Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am still in shock...

I was driving home from work today in the rain. Out of no where Interstate 1-77 was completely flooded. I was 3 miles outside of Cleveland, so it isn't like it is a small back road.

Water was coming into my car like a water fall. Needless to say the car doesn't start anymore. I thought I would have fried everything, but I didn't. Everything in my car work. My s-afc, a/f gauge, radar detector, and all my factory guages work.

The only thing that doesn't happen in the car won't start. I have an injen intake on, and I tried to start the car with it. The intake was completely flooded (the water was up to mid wheel, and up to the shifter in the cabin)

My question is: do you think the water I sucked in is causing the car not to start? I think I might have water in the fuel line. How do I get that out? The car has been sitting for 3 hours now. I tried to start it, but no lick. It sounds like it will turn over, but no luck

Any ideas? Should I that the intake off and try to start it? I have to make a claim on it. My factory sub is shot. All 4 speakers work, but that one doens't

I think I might have a short to because the security light (the one that flashes when you activate the alarm) just stays on and won't go off.

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
generally with fresh water floods in vehicles, your insurance company will total out the vehicle and replace it for you... thats from what i have seen... so, dont worry about it and give your insurance company a call...

-Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
your not alone

i had a smiliar problem, a cop ran by in a SUV ford, not suire which one and sent water over the top of the hood and into the side. well all ended up good. carpet and all was removed same day by dealer, ECU and carpet were replaced. also the sparg plugs and coil paks had to be replaced, i also had an injen on mine and it was dry and they found no water in the engine.. keep fingers crossed and good luck..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your car man, that must really suck. I hope your insurance company takes care of it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was hoping that it was a bad dream...... it wasn't. The car still won't start.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the support. It really helps at a time like this. (applause to everyone here)

I have a feeling I got water into my intake, and then into the engine. I pulled the intake out and there was water in the hose to the engine. I imagine that is what is in the engine.

The ECU and all the wiring work fine. That is what is leaving me scratching my head. My S-AFC works fine, all my gauges work too. I would have thought the ECU would have been shot considering it was completely covered in water

I already filed a claim with the insurance man. He won't be able to come until Monday, so now I get to sit and look at my car in the garage. That is what is killing me. They told me to start drying it out and cleaning it up. I took about 80 pictures of the car though.

Oh well.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe it is called "hydrolock" where the engine is so saturated w/ water i.e. in the oil and gas tank. If I were you pull all your crap out and make it look as stock as possible. I am willing to bet they total her out. sorry bro:(

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Damn, this is just a bad day for Rexes :( Sorry to hear that man...I hope it all works out for the best in the end. I feel your pain :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took out my intake and put the stock air box in last night.

I checked the oil and there is water in there. Half of the dipstick is the normal oil color, but the bottom half is a nice tan color, meaning water.

Is there a way I can check to see if the gas has water in it?

Hopefully (knock on wood) all that needs to be done is drain the oil, change the plugs and just let the car dry out. It kills me because I want to do it myself, but I am afraid that when the insurance man comes and sees that I have been playing he won't help me

Man this stinks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn I hate hydrolock :( sorry to hear about your misfortunes man. My friend hydrolocked his motor with a CAI on a civic, I have heard of some motors being saved, but thats a rare find :( As long as your stock airbox is on there and not your intake you will be fine with insurance, but seeing that the intake is the cause of the hydrolock if it was on there when they checked it out, they would kick you to the curb. Have you called them yet? Are they gonna send out someone to look at your car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, tomorrow will be an interesting day. THe claims adjuster is coming out tomorrow. Last night I took the intake out and put it in my room. I put the stock air box back in. I could just imagine his/her reaction when I opened the hood and my intake was in there!

I am hoping that changing the oil, plugs and fluids will fix it

God I hope!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish you the best of luck tomorrow bud. I know how it is to have insurance adjusters come over to look at the damage :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
I seriously doubt water got into your oilpan through the turbo seals, so that pretty much means it went by/through your rings. How did the engine stop? Fast...was there a bang? Don't be surprised if you have a nice hole in the top of a piston. It is quite common to pop a piston if the valves don't mangle and let water out that way. Water isn't going to compress......

Best of luck,

VV

rugby9 said:
yeah, tomorrow will be an interesting day. THe claims adjuster is coming out tomorrow. Last night I took the intake out and put it in my room. I put the stock air box back in. I could just imagine his/her reaction when I opened the hood and my intake was in there!

I am hoping that changing the oil, plugs and fluids will fix it

God I hope!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I imagine that you'll end up with a new car. Let us know how today goes. Wish you the best!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am trying to remember how the engine stopped. The best I can remember is that it just stalled out. I don't remember hearing a bang. I am almost certain of that. I think I might have even stalled the engine out myself because i didn't put the car in neutral.

Everything happened so fast, it is hard to recall everything

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
OK, let's look at everything here:

You car is going to be totalled. Vehicle water damage simply cannot be repaired. Now, try to turn this into a postive. Yank all of your aftermarker stuff off. Tell your insurance company you want the car for salvage value.

Sell the engine and/ro powertrain to someone looking for a donor engine for a project motor (Dan at Godspeed comes to mind). Quite frankly, if you took the whole engine apart, let it dry, replaced all the seals and fluids, it would be good as new. This would be expensive as hell, unless you planned to built it up anyway...

Just a thought.

-Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got the news...

Fried ECU. Naturally they are backordered so I will be waiting anywhere from a week to a month until the ECU gets here

Would you make fun of grown man who wants to cry?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Just got the news...

rugby9 said:
Fried ECU. Naturally they are backordered so I will be waiting anywhere from a week to a month until the ECU gets here

Would you make fun of grown man who wants to cry?
It's gonna be OK, it's gonna be OK, just settle down now. It's not the end of the world, you know?....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know, but it still stinks.....

i am trying to find the silver lining in it. I guess it is cool that i am not putting any miles on my car for a while

1 - 20 of 26 Posts