Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i accelerate at WOT before my car is completely warmed up or after it idles for a few minutes, there is a loud fluttering noise at all rpms which sounds exactly like the wastegate. it sounds completely normal once warmed up though. is this a safety feature to prevent to much stress on the engine/turbo before it's warmed up? i only noticed this after i got the uppipe/downpipe installed and the turbo became slightly more audible ;)

also....i read in a couple threads that if i started my car 4 times in a row the CEL (from overboosting) would go away, so i tried it, but i think i messed something up. i started it, shut it off, and then i think i started it back up again too soon. it made a weird chirping noise (three or four quick, relatively quiet chirps) which i now hear every time i turn the ignition on/off. still have a CEL too (can i just reset the computer?...)

unfortunately, the first time i heard the fluttering (not the chirping) happened to be right after i tried the ignition thing, which was only two or three days after i got the UP/DP. i not sure if the "problems" are related, because i think i may have just warmed up my car better in that two or three days, but i thought i'd mention it.

Thanks for any help :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I get some fluttering around 3k rpm in first gear, and at around 2-3k in 2nd through 4th gear. I don't have to be in boost to hear it though, just have to have it at those revs. I have no idea what it is. Just for reference what side of the car do you hear you sound. I hear mine on the driver side and only when the windows are up, if they are down other sounds drown it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sound definitely comes from the turbo region....it has to be the wastegate. And it is definitely loud......today i redlined in first and went up to maybe 6000rpm in second right before it was completely warmed up just to test it. the flutter is extremely loud, like louder than the engine and the turbo loud, with windows up or down. i'm really not too worried about it because like i said before the flutter completely disappears once warmed up. has anyone else noticed this with an uppipe/downpipe in a relatively cold climate?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts