ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an 06 WRX TR and just ordered a catback for my car. I'd like to put a FMIC kit on my car and was wondering if I was risking any damage to my car if I do this? What supporting mods would I need, etc? Also, if I install a BOV, like an HKS SSQV, will I get a CEL or could it cause my vehicle any harm as well or make it run differently? Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Unless your planning any turbo upgrades, the FMIC isn't necessary. Even then I would recommend the STi top mount. As for the BOV, does the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" come to mind?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That it does, but I honestly want the sound and have the money for it now, so will there be any issues? Also, w/ the fmic, in the distant future, I do plan to upgrade the turbo, but now, as is, w/ just the catback will it cause any problems in that set-up?

·
Registered
897 Posts
The BOV is going to do more than just give you sound...(idle problems, running rich, etc.)

Save your self the trouble. Please.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That just scared me away from a BOV, but w/ the FMIC, it'll have a pressure drop, what will that do necessarily besides a little lag?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
CAI are not popular on STI/WRX

Most use SRI - as only a few differint ones are known to be safe and not cause issues with the MAF readings. K&N Typhoon(my pick), SPT SRI, Cobb SRI, APS SRI, those or the stocker are what are known to work well, and that's pretty much what you will see on most of the forum's modded vehicles.

When the time comes (past 20psi, the stocker holds 20psi just fine - I know), get a forge recirculating bpv, or another aftermarket bpv. Do not do 50/50 recirc, do full recirc. There is a link in my sig that has a discussion about this, and links to be read on the issue. The fact of the matter is that the stock MAF is used to tune the fuel, when air is vented to atmosphere, the fuel is still provided as measured for the air which already went past the MAF. This fuel splashes into the cylinder and does not ignite, instead it mixes with the oil on the cylinder walls and blows it out on the exhaust stroke, increasing oil consumption dramatically, and also raising underhood friction as well as temperatures. Some cars are tuned via MAP instead of MAF and do not suffer from this problem at all. With a standalone you can tune the car with MAP.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So for more power, I should short ram, catted dp (to avoid boost creep?), up pipe, headers?, and what more before I upgrade my turbo?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
yes a fmic and bov will hurt your car unless you are tuned for it. A DP and EM would give you alot more power.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
So for more power, I should short ram, catted dp (to avoid boost creep?), up pipe, headers?, and what more before I upgrade my turbo?
First find a tuner in your area who is good and uses opensource. Discuss upgrades with him, and research what others have done here. Headers will typically sacrifice some low for some top end or some mid/top for some low. The stock headers on the car are not bad, and many people leave them alone for a while. A P&P job on the intake and exhaust side would probably yield better resuls. Consider a larger TMIC, and read up on meth injection, you might like it. Also start looking up six speed swaps, mine cost me about 4500, and I've heard of people doing it themselves for 3k, and paying anywhere between 4k-7k. The fun is in the details, start reading, start looking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
So I should be looking @ tuning already then. I was looking @ this on E-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ERZ-02-07-SUBARU-WRX-UP-PIPE-AND-DOWNPIPE-COMBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ019QQitemZ290208890545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Would I still be risking damage with these?

I might as well just buy an AP before I continue modding past a SRI?
Typically you get what you pay for, it is a bellmouth, but it's probably the worst bellmouth I've seen. It will work, but other downpipes would likely work better, same goes for the uppipe. Look for used deals on exhaust components, big deal it will have someone elses soot on it. I got my exhaust used for $150, that was the Bosal divorced dp, a gutted 3rd cat, and Cobb 3" SS CBE. Together new those would likely add up to a little shy of a grand.

You don't have to spend $600-700 on a AP, you can have the car tuned for $300-400, hell you can read and do it yourself with maps you can download for free, other maps you can pay for, and even some remote tuning options through logging depending on who you talk to.

http://www.romraider.com/

Take a look.

·
Registered
0 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts