ClubWRX Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2103 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
no one must be into fitness anymore 🙂. I’m still chugging along- running/hiking about 30 miles a week

I got a little more serious with lifting, still just twice a week, but more focused with Wendler- week 19 and have made solid gains across the board with deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press. The beauty of it is I’m in the gym probably less time than I was before.

I’m 4 weeks out from my fourth Bob Marshall Open event; always a dousy, but this year a longer course (140-ish miles) and record snowpack and flows to contend with

should be fun 😄
Holy damn. The BMO looks like a hell of a trek. How long did it end up taking you? I can't even imagine attempting this.. my annual hike up to Mystic Lake seems tiring as it is...

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
well it was an "interesting" year to say the least- record snow levels lead to record flow levels, the fords of even the smallest of creeks were very challenging, the larger drainages were flat out dangerous

16 folks toed the line, only two were able to finish- I wasn't among the two; I ended up going about 85 miles (2.5 days) before bailing due to the dangerous fords- with a bonus 12 miles out to the nearest trailhead

still a great trip through some of the best country in the US

few pics

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
a 50-ish mile two day fastpack into the Bob Marshall; plan was to traverse the Chinese Wall by trail and that at the north terminus, get on top of it (off trail) and take it back south.

we were making good time, but about 25 miles in we ran into this

we tried getting on top where we were at (Cliff Mtn- aptly named btw :D), but after two hours of climbing/scouting it was a no go

so we found a good spot where we were at to camp

we've already made plans to tackle it again next, hopefully sans wildfire

·
Registered
168 Posts
@Bigsky figured I'd let you know that I did Hyalite Peak a couple weekends ago. Damn near killed me to get to the top, seemed like the trail was almost a 45 degree incline at the end. We got to the top and realized the view wasn't as good as we hoped due to the smoke, but it's still cool to say I've done it. I sat down at the top and met my Thermodynamics professor for the first time, which was pretty funny to see her up there. Once I stood up I realized something was wrong with my left nut, so I limped 8 miles back to the car, and that was one of the most painful experiences in my life. Breaking bones never hurt as bad because of the adrenaline that comes with it, but this was much much worse. Really didn't help that each step downwards (3700 feet down) bounced my undercarriage. Somehow didn't throw up, I actually had to choke it down a couple times haha. When I got home later Old Lefty was quite a bit larger than Mr. Right. Next day I was pretty much fine. Don't know what that was about! Overall the hike would've been much better if it was less smoky/painful, but I thought it was still pretty sweet. Now maybe if I do 3 times that I can be as cool as you?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Good job! That's a steep climb- I know because it's part of the Devil's Backbone race I've done several times- the race director leaves a deck of cards at the top, you have to show a card at the finish or you're dq'd :)

Just got back from Colorado and was able to cross off a bucket list run- the Pawnee-Buchanan Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness- a little over 28 miles and right at 8000' of gain (a lot of it is on the final climb to Pawnee Pass where you have 23-ish miles already under your belt). An extremely beautiful (and challenging!) loop.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
Mike what a landscape, wow!

·
28,288 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
another pretty epic trip recently- a early season, backcountry bison hunt-no horses, no mules- just strong legs and backs

bison was shot at 6-ish pm, we weren’t done skinning, boning meat and hanging it until after midnight- one person on watch with a rifle for grizzlies- pretty surreal with a bison down, a big fire, guys butchering and a large moon rising- save the headlamps, could have been a scene out of the 1800’s

two full days backpacking the meat out, all 600+ lbs of it 🙂

·
28,288 Posts
Werner Günthör weighed over 140kg in his prime. He could float across a room. Watch what he does at the end and you will want to end it all, he's unbe$&@!!king-lievable. He's 2m tall and moves like a gymnast. Oh! And he *wasn't* the best shot put thrower in the world. He came in... third at the Olympics. This is 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJECepNeCJ0

·
28,288 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
well I'm still keeping at it- running, hiking, snowshoeing/skiing; lifting twice a week (Wendler w/ a twist)

ended up with just under 2000 trail miles for 2018; several winter adventures thus far and the way winter is going, plenty more :)

·
28,288 Posts
Was just at the IWF event in Las Vegas. Epic time. Anyway, as the traffic back to CA was slow, I could not help but think of how fast the barbell has to move for a good lift. All I saw today was about speed and trajectory and getting under the bar at the count of zero. Get under it yesterday and stay under it. Here's Ilya Iliin. Watch the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhulfFggFw

·
28,288 Posts
Got depressed at aging while posting in another thread. Recently switched from Do-Win wood sole and leather dual strap shoes to much more modern Adidas Power Perfect III. I like them. Their heel is lower by 5mm or so and I actually don't mind that at all. Squatting in the middle of the night, lamenting my fate. Heh.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Got depressed at aging while posting in another thread. Recently switched from Do-Win wood sole and leather dual strap shoes to much more modern Adidas Power Perfect III. I like them. Their heel is lower by 5mm or so and I actually don't mind that at all. Squatting in the middle of the night, lamenting my fate. Heh.
Yeah aging has me beat down lately. I've been working hard at getting out on a bicycle. So far so good.

·
28,288 Posts
Whenever I'm down I like watching Sandra Perkovic put a discus into orbit. Height 1,83m, weight claimed 83kg but she's about as bulky as I am when I drop to 100kg -- can we agree she's got to be 90+ kg here? Absolute unit.

2081 - 2100 of 2103 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
159 Participants
Big Sky WRX
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing