ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 bent Rota SDR 17" wheels that Im thinking about having fixed. I have heard some people say its a bad idea to get them fixed (they will forever be weaker at the spot that was originally bent) and others say its worth it, just watch out for pot holes and dont fly over speed bumps. Im here asking for some feedback either way... anyone ever have bent rims fixed? Is it worth it for the cost? Are they really prone to further damage down the road? Are Rotas strong enough to be fixed and still have a lot of life left? Thanks all

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
You should just get new wheels.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
How much bent? A little ding may not be a problem, but a real bend is bad. The aluminum gets hard when bent, bending it back causes slight fractures and it's hard afterwards, will never bend again, just break. You can try for the same effect with a piece of number 10 copper wire. Once bent it gets hard, bend more often it breaks. It might be safer to stay away, your wheels could kill you, after all. At the very least be very aware and rather overly critical about it.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
Talk to a trusted repair shop and price used replacements vs fixing. Consider keeping the best bent rim as a full size spare post repair and altering your storage compartment carpet accordingly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had my enkei's welded and grinded after I hit a boulder. They straightened it afterwards and paintmatched the powdercoat. Cost $120. I used cliff jacobs repair, you just ship your wheel to them.

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
i had my enkei's welded and grinded after I hit a boulder. They straightened it afterwards and paintmatched the powdercoat. Cost $120. I used cliff jacobs repair, you just ship your wheel to them.
That just about sounds like the price of a brand new enkei doesnt it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feedback everyone. much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts