Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know anything about flame-thrower exhausts? The only one I can find online is the spit-fire kit. Anyone have any suggestions? I wanna have my WRX light up the night.

·
Registered
907 Posts
sorry to say this but those flamethrower kits have definitely got to be on my top 10 dumb aftermarket products list.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything is better than ground effects or those stupid little wiper-fluid lights. Hahaha, or those huge spoilers...

·
Registered
161 Posts
tan said:
you tune the car to run super rich.
Removing all 3 cats should be enough to see some flame. Plus a spark plug wired to the tip of your exhaust ofcourse.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Flame throwing exhaust is from WAY back in the day. When V8 monsters had no cats, you could tune them super rich, rev them up and ignite the exhaust at the tip with a spark plug.

This isn't very practical on modern cars. (Like it was practical back then either. :rolleyes: )

-Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my FC RX-7 shooting flames, but then again that is after i did a bunch of work on it at one time and was tuning it, it was WAY rich...but after it was resolved...jeez i miss that car..it was a true track monster.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Nexus6 said:
YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE A TRUE FLAME THROWER?
Schweeeeeeeeeeeet!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Nexus6 said:
YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE A TRUE FLAME THROWER?
You could rig up some coat hangers with hot dogs and marshmellows surrounding your exhaust. Once you get to your destination, you'd have a nice little treat!

·
1,379 Posts
Actually, some rodders hook up an extra line to squirt gas or propane into the exhaust line and spark it on the way out. See the lead sled in Gone in 60 Seconds for an example of this.

Here is a commercial kit that supposedly works with fuel injected cars with cats:

Dragon Exhaust Inc

Good luck. Don't kill yourself. ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
Actually, some rodders hook up an extra line to squirt gas or propane into the exhaust line and spark it on the way out. See the lead sled in Gone in 60 Seconds for an example of this.

Here is a commercial kit that supposedly works with fuel injected cars with cats:

Dragon Exhaust Inc

Good luck. Don't kill yourself. ;)
Yep, that's an old 50's hot rodder trick, I would have posted similar but couldn't remember what it was that was dripped into the exhaust (my dad told me about it when we were building a Nova hatchback a long time ago)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
in the 50's, cars were made of metal...if you shot some flames out your ass your bumper would turn black, and then you'd go home, take out some chrome polish and wipe off the soot....if you do it in any moern car...you'll probably melt your bumper...and that shopping-cart handle you got on there (some people call them spoilers)...

seriously, if you run your car rich enough to shoot flames without taking out your cats first (you'd have to REALLY screw with the ECU) you'd burn them out and and if having burning exhaust running through your turbo doesn't roast it a chunk of catalyst will probably break off and launch itself into it.

oh yeah, if you start a forrest fire, you're gonna piss of a bunch of people you really don't want to piss off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here you go. In Australia we have a race series called SuperV8's.
These cars have about 600bph and are great fun to watch. But here is a pic of one throwing a huge flame out the side.
Simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts