Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Guys today is a very good day for the Subaru aftermarket

2 years ago I called and spoke to the guys at FP about them building a bolt-on "Green" turbo for my car.

I had done my research and learned that it was the standard for street/strip turbochargers in the DSM world. It spools reasonably quickly and is capable of solid mid 120mph trap speeds on full weight AWD cars.

This is the setup that I wanted for my WRX from day one. I have always wanted a car that would run around [email protected] at the drag strip while still being friendly to drive on the street. Today FP finally gave me what I’ve always wanted.

The FP green is MASSIVE by comparison to any of the other bolt-on turbochargers I’ve come across. It looks small in the picture simply because I put it next to a full T61 for size reference. The inlet just barely fits (you have to fight the samco and stock hoses to get them over the compressor inlet) the compressor cover is going to just barely clear your TVG sensor and the waste-gate actuator had to be moved far to the side to make it clear a TMIC.

I've seen other turbo vendors cut corners and send me half-baked units that required a lot of frustration and fab work to get them to bolt up to the car. Fp went the extra mile to ensure that this won't happen.

For reference, the turbo just to the left of it in the picture has already put down 400whp. The Green is capable of flowing quite a bit more air, and I won't be the least bit suprised if we see a solid 450whp on this turbo charger. Robert and the guys at FP assure me that if we will run the boost high enough, we will see more.

I asked Robert about them using a smaller compressor cover on this version of the green vs. the one they use on the DSM. His response was that he has experience with this cover on the DSM Green and knows what it's going to do. The standard DSM Green runs a ported 7cm exhaust housing. The WRX green, for the time being, is using an 8cm housing. I suspect we'll turn out some very large numbers very soon. I already have a test monkey (just kidding Karl) setup to throw this on his built 2.0L. We will also install this turbocharger on Phil’s new 2.0L race motor (brought to you by www.magnusmotorsports.com) and I expect we will be running this bolt-on setup for the Subaru shoot-out.

I’ll be very interested to see what this turbocharger can do on a car with stock cams…

A few notes about the Green. Don’t ask what it is, because I am not telling you. Don’t ask which compressor cover is being used, because I don’t know and don’t care. FP (wisely) has ground the part numbers off the compressor cover. If they didn’t there would be 10 turbo builders overnight who would be trying to build and market the exact same product saying “it’s just like a green.” For now the only information you will get is the name of the turbo, and the dyno numbers it puts down. Dyno numbers should be coming in next week.

For more information on the FP green see http://www.forcedperformance.net/dsm_turbo_green.htm "

·
Banned
2,810 Posts
Dang, from the title I thought the 2005 WRXs were going to come in green, and I was curious what FP meant...

New turbos are neat, too, though. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is a TD06 comp cover and what many believe to be a 50 trim Garrett wheel inside.

Oddly enough, the compressor inlet doesn't appear to be anywhere near as large as it is on the DSM version. Likely due to the tiny intake snorkel.

·
2,210 Posts
Jay: Makes sense. For my TD06 cover I had to stretch the inlet pipe about 0.5" in diameter to get it over the comp inlet.

Louis: Sam @TurboMetrics purchased the 20G. I won't be needing that Toluene for a while... the 'XX pulls its 124mph traps on 87 octane. :D

-Pace

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow

Right on Todd!!!!

I've been hearing about this turbo since I got my car and wondering as well. I think that I am still going to wait for the Garret Disco Potato type bolt on for my car, as it should be much more streetable (if we ever see one). But for pure dragging satisfaction, I think this could be it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts