Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, Im new to the import world let alone the Scooby world. Is a FMIC worth it or should I just get a new top mount. To be honest with you, the only reason i wanted a FMIC was for the looks. It really makes a car look sweet. Another question is i was looking for a full exhaust(down pipe, up pipe, and catback) system that wont corrupt my emissions test or my state inspection here in VA. They are pretty anal on this types of things. Last question is, if I were to upgrade my turbo, which one would least hurt my engine(daily driven) and give me the best power from 30mph-100mph. Thanks any info given.

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well from just looking around most of the WRC Obsessed people on here that have exhasut like the bosal Downpipe and Bosal Catback, some like the Invidia Catback, Borla cat-back, and some others.

To be honest i think A FMIC looks kick ass also but unless your car is heavily modified i don't really see the reason to invest that type of money...But It is your money and you can do what ever the hell you want to. If i had the Extra to burn i would buy one :)

From the Sti boards i hear alot of people like the V34 turbo. but you would have to invest in the fuel system and ecu management to control it. I;m new to this too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in VA as well. I have an APS DR500 fmic, aps intake. TXS stealthback(catless), scoobysport rear muffler, HKS uppipe, borla headers, txs UTEC, stock turbo, fuel pump, injectors...got 238hp at the wheels..

Va state inspections are a breeze to pass with this setup, nothing i have done will make the car fail that. Va emmisions is a different story. The no cat situation will most definatly make the car fail the emmisions inspection, I will need to install the TXS cat when the time comes for that...luckily it's only every two years.

As far as the nessecity of a FMIC I figure you can't go wrong. Yes it is a very expensive mod, and there are plenty of things that will make your car faster with less money. That being said, if you have any plans of upgrading the turbo I think it is a worthwhile mod. It does add a slight amount of lag(2-400rpms) but the top end improement is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
if you're sticking with the stock turbo, then there is no need (this is my opinion) for a fmic. upgrading turbo? fmic would give you better results, depeding on the application.

I don't know how e-check's are exactly done in va, but most say they can pass with 1 cat, but depends on the visual test. imo, go with a catless system and just put the stock dp back on when you go for the e-check.

i'd recommend godspeed up pipe+downpipe and it's really your choice on the muffler. muffler effect the sound of the exhaust the most. can check it out at www.godspeedinc.com

when (if) you're going for more power, pick up a vf30/vf34, some sti injectors, a walbro pump and a utec. that will give you a serious jump in power. then you would benefit from a fmic, or more so for the money you'd be spending. I don't know your budget either, and that would help.

anyway, hope it helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
An FMIC can offer substantial gains, but not really on the stock turbo. If you plan on keeping your stock turbo, I would simply get IC hoses and keep the stock IC. While a bigger TMIC would support more than 16psi, the stock turbo won't flow much higher than that anyways, so it becomes redundant.

If you're going to a larger turbo, even a VF30/34, an FMIC is a HUGE improvement over the stock or any aftermarket TMIC. The "lag" you pick up is almost undetectable and if you have a catless exhaust (as you should w/a new turbo), you'll feel it even less. In terms of power, an FMIC will give you a huge seat-of-the-pants gain as well as allow you to run more boost safely.

Going to an FMIC on my VF22 was absolutely worth it and I would reccomend it to anybody going to a new turbo.

-Michael

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your FMIC?!?!

Schaf..... What front mount are you running? Is it compatible with the fog lamps on a 04'? And can you really tell the difference in hoses? Thanks
Keith

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keith,

I'm running the Greddy front mount kit. I'm not sure if it works w/the fog-lamps on an 04' but I kind of doubt it. The piping routes right through where they were on my 02'. You don't really miss them though when they're gone.

The Greddy kit is a very cost-effective option, but if I were to do it today, I'd probably go with a setup from APS or TurboXS because of the installation ease and kit quality. The Greddy core is the perfect size for the IHI turbos and the piping is of great quality, but installation is not the easiest. The newer, more expensive kits come w/new bumper beams to make install a snap, and the installation hardware is of better quality (i.e. silicon pipe couplers).

In terms of horsepower gains however, the Greddy kit is outstanding. Before I installed it, my VF22 StageIV setup felt good, but it still was wheezing up top and couldn't effectively push more than 18psi or so on pump gas. Now, I can easily run 20psi on 94 octane and the car pulls substantially stronger at 18psi than it ever did before. Perhaps the most noticable difference is warm weather performance. With the top-mount, the car suffered immensely in hot weather, now the performance is far more consistent. On the highway, my FMIC equipped car will pull lengths on otherwise equal TMIC cars too (I've done this race multiple times....).

If you go w/a new turbo, go w/an FMIC! If you have specific questions regarding the install of the Greddy or what you need to fit it on your car, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help.

-Michael

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the help! Wheres a good place to buy the accessories? And what turbo is a good one for what im looking? I want good power from 25mph-100mph.... and where should i start with my goodies? Thanks so much guys!
Keith

·
Banned
601 Posts
In terms of horsepower gains however, the Greddy kit is outstanding. Before I installed it, my VF22 StageIV setup felt good, but it still was wheezing up top and couldn't effectively push more than 18psi or so on pump gas. Now, I can easily run 20psi on 94 octane and the car pulls substantially stronger at 18psi than it ever did before.
If your turbo flows more now at 18psi then it did b4, why do you feel the need to push 20psi?

-----Start Here-----

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been wonderin' about something;

I've read on many posts how the stock TMIC restricts flow up to 3psi. So............

Why couldn't you run the stock turbo at 17-19 psi with a FMIC or good TMIC? I know some will say it's 'out of the efficiency range' and 'blowing hot air'. But isn't cooling the charged air what an IC does? I don't think the stock turbo would last very long doing this, but who cares. I wanna burn it out so I can have an excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I said I can push 20psi on pump. I run 18.5psi daily though...

With the stock turbo, it is not the intercooler that is restricting the amount of boost you can run. The compressor itself is just too small to run 19psi for anything more than a split second. With the stock turbo, you will have the best results if you run 15-16psi in 3rd gear.

-Michael

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
As a note to the "burn out my turbo" question...I would highly recommend you not do this, because if your turbo does have catastrophic failure, then there is a likelihood of pieces of compressor blades flying through your engine at high speed, which would not only mean a new turbo, but a new shortblock. If you're gonna do it, do it right, not after you've broken your car.

Schaf, great post, and great point...what kind of numbers have you put down with the Greddy kit?

~Tim

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks Tim :)

In response to your question regarding power; I was actually scheduled to be dyno tuned at TurboXS tommorow, but I grenaded 2nd gear last week and am awaiting a transmission rebuild at RalliSpec on Feb. 11th so I will have to wait for that to be finished to hit the dyno! I'm expecting around 290-310whp on Pump Gas on TurboXS's dyno, which equates to about 270whp on a Mustang Dyno.

What will really tell the benefit of the front mount should be my trap times at the track, which I will know as soon as Cecil County Raceway opens up on Feb. 27th! I will certainly post some numbers regarding dyno and 1/4 mile performance as soon as I get them!

While my car is down, I've polished the IC pipes and replaced all the connectors with silicon ones :)

-Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before changing intercoolers, measure your post intercooler - pre manifold air temp first.

If your temp's are only 15' Celsius or so above ambient air temp's, then just fit a water sprayer to cool the intercooler. If your post intercooler temp's are 40' Celsius above ambient then fit a bigger intercooler/front mount.

Also, Dominic Rigoli (fastest WRX in the world, 8.98 1/4 mile) recommends not changing intercooler till you have a big enough turbo to push all that air through it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
gunk in FMIC

Don't you FMIC guys have to worry about road debris, dirt, pebbles, etc., messing up your intercooler? What about dirty, gritty slush in the winter? I'm considering an FMIC, but it'll mainly be used driving to work and to ski areas, in pretty foul weather.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
As a note to the "burn out my turbo" question...I would highly recommend you not do this, because if your turbo does have catastrophic failure, then there is a likelihood of pieces of compressor blades flying through your engine at high speed,
this is not true. there's a quite effective filter on the inside of the intercooler which would stop debris from entering the manifold.

jm2c
ken

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Re: gunk in FMIC

McBain said:
Don't you FMIC guys have to worry about road debris, dirt, pebbles, etc., messing up your intercooler? What about dirty, gritty slush in the winter? I'm considering an FMIC, but it'll mainly be used driving to work and to ski areas, in pretty foul weather.
I don't think it would be any different than getting debris through the scoop of the TMIC, just make sure you keep it clean, and free of obstructions. That includes snow. only air should be going through.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have to say, I experienced MORE bent fins on the top-mount than on my front mount. Not sure why, but to date, no issues w/debris and the front mount.

-Michael

1 - 20 of 25 Posts