Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 WRX Premium
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I find the stock OEM fog lights leaving a lot to be desired, I want something that actually functions as fog lights and something in the 3000k range is preferred. I saw the JDM PIAA fogs but at $350 or so, that seems a bit much for a halogen fog light imo. Then I was looking at the OLM projector fogs with the HID option, but I've heard people having issues with them not working right and others say that style lens is not good for an actual fog light.

I also thought about just putting LED or HID bulbs in the stock lens, anyone tried that?

We get some bad fog around here in the cooler months so want something that is functional for bad weather, fog, rain, snow etc

Much thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I put 5k OLM LEDs in my stock fog light housing. So long as you put the bulbs in with the LEDs parallel to the ground, the light spread is fantastic and very bright.

I wouldn't recommend them for high-beam use (I have them right now, but meh), but they are excellent as fogs.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
HID/LED are not meant for fog light purposes; stick with halogens. The only time your fog lights should be on is when you are in heavy snow/rain/fog conditions where you need to be driving very slow. I have 25K miles on my Tacoma and I have used my fog lights a total of maybe three times.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
All I can say is that I also, rarely use fog lights; but when I do in actual fog, I find yellow light to be superior to white in cutting through the fog. (actually nothing "cuts through" the fog, but with yellow there is less reflection off the fog's water molecules making it easier to see)

·
Premium Member
2016 WRX Premium
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok thanks for the input people, I think I'm going to go with the SMY / IPF fog lights, they use a standard white halogen bulb but the lens is coated to make the projected light yellow. They also somehow have a blue tint to them when switched off which is kinda cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts