Subaru WRX Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah. Its a whole different driving experience. Although, who am I to talk? I've never been to a track... I've only done parking lot autox stuff... its a lot of fun though. I bet the Focus would do great in autox, the handling is great on that car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
JimmyNY said:
Yeah. Its a whole different driving experience. Although, who am I to talk? I've never been to a track... I've only done parking lot autox stuff... its a lot of fun though. I bet the Focus would do great in autox, the handling is great on that car.
True. Each car is unique and I'm definitely the weak link between me, the car and the course. Getting there though...

p.s. If anyone goes to the SCCA events at the Q in San Diego, hit me up! I'll be the cone crushing mad man in the Silver SVT Focus... :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ford SVE built 3 FR200 focus' that were all making over 300hp on stock internals. The zetec in the focus is not the same as the zetec in the ZX2 or contour, it has stronger rods. The SVT motor's downfall is its high CR. It runs like 10.2-1 stock. This makes FI very difficult. JRSC had a kit making 230 WHP, but it was not reliable enough to go mass prod. The new one will make 240 flywheel, or about 210 wheel hp. The SVTF does not need an LSD (to prevent wheelspin) because its traction control in undefeatable below 20 mph. An LSD would help quite a bit though for racing. Stock for stock, an SVTF will take a WRX to town in the turns, the handling on them is crazy, but in a drag race, they are no match, not yet anyway :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The Focus Handle better than the WRX???
WOW..
I know those cars can be very fast,,but never thought they could handle better cause of our AWD..
Whats Our AWD for??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes the SVY Focus is a little hottie, id love to have one as a daily commuter...i might pick one up in a year or two for that. Extremely good handling package overall...though getting a 13k Focus ZX3 and spending the 5k difference on parts would be neat too. I just wish Ford would get the quality issues figured out first, that company really has some issues.

Between a Mini CooperS, a Focus SVT, or a Civic Si, id go with the SVT, and know its just a SC away from being truly fast. I also like the idea of a pre-modded car in terms of suspension, tranny, etc...all one would need is a set of nice 16's with winter rubber, and a new stereo to have a great fun car.

As for the Cosworth AWD Focus, just an FYI, VW approved import of the Golf R32 here, a 2.4L VR6 with ~241hp, AWD, and perhaps 2 and 4 door configuration. Expect 5-10k a year with option for more, at a price between 25-30k. If Ford keeps its eyes open, they will try to chase the R32 with their Cosworth Focus. Maybe if it sells well we will see more premium hatchbacks.

The worst part of this to me is that Saab, the longtime hatch maker, left hatches just as they are heating up again.

Eventually makers will see that enthusiasts are willing to spend 25k (guessing) on a Focus with the right stuff...just like they are spending 25k on Golfs (337).

Man its a good time to be a car nut. Just saw a red SpecV yesterday, damn sharp.

Cheers,
Sameer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indeed.....Ford also experimented with a V6 focus which had the 2.5 litre SVT Contour Engine in it. If the 2.5 fits, then the 3.0 fits (same bottom), so that is another possibility to combat the V6 powered R32. Not nearly as likely, but possible.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.