Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halfway into my FP turbo exchange and my impression is; this isn't as hard as I had feared.

So far, the biggest PIA is jacking the car up and down to remove the DP. I'm putting my modified Stromung in when I reassemble the car. Next biggest PITA are the oil lines. The coolant line was disconnected at the resevoir so no big deal. The two 15 mm nuts for feed lines are very tough to break. (They may be coolant lines because I havent broken them yet and I don't know what's going to come out of them). All the other nuts broke easily. PB Blaster rules!

Wish me luck.

misterx

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, some coolant ran down the uppipe onto the EGT sensor. I understand this is problem. Anybody?

misterx

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump.

Help is required for a brother in the middle of a mod. Any input is welcome.

misterx

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With no skinny son available today, there is no turbo upgrade to be completed. Either that, or someone comes here and helps me with the oil return line.

An alternate wolud be, I grow a realllllllly long third arm.

Hmmmmmmm? Maybe I could use my peni... No. Not quite long enough.

misterx

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't know the specifics of your particular situation (haven't done a turbo swap on my WRX... yet! :D) but whenever I would get chemicals on a sensor at the dealership out it would come and on would go a liberal spritz of the brakekleen and I didn't usually have any trouble after that.

Sounds like the fluid lines are the hardest part about the turbo swap... Hate that. :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil return line is almost impossible to reconnect alone.

I'm going to get some brakecleen. Thanks.

Now, somebody knows the secret here. I was thinking of clamping the oil return line to the turbo and guiding the lower end onto the lower end of the system. BTW, the lower spring clip was missing!

misterx

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll welcom a PM from anyone who has done a turbo replacement and can offer some help.

misterx

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got the oil return line on after what seems like years of trying. Here are my obeservations on the oil return line:

1. Sit the turbo on the studs and connect the air intake
2. Leave the oil return line on the return tube on the engine
3. Go under the car and line up the oil return tube on the turbo with the hose (I used a coat hanger bent into a hook to pull and a screwdriver to push.)
4. Have someone on top of the car to help when you push the oil return hose up onto the turbo to keep the turbo from moving.

If you leave the oil return line on the turbo, it's almost impossible to align the air intake. This connection proved very frustrating when tryint to install the line from the top.

Also, try to keep coolant from running down the uppipe. A significant amount of coolant remains in the turbo and when you lift it off the up-pipe, the coolant runs out on to the EGT sensor.

misterx

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Glad to hear that you're done after a couple of install headaches. I've saved your tips as I'm planning on a turbo swap in the near future. Mahalo!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to be completed! Thanks for your good wishes.

The turbo has made the car faster. It spools a little later but once the boost hits...... I think this turbo offers a nice performance improvement while retaining drivability.

I'm adding a new TMIC and running off the Total Subaru Performance for an on the car tune. They have a driving school and a garage pretty close to my place. Right now, boost is pretty low, around 12 psi. I expect the tune to help with that. They'll also add the STI injectors.

I ran the car last night for a bit after I reset the ECU. Man, did that turbo ever smoke burning off the antiseize and the spilled coolant! Skinny Son says it's much faster now.:D

After all the frustration of installing this turbo, I'd say this is a job best left to a shop. Not having a lift really makes the job tough. Also, the guys who have removed their turbo brackets will have an easier time. My uppipe is in the car for 3 monts now with the brackets and has never leaked, so left them in place.

misterx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts