Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well kids,
its been a long time in the works, but finally mark has the dyno numbers off of the turbo that i sent forced performance to have modified.

For a quick review this is a stock WRX housing with new internals.

I will not say exactly what is done to the turbo, but if you call forced performance and they want to tell you that information feel free to post it here. I know what they have done, but i dont what to give away any information

Here is the information that you need to know

Baseline dyno runs (untuned)
[email protected] 15.6psi of boost
235ft/lbs

Mark made several remarks.

1. He thought that this turbo upgrade could support much, much more boost, but that the stock fuel system is starting to max out.

2. He is looking to tune the A/F ratios to closer to 12:1 from the 11.2-11.6:1 that they are right now.

3. He expects that he could pick up 20hp easy with race gas

4. This turbo matches the performance of the 1818, but spools much quicker, AND will likely cost a whole bunch less.

5. He noted that outlet temps are MUCH cooler with this turbo than the stocker at the same boost. In fact the stock intercooler is hot to the touch after a dyno run when this boost setting is run, but with this turbo, the intercooler is still quite cool... actually cold.

modifications to the car
Turboxs unichip
Turboxs exhaust with high flow cat

Remember this is a very rough tuned car, they expect they can bump it up quite a bit with some dyno work.

Not bad for at totally stock looking turbo...

The turboxs guys will jump in here soon to give more details and driving impressions.

Forced performance will do the turbo modifications to your stock turbo, and turboxs will have unichip ECU maps for it... pretty good team if you ask me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanks for the tip!!!!:D Do you know of any other place I can find info on dyno numbers and stuff like that, i saw the post on i-club but everyting there seemed like speculation. I guess I will just give them a call too just wanted to see any extra research I could do.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
I Assume

that that $595 doesn't include the unichip, or the tuning correct?

is it not a good idea to run this thing with just an MBC and the rest stock? will they remap the stock chip?

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
DR,

I just got done talking to John at Forced Performance. He promised one day turn around on the turbo, so what you do is: take off your turbo, send it to FP with $595, and wait for it to come back. He said the turbo will give you 300HP (crank) on 15psi with a Unichip. Adding exhaust, and a fuel pump, you can run 17-18psi for more power with no problem. They haven't done any testing at highet boost levels for lack of bigger fuel injectors.
This sounds like a great daily driver turbo and I think this is the way that I'm going to go. You can't beat that price!

Check out the other thread for the Turbo Specialties Hybrid.

-Jim

·
Registered
383 Posts
The modifications ot the car that dynoed 246hp with this turbo above list turboxs unichip and turboxs exhaust. Is that just the axle back, dp back, or turbo back? And seeing as how it was run with a unichip, it wasn't totally 'un-tuned'. It still looks tempting tho.

VV

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you say "New internals" I'm assuming you mean new pistons and rods and stuff right? Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
polkband,

Yes, "internals" refer to pistons and con rods and the crank, which is unnecessary because the WRX already has a forged crank. These are also refered to as the "bottom end" of an engine.

-Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pretty sure the "internals" that nmyeti was referring to are the turbo's internals (the turbines, etc.)

-JT

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Nice catch, gonnagetawrx.

I guess I should have read the thread first. ;) Taken out of context, I lost sight of the true meaning of the question.
You are correct. The "new internals" in nmyeti's post refer to the turbine and compressor wheels which replace the existing parts in the stock turbo's housing. In general, my above definition applies.

-Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had the Forced Performance turbo upgrade installed today by ISR in Huntington Beach, CA. I also had the M2 uppipe installed also. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I LOVE IT!!! I also have a Hitech turbo back exhaust, and I have ordered the unichip mapped for this turbo from Turbo XS.

For the money guys it's the way to go!!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Another satisfied customer...

I need to get my hands on a stock turbo. If I can't get one, I'm just going to go another route. I might just go all out and get a killer turbo, with all custom piping, an external wastegate, and a custom exhaust system. I mean, if I'm going to start spending thousands of dollars, why not?

-Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Jim,

Call Forced Performance, I am sending them my core today, when I ordered my turbo they just happened to have a finished turbo so they sent it to me and I am shipping out my core today. You may be able to get them to ship you mine and send them yours, that is.. if you are interested in this set up.

Rooster

·
Registered
211 Posts
My spare turbo is on the way to Forced Performance as we speak too! I should have it back, and installed in my car by next week-end......(19th)

I can't wait......!!!

I have the Vishnu up-pipe, and a full turbo-back exhaust..... installed..... works great! Sounds awesome...... no cels so far either..... have been running it pretty hard since last Saturday......

·
Registered
211 Posts
I actually kind of pieced it together...

Started off with Stromung's cat-back exhaust, then bought their 3rd cat-eliminator, then their down-pipe... along with Vishnu's up-pipe....

I think I will be putting the 3rd cat on, just for a little tree saving and police show and tell.......just in case.....

I don't have a replacement ecu yet to lean out the fuel yet.... so the cat will be the best option, plus Stromung had mentioned that that cat was about as good as a "high flow" cat anyways, he said Subaru made it really efficient.

If there is going to be a cat in the system, I want it to be as far down the pipe as possible......

Without the Vishnu, I think I paid about $900 but not really sure..... it's been a while.....I don't keep receipts very often...

·
Registered
295 Posts
So lets hear some more feedback with folks that have this turbo installed.

I just sent mine off, but I gotta wait about 3 more weeks til my Unichip shows up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts