Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend emailed me this pic. It's pretty funny...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This one has nothing to do with F & F, but I thought it to be humorous as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
i dont mind when people Rag on FAF, but when they start dissing on Vin Deisel...it gets serious! Im going to knock some teeth out. Have you seen him in Pitch Black? ...ya, thats right, Shuddup. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Jtek said:
i dont mind when people Rag on FAF, but when they start dissing on Vin Deisel...it gets serious! Im going to knock some teeth out. Have you seen him in Pitch Black? ...ya, thats right, Shuddup. :D
wow...pitch black...I'm surprised he didn't win an Oscar for that one....:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
WRXin' said:
My friend emailed me this pic. It's pretty funny...
Now THAT's funny! F & F had so much homoerotic subtext, it was worthy of feminist college study.

"Pitch Black"? Isn't that the sci-fi "Aliens" rip off where VIn Diesel had the same constipated facial expression with glow-in-the-dark contact lenses throughout the whole movie?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Yes it is....basically, land on a planet where it's never night...he's a psychokiller, the rest of the crew just "happened" to be like colonists or something. They go looking for civilization..blah blah blah, evil aliens, Vin Diesel saves the day, yadda yadda yadda. I have to say though that at least in that movie he didn't seem like such a tool. In FAF, he made himself look retarded by not knowing what a real auto enthusiast was all about (aka, NoS is everything...yeah right)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
In Pitch Black a normal passenger plane (ship in that time) is hit by something and has to crash land. Vin was a prisoner that was aboard that ship being transported by a bounty hunter. They crash and try to find shelter, water, etc. They find a small village that was deserted. It's never got dark because of the multiple suns. Once every, alot of years, the suns align behind the moon and it gets dark for a year (I think). When it gets dark, thousands of these creatures come out to kill the remaining crew who crashed. Vin can see it the dark because he had his eyes glazed while in jail. And he kicks some serious a-- while saving the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Timdog1650 said:


wow...pitch black...I'm surprised he didn't win an Oscar for that one....:rolleyes:
Ditto. That was a stupid arse movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
The only thing worth seeing in any of those films was Vin:eek: . Of course I am soo obviously biased because of his physical attributes. I don't think F&F was THAT bad. Especially when I think of the really BAD movies I've gone to see like that haunted house movie, that Liam Neison was in. That was HORRIBLE.

I think Vin is cool but sometimes, the movies he picks to do aren't that great. If I made as much $$ as he does, I'd do any F'n movie out there(except for anything that has to have the words, softcore or hardcore somewhere in the title;) )

When F&F2 comes out, I will wait until it comes out on DSS. I like Vin but not enough to go to the theatres and sit with a bunch of young riceburners. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WOOOOOOOOOOOW... for all you people that missed the point of Pitch Black, allow me to make a fool of you...

Pitch Black was more than just an Aliens rip off and showing off Vin's badassness. You people obviously only seen it once, judged it and missed the underlying subtext (for those non-film literate, subtext is the theme or purpose, direction of the story). Pitch Black is about a two characters who struggle throughout the story. One is the woman captain, Caroline. She ditches 40 passengers in order to save her own ass in the beginning...and she struggles to grasp a sense of leadership and responsiblity towards the end. The other is Vin Deisel's character, Riddick. His character develops much like Caroline's but in a different manner. At first he cares not for anyone else but himself, but through the existing crew's compassion he grows into a more human character than when he started. The night-dwelling aliens were only part of the story but wasnt the main beef. The movie was about the people.

And from a Cinematic point of view...the crash scene was one of the most well done. Also, most of the movie's shots followed the 3/4 positioning formula.

Pitch Black also used light as a life giving stipulation, which IMHO was a very imaginative and original idea. This concept dives deeper into the idea that "light gives life".

And does an oscar determine what a good actor is? I know numerous actors/actresses that have done a good job who dont have oscars.

-Jae-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,750 Posts
I actually enjoyed Pitch Black myself, not only from what Jtek described, but also because of Vin's "badassness."

I can totally understand why people thought it sucked though :) I myself tend to watch movies (and anime) differently from most of my friends...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
to the people who liked pitch black, arnt they making a movie called the cronicals of riddick and that movie is the reason vin isnt gonna be in F&F2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
joethesajin said:
to the people who liked pitch black, arnt they making a movie called the cronicals of riddick and that movie is the reason vin isnt gonna be in F&F2
YES! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
Yes it is....basically, land on a planet where it's never night...he's a psychokiller, the rest of the crew just "happened" to be like colonists or something. They go looking for civilization..blah blah blah, evil aliens, Vin Diesel saves the day, yadda yadda yadda. I have to say though that at least in that movie he didn't seem like such a tool. In FAF, he made himself look retarded by not knowing what a real auto enthusiast was all about (aka, NoS is everything...yeah right)
obviously you can make any movie sound ridiculous... :p

Oh, and you prolly think Vin Diesel wrote the dialog to Fast and Furious too? :rolleyes:





Im assuming by everyone's silence, that no one can prove otherwise!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Sounds like...

WR Xilr8 said:
In Pitch Black a normal passenger plane (ship in that time) is hit by something and has to crash land. Vin was a prisoner that was aboard that ship being transported by a bounty hunter. They crash and try to find shelter, water, etc. They find a small village that was deserted. It's never got dark because of the multiple suns. Once every, alot of years, the suns align behind the moon and it gets dark for a year (I think). When it gets dark, thousands of these creatures come out to kill the remaining crew who crashed. Vin can see it the dark because he had his eyes glazed while in jail. And he kicks some serious a-- while saving the day.

Wasn't this premise similar to" John Carpenters Ghosts of Mars " ???

Also, Has Anyone noticed the storyline correlations between F&F and Point Break ??? Keanu Reeves ROCKS.....:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Moderator Maximus...

A couple of us here in the office greatly appreciated your indepth and thoughtful analysis of "Pitch Black."

I tend to think that people tend to take movies like "Pitch Black" too seriously. Its difficult for some people to get let go of issues of realism and other various pretenses about a films validity. A movie like "Pitch Black" is most enjoyed when you simply sit back and allow yourself to be entertained.

Furthermore, if you are a student of film it is nice to notice that they (the directors) seem to have gone the extra mile to infuse the film with cenematic qualities that other films commonly overlook.

I for one think that the script and Vin Diesel for that matter did a very good job of first establishing the grusomeness of the villan character (Riddick), and then turning him into someone who ultimately you cared for and wanted to know more about.

I think the first film left us with a thirst for the history of the villan character, which is ultimately leading into the sequel. I just hope that the next film will be able to succeed in developing his character in reverse, since I understand it to be a prequel.

We shall see I suppose.

Good Times!

Garret
World One
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
worldone,

thanx...although what i explained is only skin deep in terms of analyzing film. Trust me, if we went any deeper we would start comparing the male dominance war between a slave (riddick) and master (Johns)...and also the whole thing with the question of religion from the muslim leader (who's three students were killed).

Im just simply explaining what the film was trying to say about Riddick.

I do agree with you about the "sitting back and being entertained" , although, i also believe you should at least get something from the film or even be MOVED by it. I believe all directors are trying to express something in thier films (except for Jackass the Movie ). It would be silly to overlook what they have to say, and simply be entertained for 2 hours enjoying popcorn.

but back to Vin Diesel, some of you may not know, but he went out of his way to establish himself as the "universal" man or "race-less" entity in films. He's the everyman.

-Jae-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Thirst for villainy? HIGHLANDER! Wow... What a great movie... The Crow... Another great one... Pitch Black is in my DVD collection as well.

Talk about homoerotic subtext - check out Van Wilder. :D

TFATF was absolutely corny - but that's only because we're slightly "in the know" about the subject of the movie. I'm sure Apollo 13 and Space Cowboys made anybody with an interest in aeronautics just cringe with it's inaccuracies but you have to admit they made good movies...

Suspension of disbelief caters to those who aren't experts in the subject matter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Jtek said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WOOOOOOOOOOOW... for all you people that missed the point of Pitch Black, allow me to make a fool of you...

Pitch Black was more than just an Aliens rip off and showing off Vin's badassness. You people obviously only seen it once, judged it and missed the underlying subtext (for those non-film literate, subtext is the theme or purpose, direction of the story). Pitch Black is about a two characters who struggle throughout the story. One is the woman captain, Caroline. She ditches 40 passengers in order to save her own ass in the beginning...and she struggles to grasp a sense of leadership and responsiblity towards the end. The other is Vin Deisel's character, Riddick. His character develops much like Caroline's but in a different manner. At first he cares not for anyone else but himself, but through the existing crew's compassion he grows into a more human character than when he started. The night-dwelling aliens were only part of the story but wasnt the main beef. The movie was about the people.

And from a Cinematic point of view...the crash scene was one of the most well done. Also, most of the movie's shots followed the 3/4 positioning formula.

Pitch Black also used light as a life giving stipulation, which IMHO was a very imaginative and original idea. This concept dives deeper into the idea that "light gives life".

And does an oscar determine what a good actor is? I know numerous actors/actresses that have done a good job who dont have oscars.

-Jae-


Wait....wtf? Are you serious? I don't think it was even meant to be a profound journey of emotional discovery. Sure what you said about the cinematography was right, but it was a horror flick! Anyway, that's just imo.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top