the Exhaust wheel. The -14T, -16G, 18G, -20G, etc refers to the compressor wheel.

So a TD06-18G is a TD06 Exhaust wheel with a 18G compressor wheel. Neither of those number have anything to do with the turbine or compressor covers.

The Compressor covers are also referred to as TD05, TD04, & TD06, etc, BUT you don't normally reference this number in purchase.

The turbine housings are sized in 7cm^2 & 8cm^2.

You more than likely have what you ordered.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^:thumbup:

that right there just summed up about 3 hours of searching around, collecting one piece of information at a time. thank you for the clarification, and it totally makes sense.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
updated

got a response from FP:

All of our compressor housings are stamped as TD05, however that means nothing on that turbo. We custom machine the compressor housing to fit the 18g compressor wheel and then we also custom machine the turbine housing to fit the TD06SL2 turbine wheel. All of our 18g's are built the same unless there is customer build requested.

so luckily i got what i really wanted. hopefully this will help clear up some confusion, if anyone else runs into this scenario.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts