Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really starting to consider a track setup for my car and was curious if anyone has heard of taking the foglights out and using that area as a brake cooling duct. Possible? Not worth it?

What do you think?

·
Registered
416 Posts
As far as I know the stock setup already has ducting running to the front brakes. Its the vents just below the stock foglights. Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong. They ALWAYS do.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that they were somewhat functional but I was thinking that something more would be needed for the heavy braking that is occuring on the track...maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
679 Posts
campbell said:
As far as I know the stock setup already has ducting running to the front brakes. Its the vents just below the stock foglights. Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong. They ALWAYS do.
Yeah, the holes under the foglights flow air to the brakes. If you take your fender/splash gaurd off, you'll see plastic ducting that directs air to the brakes. I was suprized to see them go to the trouble.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...interesting. I will take a closer look at that.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I noticed something weird...it's true there's a duct there, but on Jason's (PhreeZe's) car, they weren't there. We were doing the intake silencer mod and I was like "why do you have less plastic to remove than my car?" and what do you know, he didn't have the ducts...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe that is the case with me...i never noticed it before. i think that i would have noticed it cleaning and polishing the car...

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Mine doesn't have a duct that carries clear through, but rather the openings in the bumper pressurize the entire inside of the fender, then there are opening at the bck that let the pressure out to the back. Should still do quite a lot to cool the brakes though.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
mine has those ducts, but I haven't looked to see exactly where they go.. I always assumed they were to cool the brakes

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exactly what i was looking for...thanks :cool: :D

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
If your going to use your foglight area, I'd suggest buying brake ducts- they make a variety of sizes, including ones that would fit our foglight area perfectly- look at pegasus, racerswholesale, many others. I'd also reccomend good reinforced, high temp silicone brake duct hose.

Also ensure that the duct hose is pointed as close to the center of the rotor as possible- this is where you wan the air flow.

I'm currently working on a project to come up w/ duct that would fit our oe duct and teaming this w/ 2" (easier to work w/ than 3") high temp, reinforced hose. I'm wanting a setup I can just leave and still retain my foglights.

Big Sky

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big sky i am still a little ways off from starting this project...just want to get everything lined up...

if you figure something out with the stock intakes i would be very interested in what you have put together...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I was lucky they came oem on the 02's. This adds quite a bit more air and is in addition to the oem ducts. The oem ducts are a must do for anyone who doesn't have them- cheap and easy.

Big Sky

1 - 19 of 19 Posts