ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Leave them and put little flags around them so you don't run em over with the lawn mower. I've heard many stories about that happening.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Leave them for a few days. Keep an eye on the place, and if the Mom doesn't come back (a lot of "Moms" won't come back if someone's messed with the nest), take them to a local animal shelter.

A few years back, when hurricane Hugo came through SC, it blew down a bird house in my back yard. When I went out and picked it up, I noticed that there were three baby flying squirrels in it. The Mom was in there too, but she hauled ass as soon as I picked it up. One of the babys had a broken leg so I took it to the local animal shelter. They said that they'd keep it until it recovered and then let it go. I kept the other two on the screened-in back porch until they were old enough to "fly". Then, I let them go.

Hopefully them Mom will come back, in your case. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
aheineken said:
Leave them and put little flags around them so you don't run em over with the lawn mower. I've heard many stories about that happening.
Actually that's how I found them.
I was cutting my grass and ran over the whole and when I came back around I saw something moving so I checked it out. Good thing the blade wasn't set lower or I would've been really sad. One actually came out and ran around for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I just had the same situation last month - they grow up fast! They will be gone before you know it. Yes, watch it with the lawnmower.

Thanks for posting the pics - very cute! :)

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Trailboss said:
Those are cute bunnies!! :)
I have bunnies in my yard, too!!! they are teh cool
on the 4th, we tossed over some carrots in their direction. I guess they don't like whiskey either.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
We have alot of bunnies in our yard. They love to tease my dog. They stand just out of reach of her chain (smart little ****ers) and don't move while my dog barks her ass off at them.

·
Registered
715 Posts
***biGRed*** said:
Actually that's how I found them.
I was cutting my grass and ran over the whole and when I came back around I saw something moving so I checked it out. Good thing the blade wasn't set lower or I would've been really sad. One actually came out and ran around for awhile.
Fixxxer and aheineken have it right. Do not handle them or the mother will not return. Now that you've unprotected them, there's a good chance they'll either get up and move on their own or be attacked by something... either way, it's not a good situation for the bunnies.

Now if you do not want to chance that, then I would suggest taking them to an animal shelter immediately. At that size, they need to be fed ever 2-3 hours. The thing is, not all shelters have a capacity to take in rabbits that small. They need to have a rabbit who is nursing and then there is still no guarantee that the new mother will accept them.

How do I know all of this??? Well, about 10 years ago I did the same thing. Only a friend of mine was helping me out with a whole slew of yard work and he took the task of mowing the back yard. We recovered 2 babies, unfortunately, a third was lost to the mower. I called around and found out that I could bring them to a shelter (where someone would stop by and pick them up to see if his rabbits would allow them to nurse... but they told me there was no guarantee). For the night though, my butt was up ever two hours with some room temp milk feeding them through a dropper. One loved it, the other wasn't too happy about it.

Anyway... good luck with the situation. If there's one thing I learned from the experience, it's that you shouldn't let your grass go without mowing for more than 2 weeks. On a side note... I believed I named them Budweiser and Heineken.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The lawn mower is def thr enemy. About a week ago my friend took out a whole family...mom, dad, numerous small ones...Not much you he could do then say, "oops."

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well throughout the whole weekend I was checking on them and I noticed that some were gone. This morning I checked again and all were gone. :( I did see one grown up rabbit bouncing around in my yard last night so that might have been the mother. She jumped into my vegetable garden and started eating away!!! I quickly ran out there barely naked and ran her out of my yard & under the fence. Little did I know my neighbor was outside smoking watching me the whole time. :eek3: Anyways, hopefully they are all okay. :D Thanks for the advice guys. :thumbup:

·
2,564 Posts
Above advice about leaving them alone was correct. Mom is gone most of the day, only coming back at night. She will pick them up and move them if they are exposed (assuming something else doesn't get them first, like a hawk or owl.) Animal shelters get so many calls on uncovered rabbit nests. Advise is always the same; leave them alone, and if they get eaten, it is the normal course of events. That's why there are a lot of bunnies, and not a lot of hawks, owls, foxes, etc. Same goes with birds. (and no, the rehab center does NOT want your injured or cast out house sparrow.:rolleyes: )

There's so many f'n bunnies in my yard, it looks like the opening sequence of f'n Teletubbies!

<--- former county metroparks naturalist volunteer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts