Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down a 2 lane highway today, and there was a green Ford Taurus driving in the left lane infront of me. I was in the right lane and moving to pass. They were going about 70. As I start to pass, they speed up, and look at me. I drift passed 75 where he accelarated to and stopped at about 80. As I did this, he pulled between the lanes behind me, and was really close, all of a sudden I hear a siren and he flips down his visor and there is a flashing blue light!

**** ! ! ! :mad:

He pulls me over and tells me to get out of the car. Long story short, I talk my way out of a ticket. :)
Damn undercover cars. It wasn't even like it was an unmarked car - with the huge antennas. It was just a green Ford Taurus, nothing special. Grrrrr detectives!

·
Registered
424 Posts
FWIW, In california the Penal Code handbook says that in order for you to be LEAGALLY BINDED into pulling over, ALL of the following MUST be true:

1) The police vehicle MUST be marked as such.
2) The police officer MUST be in uniform.
3) The police vehicle MUST present a RED light that is visible from 100ft away from in front of the police vehicle.

If ANY of these are UNTRUE, then you are "technically" not disobeying the law by not pulling over. They would have to call for a backup MARKED car to pull you over for them, cause you don't have to for them!!!!

I don't know what your state laws are, but I would've kept driving, if he REALLY wanted me pulled over, I would have made him call for backup. He probably wouldn't have called for backup though, because he was lazy as it was since he didn't even want to right you a ticket after pulling you over. I think he was trying to suprise you and make you get nervous.

I had this happen one time on I-80 coming through Berkeley at night. I passed this black car and I noticed it was a CrownVic, so I looked at the plates and they were not "(E)" plates, so I kept on rolling past him doing about 80mph. He jumped behind me and turned on his REDS! I moved over a lane so that I wouldn't get in trouble for blocking an emergency vehicle, and he stayed behind me. After following me for a couple off ramps or so, with me not pulling over, he flicked his RED light back off and went around me and took off. (probably feeling pretty STUPID!) He never used his siren just his light. I figured he was trying to scare me. Didn't work.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jmussetter said:
FWIW, In california the Penal Code handbook says that in order for you to be LEAGALLY BINDED into pulling over, ALL of the following MUST be true:

1) The police vehicle MUST be marked as such.
2) The police officer MUST be in uniform.
3) The police vehicle MUST present a RED light that is visible from 100ft away from in front of the police vehicle.
1) Police car wasn't marked
2) He wasn't in any type of uniform
3) Was a BLUE light, not red

This makes me want to go check local laws at the library!
Also, he threatened with a summons, not a ticket

Good story, by the way...sounds like you know the laws and got some balls, I dont know if I could just ignore the lights behind me...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, I do try to know as many of the laws as possible and the loopholes for each of them. That way, I know what I can do and can't do legally on the street, as well as knowing when I'm being a d*ck and when the other driver is being a d*ck. :)

This has been the only time I've had the balls to just keep on rolling. I don't put it to the test every time or anything, but it worked out that time.

The reason he probably threatened with a summons was because since he wasn't in an actual police cruiser used for traffic patrol, chances are, his speedometer isn't calibrated according to the law, thus, a ticket would be defendable and get out of it anyway. However, a summons would give you the opportunity to incriminate yourself infront of a judge just by telling the story, if you were'nt careful about what you said in court.

I'm glad you got out of it. I would suggest to everyone, to get the updated penal codes for their state each year when they come out. That's how I try to stay current.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think pulling over for an unmarked vehicle is entrapment. I don't know the laws here in CO but I think I would have a hard time pulling over for an unmarked car. A couple years back, a friend of my husband's pulled over for an unmarked car. Three guys came out of the car and pulled a gun on him. One of them got in the passenger seat and told him to drive. He told them to take the car but they wanted him along for the ride. Anyway, he was supposed to follow the car that they had pulled him over in. He drove a little ways with this gun aimed at his head, then he started to drive a kind of weird. Telling the gunman that he wasn't feeling too well and pretty much pretending to faint. A cop car saw his erractic driving and pulled him over. The guys in the other car took off and when my hubbie's friend pulled over for the cop, the gunman jumped out of the car and took off running. The cops found the gunman and the gun he had thrown out. He was very lucky. This is why I am very apprehensive about pulling over for an unmarked car. Anyone can get those flashing lights.
:eek:

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek:

That doesn't make me feel good. I guess if that would happen again I would pull over into something heavily populated like a shopping mall parking lot or something!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts