ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this current moment I plan on going with Perrin's instructions for installing the uppipe. (I got the ATR). I'd rather not remove the turbo if I don't have to. At any rate, where do you jack up the engine per the instructions? (Like, where is it safe?) Any tips before I do this? Also... the O2 sensor wrench, is this a standard socket wrench just really big or do I really need to go buy a special wrench? Finally, does anyone have torque specs for the bolts? I hate not torqueing things properly. Thanks in advance!

·
5,799 Posts
Unless you want to repeat the installation several times, remove the turbo and go in from the top. Really, it's not that difficult. The chances of a leak seem to be significantly reduced using this method. Also, just because you don't have a leak when the install is complete, does not mean the installation was successful. I have seen leaks occur anywhere from a few days to a few months after the installation. This is noted from first-hand experience on my own vehicle, and observations with two friends vehicles.

With regard to the O2 sensor; I just trimmed the heat shield. This makes future (re)installations much easier. ;)

Torque specs:

Cross-pipe to manifolds 26 ft-lb
Manifold to block 26 ft-lb
RH Manifold to uppipe 26 ft-lb
Downpipe to turbocharger 26 ft-lb
Downpipe to catpipe 13 ft-lb
Uppipe to turbocharger 26 ft-lb

-Pace

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used the perrin instructions also (to install my vishnu uppipe) but I would also suggest using the instructions on the vishnu website. I think the order of tightening on the vishnu instructions are better in preventing leaks.

It took me 4 hours by myself including breaks to complete the uppipe install. It's really not that difficult as long as you go through the instructions carefully. Make sure to soak ALL the bolts with wd40 (or something along the same lines). You can get an O2 socket from autozone, pep boys, or any local auto parts store. This tool alone will make things MUCH easier and you don't have to deal with cutting up the heat shield on the manifold. (But there's nothing wrong with that route either). I would suggest getting new gaskets for the uppipe/manifold and uppipe/turbo. These are the area's most prone to leak and it's better to do it right the first time than having to go back and do it again. Some people suggest using copper make-a-gasket in conjunction with new gaskets, but I'm unsure of how that will last/work given that the temps in that area exceed the 700 F heat rating on the make-a-gasket.

BTW, if you plan on jacking up the engine, use the oil pan. MAKE SURE to use a wood block or you might put a huge dent or even puncture a hole into your oil pan. The perrin instr. tells you which engine mount bolt to loosen and such. (Passenger side)

Per Paces post, definately torque to spec.

Hope this helps some.

-James-

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For those of you who did your own up-pipe install... or have removed the downpipe..

There's a bolt that holds the downpipe in the side of the transmission housing. It's an anondized 12mm if I remember correctly. At any rate, does anyone remember if this is supposed to have a washer? I'm thinking I may have gotten it mixed up with the bolt that I took off the front midpipe hanger and it may be too longer and rubbing against something. Is this just silly? The other possibility I guess is I have a heatshield rattling and the more the engine spins the more rattle I get.

Oh... I'm getting a weird noise after the up-pipe install, kinda sounds like a heat shield rattling when the engine is rev'ing (doesn't have to be WOT or at any particular boost), and it sounds like some vibrating against something else and gets higher in pitch with more revs.

Oh ya, car runs perfectly fine otherwise. Better spool-up, no CEL, and I notice the engine temp staying a little lower.

Maybe someone could even scan in the page out of the repair manual with the downpipe and how to install and remove it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
yup, i got the same vibration noise, I assume it comes from the heat shield, I will remove the heat shild and run my car for a while to see if the noise is gone. if it is, I will trim the heatshield for the extra material that used to be bolted to teh uppipe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts