ClubWRX Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2103 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
SD_GR- sorry to hear of your injury :( injuries suck, but sadly are just part of the game- hoping for a short recovery for you

^ the only 5 set routine that I'm aware of is the 5x5 (StrongLifts)- it has a proven track record for increasing strength (using basic compound lifts)

I've used it several times (it's not really designed as a year in, year out routine)- it works

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm doing stronglifts right now and recently have had to dial back the sets down to 3x5 in order to keep adding weight. All in all its a pretty time efficient workout especially if you use the app

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
I've gone to the 3x5 as well- I find better for myself than the 5x5

I've pretty much plateaued out on the lifts, but like the routine so stick with it

I'm currently slowly working up to a beast of a workout posted on a hunting forum

starts with some speed work on a track 2x400 m, 2x800 m and 2 more 400's- I run 30-40 miles a week, but this will be braving new country for me with sprints

followed by shouldering a 60 lb pack and grabbing two 20 lb dumbells and doing 200 m of lunges- this is ridiculously hard and will take a lot of time to work up to; 200 m of lunges without any weight will put the hurt on

keeping the 60 lb pack and the dumbells- 10 minutes of up/down step work on bleachers- tough as well

finishing with 3 sets of 30 second planks with the pack still on

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
I'd be dead.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
Just checking in Been busy with training & preparation. I go to the gym at 4:30 AM now to keep myself focused. Been officially bitten by the Ultra bug. Completed multiple half marathons, a marathon & a 28k so far. I'm sticking to the trail runs. I tried one road half & got bored to death. I am getting ready for the Mother of all OCR Ultras Vermont Ultra Beast. 32 miles of pure hell with a swim through a lake, climbing to the top of a bridge ,hitting a bell & back in the lake. & climbing up the Mount Killington Ski slope dubbed the Death March. Pics included.
Plan is to do a 50k this year, a few 50ks next year & maybe a 50 miler. Or if I'm not ready postpone the 50 miler for 2019.

maxresdefault (1).jpg 12043024_10156051387735433_7645864391887859552_n.jpg

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
yeah when it bites, it bites pretty good :D

I've logged a bunch of 20-ish mile days in the mountains the last month and a half. Raced last weekend in the Elkhorn 23k, had a top 20 finish (~75 runners) my best finish. Have a race tomorrow in Bozeman- the Bridger Ridge Run- touted as the toughest 20 mile race- I ran in 2012 and 14; I'm not going to argue with their assessment- it's tough.

Still working on extending my lunges for the workout I posted above. I'm slowly closing in on 200 meters, but completely unweighted- so have a long way to go!

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
I'd love to do a 100 miler once. Just the once. This past weekend 2 people I know unsuccessfully ran Endurance races. One ran the Fat Dog 120 (yes, 120 miles with 30k elevation). & another ran the Western States 100. The person who ran the 120 got terrible blisters. She said she crossed the finish line but missed the cut off time by a few minutes. The guy who ran the 100 started having hallucinations at Mile 70 from lack of sleep & had to drop out. Links below if anyone ever thinks of trying their hand (or leg) at one.

Western States Endurance Run

Mountain Madness

·
28,288 Posts
18, boys!

I just unstrapped from the bar. I got 18 chins.

For the last 3 I was swinging like Helen Keller at a piñata party. I'll never be under a 200kg barbell in my life again. My elbow will never be the same. My upper spine shows wear under X-rays. I've not gotten younger in years.

But I got 18.

I've seen worse. I've been worse.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
^ nicely done Sir :)

last weekend's run in Glacier; got to run through some of the most beautiful country in the world and one very close encounter w/ a sow grizzly and cubs

·
28,288 Posts
WOW! I really am left speechless with the scenery not to mention the absolute courage and fitness level necessary to do what you do. I walk a few km each day with my dogs and feel like I should be yelling "this is Sparta!" by the end of it, yet you cover a tremendous portion of the planet as a matter of routine.

WOW!

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
This was a pretty epic run; met up with a friend who was visiting from WI and wanted to see a bunch of country- so I came up with this 25-ish mile loop. He was also hoping to see a grizzly, we got that done as well, but much closer than I'm comfortable with, but all ended well :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,688 Posts
Wow...no words for that terrain. Epic is indeed the best word. I love that part of the country..

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Oooh, Glacier. One of my favorites.

Integra's accomplishment for the day (or month): working out for 5 minutes in the basement between the time I got home from work and the time the wife and little ones got back. FML.

Going to do at least two 1/2 marathons this year and a few shorter trail races.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
^ half to about 20 miles are my favorite races; 50k's + it seems the suffering increases twofold (or more)

Sunday morning- one of my most beneficial workouts AND least favorite :D

·
Water.....sometimes waves
2,171 Posts
Been doing "Nautilus" style bi and tri routines lately. Dabbled with them long ago but not seriously. Now at 53 I am trying it in a serious manner, but age makes it sort of academic at this point. But holy Crap does it "seem" to work!

I vary the routine but it is something like 10 reps with all I can manage on a straight bar - then without hesitation jump into 10 more on the preacher with all I can manage - then without hesitation jump onto the dip-assist machine and do as many chins as I can get until the pain is unbearable. Rest then similar for the tri's. My arms look like balloons (relative to my normal look) and feel like noodles.

Everything is set up ahead of time so I can jump from one location to the next without stopping. And that single nonstop routine is it; no additional sets......until i do it again nearly a week later. I wish I'd tried this years ago.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,688 Posts
Integra's accomplishment for the day (or month): working out for 5 minutes in the basement between the time I got home from work and the time the wife and little ones got back. FML.
Tegs! :)

When ours were little (weird that I now have one in college) I got in the habit of running in the early hours, like 5:00-5:30, before they were awake. Your work requirements may not allow. The downer is that I still do this, even though I don't really have to be up that early. It's a bummer for the neighbors, as well, since some days of the week involve a heavy bag workout in my garage, and I'm thinking that they folks right across the street may be able to hear it, lol.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
no one must be into fitness anymore 🙂. I’m still chugging along- running/hiking about 30 miles a week

I got a little more serious with lifting, still just twice a week, but more focused with Wendler- week 19 and have made solid gains across the board with deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press. The beauty of it is I’m in the gym probably less time than I was before.

I’m 4 weeks out from my fourth Bob Marshall Open event; always a dousy, but this year a longer course (140-ish miles) and record snowpack and flows to contend with

should be fun 😄

·
Registered
124 Posts
no one must be into fitness anymore . I’m still chugging along- running/hiking about 30 miles a week

I got a little more serious with lifting, still just twice a week, but more focused with Wendler- week 19 and have made solid gains across the board with deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press. The beauty of it is I’m in the gym probably less time than I was before.

I’m 4 weeks out from my fourth Bob Marshall Open event; always a dousy, but this year a longer course (140-ish miles) and record snowpack and flows to contend with

should be fun
I too just started 5/3/1 in an attempt to quickly lose weight for a destination wedding. The lifts are easy, and you can customize the assistance workouts. I've seen some really fast noob gains. I never really did SOHP or deadlifts, but I can tell a huge difference in strength from those those two alone. SOHP makes my shoulders look like boulders.

2061 - 2080 of 2103 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
159 Participants
Big Sky WRX
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing