ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, not sure what section this shouldhave been in, and i didnt find much from searching. I have a cold air intake in my 06 wrx, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the passenger (or both) foglight for some direct air to it? Would this be a really bad idea in rain? And has anyone done this that can give an opinion on it? Thanks :wiggles:

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What CAI do you have? My APS 65mm locates the filter right near the outlet for the OE plastic scoop.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
raabguy said:
its a injen cai, the filter seems to sit right behind the foglight
Do you have a custom tune? Injen is notorious for throwing off MAF readings

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i put that in along with a catless downpipe, catback, and boost control solenoid and brought it for a tune

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
First off, not sure what section this shouldhave been in, and i didnt find much from searching. I have a cold air intake in my 06 wrx, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the passenger (or both) foglight for some direct air to it? Would this be a really bad idea in rain? And has anyone done this that can give an opinion on it? Thanks :wiggles:
This would be a horrible idea.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Because you're opening up a direct pathway for water injection.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
/\ Basically and getting the filter dirtier twice as fast or catching a plastic bag or other road garbage onto the filter. The intake will be perfectly fine pulling in ambient air in the fender well where it is somewhat protected. In my opinion your not receiving any measurable performance benefit from removing the foglight. Same thing with trying to install a true ram air system.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Makes sense :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i dont think it would be a "horrible" idea, but i do get your point. Anyway, i was going to put a screen on the inside of the opening, like chicken wire, so nothing would go into it like garbage and leaves/sticks. Not sure if i will yet, thanks for the input though!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How are you going to prevent water from going through the screen?

Just leave the foglight in. You're going to get more than enough airflow already with it there.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
How do you prevent water from going into the ram air scoop that comes stock, especially if you do a snorkus delete elbow? Same principle...

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
How do you prevent water from going into the ram air scoop that comes stock, especially if you do a snorkus delete elbow? Same principle...
You might want to think about that again......

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You might want to think about that again......
Yeah I know the hood closes over it...just devil's advocating it...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think the word "horrible" is the sticking point here... Not a good idea would cover it quite nicely as it "can" increase chances of water getting into the engine but that's relative to where you live in general and not a given that it will happen... As to the other points they are definitely true, and good points, the filter will get much dirtier much faster, it's not an improvement for CAI as compared to getting the air just from the fender, and the chances of sucking up garbage like plastic bags, leaves, dirt sprayed water etc are much higher...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts