ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading rear sway bar to add more oversteer characteristic to my car.

What was your first reaction when you have upgraded the rear sway bar? did it make noticeable difference in the handling?

:)

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
It made an enormous difference - even on my car with stock suspension and tires. 22mm seems great for me, but I may adjust it down one notch for more neutral handling.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I second,third etc..

I put the Whitelines on my wagon ( 2002 ) both front and back. As well as the ALK. The thing is perfect for my driving style. Although I prolly should get at least new springs. Looking at the STI pinks for the wagon.

·
Registered
419 Posts
blarg said:
20mm for neutral handling

22-24mm if you want oversteer.
On the 2002-2003 WRX sedan, the stock rear swaybar is 20mm and the car definately understeers.

I have my Cusco rear swaybar set to 23mm (stock endlinks). I also have eibach prokit springs and a custom alignment with -1 degree of camber in front (all other settings are stock). My car still understeers slightly. A little understeer is safe to have.

The first time that I experienced lift throttle oversteer (on a previous car with a big aftermarket rear swaybar), it scared the isht out of me. If you are going to make changes that decrease understeer, make sure that you understand what the car is likely to do, how to drive with it, and when it could be a problem (i.e., downhill, off camber, decreasing radius, limited visibility turn).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich10 said:
On the 2002-2003 WRX sedan, the stock rear swaybar is 20mm and the car definately understeers.

I have my Cusco rear swaybar set to 23mm (stock endlinks). I also have eibach prokit springs and a custom alignment with -1 degree of camber in front (all other settings are stock). My car still understeers slightly. A little understeer is safe to have.

The first time that I experienced lift throttle oversteer (on a previous car with a big aftermarket rear swaybar), it scared the isht out of me. If you are going to make changes that decrease understeer, make sure that you understand what the car is likely to do, how to drive with it, and when it could be a problem (i.e., downhill, off camber, decreasing radius, limited visibility turn).
Please elaborate on "lift throttle oversteer".

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I thought it was the just the 02's have the 20mm sway bar, which is why I bought a sway bar for my 03. :confused:

The only thing I felt was the car seems to "snap" around quick corners, before it felt like I was towing something and had to wait for the tail over the car to come around, but I am at the softest setting.

·
Registered
854 Posts
WRXreX said:
What was your first reaction when you have upgraded the rear sway bar?
WOooHHHHOoo!:D :eek3:

This is the best upgrade I done so far (better have good tires though, I already did). The thing with suspension mods is this that everything you install takes away from or compliments other suspension components on the car. But if everything is done in the right order, improvement will always be had. Adding a rear sway takes from the front bar adding stiffness to the rear and granting more oversteer. Adding a larger than stock bar up front takes from the new bar in the rear but over all helps improve handling. Tires is one of the few sus. upgrades that don't take from anything and just adds.

I have the Whiteline rear 22-26mm Adjustable rear bar with the Whiteline alloy endlinks. Huge difference! Just remember you have stock plastic rear endlinks, they will need to be replaced. Also, I noticed you have an 02 so you should replace the rear sway mounts. They'll snap like twigs with a bigger rear bar. You can get a set of the beefy 04 mounts for like about $30.

Just like Rancid said, our cars like to push or understeer when under throttle. When you lift throttle, the car likes to overtseer. Learning to use this with the addition of suspension upgrades will be huge for handling and make the car's feeling more impressive and safe. I've seen a few wrecked Rexs because of the oversteer on lifted throttle when going into a turn hot. The car with the right upgrades will act like a rearwheel drive car, drifting around a turn but unlike rear wheel drive cars, will quickly correct itself with a little throttle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
WRXreX said:
Please elaborate on "lift throttle oversteer".
If you have a neutrally balanced car and you are going around a turn at a steady rate of speed you should not understeer or oversteer (all four tires slide). If during the middle of this turn you lift off the gas (or worse press the brakes), the car will decelerate and weight will transfer from the rear wheels to the front wheels. This decreases the amount of grip available at the rear wheels (while increasing the grip in front) and will make the rear of the car swing out. In the worst case, this can lead to a spin.

A car that understeers is more stable when decelerating in a turn.

Edited for spelling

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
yeah I have a wagon so for me the 20mm rsb was an upgrade. the 02-03 sedans that come with a 20mm are set up to understeer with the 20mm so you'll need to go higher. i think 04 sedans and wagons have 17mm's and sti's have the 20mm, and in 05 the all the sedans/wagons/STi's have 17mm's. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Are there any real differences between the different companies' sway bars (Perrin, Whiteline, Cusco, Helix . . .). I'm looking at getting a new rear sway bar for my wagon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rich10 said:
If you have a neutrally balanced car and you are going around a turn at a steady rate of speed you should not understeer or oversteer (all four tires slide). If during the middle of this turn you lift off the gas (or worse press the brakes), the car will decelerate and weight will transfer from the rear wheels to the front wheels. This decreases the amount of grip available at the rear wheels (while increasing the grip in front) and will make the rear of the car swing out. In the worst case, this can lead to a spin.

A car that understeers is more stable when decelerating in a turn.
I agree with your post.

I upgraded my rear swaybar (my '02 had the 20mm) and for a daily drivin car its a great upgrade because you aren't cornering at full force so the added oversteer characteristics make it feel sporty. At the edge, it definitely oversteers and wouldn't be good for a track day, I'd most likely put the 20mm back in if I didn't have the front upgraded and the suspension upgraded as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts