ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have five grand ive been saving up and i own a wrx 07 impreza . I want to mod the engine really nicely. Everything is still bone stock ,can anybody tell me what or give me a list of parts that i should get to make it a very fast car?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
See the link in my signature. To make the car illegal for use on public roads anywhere in the US, consider
Reflash
Down pipe
Turbo
Your injectors might be OK, check this
In any case, by virtue of you asking -- and you did well to ask -- you should have the work done by a shop. The shop will be able to give you a reasonable list along the lines above.
Save some money for a clutch, and hope you don't need any money for a gearbox, tickets, etc.

·
29,231 Posts
LMAO Thanks alot. i just wanna have a fast car for a reasonable price.
Fair enough. I would start "small" then and see if you are happy, there is no need to do everything at once. You could start with the exhaust and the flash and see what you think. If you want more, then you could look at the rest, and a second flash. True, you'd be paying for a flash twice, but you may never need to go there. Have you been to local meets? Might give you a few ideas seeing people's cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been to alot of the local meets. I have spoken to many people about there wrx's also. Mine already has the invidia full exh dont know if it has been tuned, but so far i want to push more power. Im always asking what should i do for more power and always im getting told to do bigger turbo and tune but i get that gut feeling that injectors and fuel pump might go just as well as a bigger turbo of course with a tune. By the ways we have Draco perfomance around these areas and im always told that those guys tune subies very nicely.

·
29,231 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with them personally. Injectors won't do anything for you as a main mod; they are a support mod for larger turbos. Find out if you have a tune. If not, get one yesterday. If you do and it's still not enough, then yes you are looking at turbos and potentially injectors (again, check this for your specific model) plus potentially an intercooler and certainly another tune.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been to alot of the local meets. I have spoken to many people about there wrx's also. Mine already has the invidia full exh dont know if it has been tuned, but so far i want to push more power. Im always asking what should i do for more power and always im getting told to do bigger turbo and tune but i get that gut feeling that injectors and fuel pump might go just as well as a bigger turbo of course with a tune. By the ways we have Draco perfomance around these areas and im always told that those guys tune subies very nicely.
Thanks, we do our best!

I have five grand ive been saving up and i own a wrx 07 impreza . I want to mod the engine really nicely. Everything is still bone stock ,can anybody tell me what or give me a list of parts that i should get to make it a very fast car?
The 2.5's are very responsive to minimum mods and a great protune. With just a few minor changes like our 3 port and a tune, we have seen as much as 30+ whp over stock with retaining all stock mods except for plugs and our 3 port. The difference with a good tune isn't just horsepower, it's the over all feel and response from every throttle position you have, not just wide open! You won't be dissappointed. In most cases, a good stage 1 or 2 tune is just a gateway drug for most users to bigger builds over the course of their ownership of the car, but there is still a large population that enjoys the gains and response of their stage 1 or 2 tune by us. {SNIP}

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Draco performance, please contact our administrator Tim (BlazinWRX) to become a clubwrx.net vendor.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
In addition... Your account has been warned in the past about unauthorized vending.

We'd love to have you as a vendor. Contact Tim as T0rque suggested.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The brakes are great on your model year. Upgrade pads, lines, fluid... will be cheap to do. Sways, endlinks, and some springs (epic, swift, RCE Regular Guys or STi Pinks). As far as engine... Used VF39 turbo, TMIC, Downpipe, 3port BCS and a tune.

You'll be well under 5000 dollars... WELL under... And you'll have a car to be reckoned with.

edit: To give an idea of cost: Pads 200-350, lines 100, brake fluid 15, sways 300-450, endlinks (f/r) 200, springs 350, vf39 350, tmic 300, downpipe 250-300, 3port 100, walbro 255lph fuel pump 100, tune 300-500.

So that's between 2,500 and 3,000 dollars for some high end, high quality parts that'll get you around 300whp, 330wtq, and give you a fun daily driver.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to start doing some handling upgrades as well as putting some money aside for a transmission upgrade before you "start making more power".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone and I will go to Draco to get my stuff added on or maybe i will come in with this page so you guys know who you have been helping out and thanks for all of the suggestions very helpful

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The brakes are great on your model year. Upgrade pads, lines, fluid... will be cheap to do. Sways, endlinks, and some springs (epic, swift, RCE Regular Guys or STi Pinks). As far as engine... Used VF39 turbo, TMIC, Downpipe, 3port BCS and a tune.

You'll be well under 5000 dollars... WELL under... And you'll have a car to be reckoned with.

edit: To give an idea of cost: Pads 200-350, lines 100, brake fluid 15, sways 300-450, endlinks (f/r) 200, springs 350, vf39 350, tmic 300, downpipe 250-300, 3port 100, walbro 255lph fuel pump 100, tune 300-500.

So that's between 2,500 and 3,000 dollars for some high end, high quality parts that'll get you around 300whp, 330wtq, and give you a fun daily driver.
Great advice Kevin. He definitely wants to do more suspension work and keep the engine work aligned with handling and braking upgrades. You missed one major upgrade though: Better tires. ;)

OP,
I'd just stick with stage 2 (i.e full TBE and tune) and do some handling/braking upgrades and drive the car like that for awhile, then decide whether to go with a bigger turbo, injectors, etc. Everything you do for stage 2 will be reusable with a bigger turbo other than your tune. You'll have to get a new tune every time you add any sort of engine mods.

Keep in mind Kevin is quoting just the prices of the parts and not any labor. You said you'll be needing a shop to do the mods, and the labor on that list Kevin has would run you probably $1500. Kevin also didn't list bigger injectors, which will run you another $100-150 and add some more labor so you should set aside at least $200 for those (you'll want STI pink injectors with a VF39). You'd also want to upgrade your struts to match the shorter springs which is another $300 (no need for extra labor since they'll have to take out the old ones to do the springs).

But like I said, start small and you can always add parts later to address the things you wish were better. So my list to start would be:
1. downpipe
2. Protune to go along with TBE
3. Swaybars and end links
4. Better tires - Since you're in Carolina you only need summer-specific ones. Depending on what kind of wheels are on there now, I'd consider buying a rim/tire package from tirerack.com once your current tires wear out and then sell your current OEM rims.
5. Better brake pads
6. Stainless brake lines
7. Better brake fluid
8. Springs and struts (plus alignment for $100)

To buy all of this and have a shop install it will run you about $4500. This is the $3000 Kevin said for parts plus the $1500 I said for labor, though of course I chopped out a few things Kevin listed that go along with a bigger turbo, though I did put in another $300 for struts he didn't have, and a lot for new rims and tires ($2000). I think he quoted prices that can be found, but are not easy to find and are going to take a lot of work and searching for used parts and specials. I think his list is closer to $4000 unless you do all that work and get a little lucky.

My mod list (or Kevin's) will make for an entirely different car than you're driving today and make it much faster, brake much better, and handle much better. It'll be a night and day difference to your current car. In the future if you decide you want to upgrade the power more via a bigger turbo, you can do the following:
1. bigger turbo
2. injectors
3. bigger TMIC
4. bigger fuel pump
5. retune (the only thing that you'll have to throw away from the first round of mods is your old tune, otherwise everything gets re-used).

Definitely think about your tires as being very, VERY high on your upgrade list. They're the only thing connecting your 3500 pound car to the road and make FAR more difference to the handling and braking of the car than anything else you do.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
he doesn't need bigger injectors. His are 565cc's stock. They'll handle the VF39 perfectly well. The 06+ WRXs come with 565cc injectors.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Also, the WRX Struts can handle a slight drop, and a mild increase in spring rates (ie the STi springs). So those would be a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Your post was very informative and I heart your face.

Love, T0rque.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so i guess to just get started i will do pink injectors vf39 turbo tmic fuel pump and a protune. This i guess will be my base to get started with. thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
pink injectors are the same size as the ones you currently have in your car. 06+ comes stock with 565 cc injectors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts