Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this guy all over the place and he always tries to race me. I know it is not worth my time - i mean how fast could he be right. He has the boost and a/f gauge on the a pillar. Along with rims aero kit and a bunch or other rice crap. Anywaywe have a mutual friend and he tells me about his mods and times. Low 14's maybe high 13's??? Needless to say I'll believe it when I see it. Am i wrong or what? Thanks guys:cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but an SVT Focus is no match for a WRX. The only force fed SVT Focus option is a Jackson Racing supercharger system. Supposedly it brings the hp to 230, but I would like actual data, not estimates. Not sure about torque, but remember, you have AWD. He doesn't even have a LSD. If his times are low 14's I would say he's supercharged or spraying, or both, but I don't think so. Too bad he riced that car up. Those are very nice looking stock and great handling cars. He's missed the entire point of the vehicle.

Click Here This will give you the heads up on the Supercharger kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ummmmm.... actually I'm a large fan of the Duratec/I4 Zetec motors considering I have a SVT Duratec in my Cougar. And if you talk to alot of the Focus boards you will see that there is a Turbo for the I4 Zetec(Focus/Cougar/ZX2 motor) and it is making over 302 HP to the wheels!!!!!! With stock internals. It ran a 13.0something IIRC. It's a very quick little car. And I believe anything that can be used on the SVT Zetec can be used on the stock Zetec and vise versa. I know thats how it is with the Cougars and the SVT Contours hehe.:p And if he has any type of Emanage system or a cooling shot that baby will be burning tire all day long. You are correct about the car not even having LSD but if he can launch that car is gone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Over 302 to the wheels! Jesus!! Thats more than doubling their WHP, isn't it?

·
Registered
221 Posts
those turbo'd focus's are pretty bad a$$. Who said his ride is riced out:confused: If putting a decent turbo on your car means its riced out, then there are a lot of ricers on this board...

Too bad he riced that car up. Those are very nice looking stock and great handling cars. He's missed the entire point of the vehicle."

·
Registered
221 Posts
so rims and a factory kit are rice:confused: :confused:

my point is we havent even seen this car but because it isn't a rex it has to be riced out:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excesssive body kit - over exaggerated, definately aftermarket, with stickers, neon etc... I like the lines of the stock car too but it was completely overdone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those cars are so fast when turbo'd, if you race him keep us up to date

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
302 WHP not on a stock drivetrain.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Drod said:
302 WHP not on a stock drivetrain.
Agreed. I used to drive a ZX2 with the Zetec engine and you would be VERY fortunate to get over 230 hp on stock internals. Stock Zetec rods are cast and will shatter like glass. Granted, SVT has forged rods and a beefier engine altogether, but if JRSC can't get more than 230 hp safely then no turbo will get a stock Zetec to 302 whp. No way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I understand you doubt my info but do some research and check the Focus forums before you call BS.
But being the nice guy I am LOL I went there and found the info for ya.;)
So here ya go. Check their site out you will see what I was talking about. But by the way you were right I was wrong about the turbo'd Focus running 13's he's running 12's. Of course he has more than just a snap on turbo but the cars are capable of making huge HP and TQ.

Mike;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow. I knew those Zetec engines were pretty strong, but damn!! Thanks for the info, good stuff.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, I heard about that. I have always liked the ZX3 body, and I think it would be awesome if they came out with that.

I really like the way the automarket is going... STI, EVO, and possibly this new focus? Thats a lot of rally cars to hit the streets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saw the guy again but wasn't in my car. He made the mistake of trying to race my friends Supercharged 99 Z28. That wasn't even close. Car seemed pretty fast thought. I think it would be a drivers race. Still haven't gotten to talk to him yet but i'll let you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it really does have a turbo or even an SC on it, the kid either is a engineering genius or has a crap load of money, because there aren't any FI systems out for the SVT Focus yet. JRSC is releasing theirs at the beginning of next year (reporting between 207-220 whp), and Vortech has a centrifugal SC in the works (no est. power yet) which will also be released in about 6 months. No turbo kits even in the works as far as I know.

Its more than likely a turbo'd ZX3. They are normally in the low to mid 200's (hp & torque) at the wheels with stock internals, but yes, the cast iron rods are often letting go with much more than that. With some $600 (or so) crowler rods and wrist pins, people are getting into the 13's, and even some into the 12's now.

So, get him from a stop, and you shouldn't have ANY problems at all. From a decent roll, might be a different outcome, especially because of the weight difference.

p.s. Hello clubwrx :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Slick. Welcome. What kind of times do you run with your Focus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Seems like a pretty good crowd here, and since I was on the absolute verge of getting a beautiful custom ordered Silver WRX, it holds a "special place in my heart... awwwhhhh". Actually, I cancelled my order for my SVTF for a week, after test driving the WRX a couple of times, but eventually went with the SVTF... but that's a whole different story.

As for times, not sure. I know I would suck at drag racing probably (only experience on the strip was with a '96 vette), so I doubt it would be anything "impressive".

I'm going down the autoX/ road racing/ canyon run route, but so far, I suck at that too... :D Actually, I consider myself a damn good agressive everyday driver, but that seems to mean very little when you get on the track. Having to learn a whole new set of skills. Damn fun though...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts