ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford reveals production 2012 Focus ST, shows off Euro-only Focus ST Wagon

Hot hatch fans have been waiting patiently for Ford to officially reveal its new Focus ST. Well, stop waiting and start securing your deposit, because the Blue Oval brand has finally pulled back the sheet and peeled off the camouflage. The 2012 Ford Focus ST will makes its global debut at this week's 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, and we've got all the details on the hi-po hatchback for you right here.

The Focus ST features a 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder under its hood, rated at 247 horsepower and an impressive 265 pound-feet of torque. ford focus st wagonA six-speed manual transmission should pair nicely with the torque-loving engine, which Ford says was painstakingly tuned to produce exquisite engine and exhaust notes by its sound engineers.

All of that go-fast energy is routed to the front wheels, and Ford says it has worked hard to alleviate torque-steer concerns with its electronic power assisted steering and torque steer compensation system. Both systems work together to minimize or eliminate the wheel-tugging effects often associated with higher horsepower front-wheel drivers.

The great news surrounding the 2012 Ford Focus ST is that it will be a global vehicle, sold in 40 markets. Even better news for European long roof fans is that Ford will produce a Focus ST wagon. American wagon fans... maybe you can rent one overseas someday.

Click: autoblog/ford focus st

Focus ST hatch Pics: autoblog/focus st

Focus ST wagon Pics ! : autoblog/ford focus st wagon !

·
Registered
479 Posts
If it was AWD I'd be all over it. I just can't get very excited about front wheel drive.
+1. I like the concept but if it was AWD, it would be a lot more excited.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
2013 Focus ST

I'd heard some friends talking about the Focus ST coming up, and I decided to check it out. WOW! It looks like a 5 door DB9! Check out that 3 gauge cluster! The exhaust is tuned to growl under power, and there a sound box that captures the engine pumping and pumps that sound into the cabin.

The best part, IMO? Those Recaro seats!!! :love:

Three years ago, I could never have gotten excited about a Ford Focus, but this little car looks fantastic!

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Æternum
20,623 Posts
They would have done well to add a LSD.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Oh man, sorry Weasel. My browser was acting up last night, and I barely got the post to work, let alone searching around. In my quick visual scan I missed the other post. Can we merginate it over to the other thread?

Thanks.

Sent using Tapatalk

(merged) all good

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
They would have done well to add a LSD.
Agreed. When I read that their torque vectoring system used the brakes on the inside wheel, I was kind of disappointed. Why have the power if you just convert the extra ponies to heat?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I was excited til I realized its just another FWD torque-oversteering hatch.

That interior is gorgeous though and I do like the looks...now just wonder about the price point...

·
Æternum
20,623 Posts
Agreed. When I read that their torque vectoring system used the brakes on the inside wheel, I was kind of disappointed. Why have the power if you just convert the extra ponies to heat?
Subaru does this too. All LSDs lose rotational momentum to heat: viscous lsds heat the silicone fluid; the STi clutch type loses energy through clutch engagement; quaife and torsen lsds lose energy to gearing inefficiencies. However, using the brakes to emulate an LSD loses energy AND contributes to brake fade.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Since I now actually drive to work instead of just driving once in a while I was looking for something a little more fun for a daily . . and have been eyeballing new toy cars as well. I thought I was sold on this as a fun commuter that would be good on MPG, functional as a hatch and a little bit of go when you mash the vertical pedal and was ready to buy one as soon as they came available. However, after seeing that Ford has stopped worrying about producing a better vehicle and instead spent their money and efforts on meddling with what's best for the internet, I don't intend on putting a dollar in their pocket anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I now actually drive to work instead of just driving once in a while I was looking for something a little more fun for a daily . . and have been eyeballing new toy cars as well. I thought I was sold on this as a fun commuter that would be good on MPG, functional as a hatch and a little bit of go when you mash the vertical pedal and was ready to buy one as soon as they came available. However, after seeing that Ford has stopped worrying about producing a better vehicle and instead spent their money and efforts on meddling with what's best for the internet, I don't intend on putting a dollar in their pocket anytime soon.

the car is def better (than previous gens) etc...... but damn i sure agree with you on the whole sync/internet bs

·
Registered
2 Posts
TLDR: Better choice for DD if you don't need AWD

I'll be buying a new car within a year to be my DD. This ST and the WRX are on the top of my list. I'm definitely leaning towards the ST though.

I live in California, where I don't need AWD to deal with snow. I do make a few Tahoe trips each winter, but I would usually take my brother's AWD crossover. Other than that, AWD is good for launching off the line. I am interested in getting some track time in, but it would be either autocross or circuit, not drag strip.

If you don't need AWD for snow or launching, then all it's doing is wasting gas through weight and more drivetrain loss.

The ST should hold similar power to a WRX from a roll (15 less hp, but just 3003 lbs), but we'll see what dynos actually say. It should be able to deliver that power reliably with its electronic torque vectoring system to reduce the symptoms of torque steer. It sounds to handle great based on this preview:

2013 Ford Focus ST First Ride - Feature - Car and Driver

It will get great gas mileage for the segment. The new Ford Escape with the same engine, but weighs ~3600lbs will get around 30mpg. It has a great interior with Recaro seats and Sync.

Of course keep in mind, most ST information is speculation. But driving dynamics, gas mileage, interior seem to all be wins. Power is there as well, just a hair below the MS3 and WRX, far ahead of the VW GTI, but just a hair below the MS3 and WRX. Less weight helps some though.

Euro spec sheet:

http://frankfurt2011.fordmedia.eu/documents/FocusST/FordFocusST_Specs_EU.pdf

The last page shows hp/torque curves. I like the look of that max torque at 2k rpm. We'll see if it transfers over to the real world.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh and also addressing a few concerns in this thread:

Yeah it doesn't have a true mechanical LSD, it will provide torque then brake the necessary individual wheel, such as an inner wheel in a turn. I'm not an expert so someone may correct on this topic. But the effect is the same as a mechanical LSD, but it is cheaper. Of course a true LSD is better, but not drastic. It would add to brake wear if you're pounding it through consecutive turns for an extended period of time. Many automakers use this type of system, including ones that supposedly handle well, like BMW. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but only the STI has LSD, and not the WRX?

Ford has spent some money tinkering with non performance things. They've been struggling with MyFordTouch issues, soon pushing out an update for that. But Sync is still fantastic. You can sync bluetooth to your phone, and say something like "Play artist: The Beatles." It will find The Beatles in your phone library and start playing, because it has speech-to-text. It has many other functions and they're implementing it to vehicles across the board. So they are committed to keeping it supported and rolling out new features. Soon to be on the Focus (currenly on other cars) is Applink, which applies voice commands to a select few (very few) apps such as Pandora. I wish they had a simple app mirroring without voice command though so that they could get some larger app support.

They have also been spending time tuning the sound on this car, which is a good thing to me though. But it probably won't sound like a nice 2.5 boxer.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I can't speak for sure on the newer cars, but my Bugeye has an open front diff, viscous middle, and LSD in the rear. I know the latest generation has an open rear diff, not sure what prompted the change.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Don't current GTI's use braking to control torque steer? Or am I making that up.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts