ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an JDM '02 wrx and want to go for significant HP gains, trying to reach 350-380 whp.
I have rebuilt by bottom end, this includes pistons rods, sti crank which is supposed to more oil ports...(can anyone confirm this??) cosworth bearings, cosworth HP oil pump, cometic head gaskets, I haven't touched the heads as yet.
I got a 3'' up pipe (not installed), 3'' catless down pipe (no boost creep issues yet), and rest of my exhaust is also 3'' (emissions not a problem where i'm from)

So my heads, turbo and intake are left stock waiting for this day when i got the cash to go ahead with my project.

I'm leaning toward the FP green turbo, haven't decided on management etc.
Would running an internally wastegated turbo be a problem if i want to run less than 20 psi boost???

Its my daily driver right now and i am not looking for a track car...i need it to be drivable on the road.

Any thoughts from you guys on this turbo/wastegate or have other suggestions?
Oh, I plan to go with a FMIT for better cooling cuz its just damn hot here, gtot the stockk one on just now

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
That's a pretty laggy turbo... have you thought about a Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R? I'm putting one on my car today. I can let you know how I like it this wednesday after the tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a pretty laggy turbo... have you thought about a Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R? I'm putting one on my car today. I can let you know how I like it this wednesday after the tune.
yeah let me know how that goes. trying to get away from the lag especially with the FMIC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've havent got the funds but i was just looking at the gt3076r rotated kit with external wastegate but wow its alot of cash but really tempting

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
have you thought about just doing a vf series turbo, and progressing onto a bigger one after that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well no, i'm was gonna skip that vf series step up and go for >300 WHP. do you think the TD05 20G will be laggy on the 2.0L?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you're only wanting > than 300whp. Then, have you thought about an evoIII 16g? on a 2.0L that'll get you above 300, and it'll be a good daily driver

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Honestly, if you're doing all that work and you're aiming for high boost pressure, go for an external wastegate. It will keep your target boost on point and you shouldn't experience any spiking and creeping like you would with an internal setup. Also you will increase your boost spool up as well due it being more efficient.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
The 20G or HTA68 are suitable turbo's for an EJ25 WRX motor, they're not a good match for an EJ20. For a 2.0L you're going to want a 16G for quick spool and response, or an 18G if you want to sacrifice some spool time for some more power potential.

If you're aiming for just over 300 WHP, a 16G and good supporting mods will get you there, and will keep you happy as a daily. An 18G will take longer to spool and give you less usable power for general driving.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just Picked up an FP green myself on saturday.
Wasnt planning on it but i got a stupid deal on it, $700 with the up-pipe oil line and the turbo only had 2k on it.
My cars an 07 wrx with a soon to be built lower STI short block end with WRX heads.
as mentioned before If your tranny is stock upgrade it cause it will grenade itself without a doubt no questions asked.
also you will need injectors too.
For your motor evo III all the way or if you want the car as a daily driver and want lots of spool look at a VF-34 twin scroll turbo
they tune to 300 whp but the turbo boosts at 1800 rpms nice match for the 2.0 block

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Emsbuff124 said:
For your motor evo III all the way or if you want the car as a daily driver and want lots of spool look at a VF-34 twin scroll turbo
they tune to 300 whp but the turbo boosts at 1800 rpms nice match for the 2.0 block
VF34 isn't twinsroll, and 1800 is optimistic

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
i appologize I thought it was i know the twin scroll starts with a 3 but i always get the last # mixed up and 1800 really isnt unheard of if you tune it right

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
VF34 isn't twinsroll, and 1800 is optimistic

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
+1...you won't spool that early on any VF turbo, even on a 2.5L

Twinscroll IHIs are VF36 and Vf37s, right? Pretty rare if I'm not mistaken?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Emsbuff124 said:
i appologize I thought it was i know the twin scroll starts with a 3 but i always get the last # mixed up and 1800 really isnt unheard of if you tune it right
Since you're insistent it wasn't a typo...

Post a "tuned right" graph where a VF34 is spooled @ 1800.

Before you waste time searching, you are aware that dyno plots rarely start before 2K, right?

·
Registered
434 Posts
2.0 block not a 2.5 block and its an open sorce tune via a laptop not a dyno.
Its not on my car, I have the 2.5 block if did get the FP green I was going with a garret twin scroll but figured I could put the money toward the suspension and brakes and picked up the FB green

·
Registered
434 Posts
+1...you won't spool that early on any VF turbo, even on a 2.5L

Twinscroll IHIs are VF36 and Vf37s, right? Pretty rare if I'm not mistaken?
Nasioc has a bunch of the them its not the turbo thats hard to come by as is the DP and exhaust system for it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts