ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2103 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been receiving A LOT of PM's in the last few months asking for advice on issues pertaining to diet, exercise, lifting, etc... and a general view of fitness.

I would like to take this thread and basically make it a "mini-forum" if you will, for fitness and lifting. Feel free to ask any questions about the above and I will work with the best of my abilities to answer your questions and give advice. If you want to post shirtless pics of yourself to try and get an assessment of area's that need to be worked on or acknowledgement of stong points then feel free.

I expect people not to be assh0les to others and maintain a certain respect level because when it comes to fitness there really are no stupid questions... I would rather have someone ask a n00b question and get the proper answer instead of going out and hurting themselves. This also gives an oppertunity for those other than myself that are knowledgeable about fitness and lifting to give their input and assessment of whatever might arise.

While this is a car forum and not a fitness forum, this is also the Off Topic section and considering the high volume of PM's I have been receiving I think this thread might offer some benefits to our members.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,936 Posts
SugerMan said:
do you have some qualifications that make you a diet/exercise guru? are you studying it at school?

just wondering what warranted all the PMs.
Hes muscles McGee and I think he works at a local gym also. It seems like he is pretty knowledgable and wants to help out people.
Uncle Lewie
 

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
Joined
·
28,288 Posts
May I post some potentially interesting links?

Thanks DTR for being helpful and generously offering to start such a thread. I'm not into fitness myself, but I do train -- usually some light Oly stuff like cleans and overhead squats, but also back squats, DLs etc..

I think involvement in sport and in one's well-being is terrific.

Here are some sites I've found useful regarding weightlifting:

1. Power and Bulk. No nonsense, no posing site oriented strictly toward heavy sport. They even feature a Tommy Kono memorial Olympic lifting forum. Focus of the site is on making large, heavy objects move upwards. If that's your goal, this is probably one of the best sites around for you IMO.
http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/

2. GoHeavy.com. Another no nonsense site oriented mainly toward the strength athlete. Many of the participants are -- guess what --professional strength coaches for organizations such as universities and sports teams. Emphasis again on making large, heavy objects move upwards. Their Olympic lifting forum is at
http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/
but I believe they also have other fora dedicated to other forms of heavy sport.

3. Dr Squat's site. Dr. Fred Hatfield's site is IMO more commercial than the other two, as he does sell several products, but the Q&A forum is usually very informative and very direct. The emphasis there is -- you guessed it! -- making large, heavy objects move upwards.
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=topics

Note that the above 3 sites are more NASIOC-ish in their attitudes than ClubWRX-ish, but nonetheless a thoughtful newbie question will get a thoughtful experienced response usually and they're well worth searching.

For the bodybuilders and fitness buffs though:

Robby Robinson's message board. A truly helpful guy that's seen it all in his sport and is not afraid to call them as he sees them. If you're into BB I'd recommend his site. He usually answers questions himself and is very helpful and articulate. RR has been in incredible shape for almost 4 decades.
http://members5.boardhost.com/robbyrobinson/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SD_GR said:
Thanks DTR for being helpful and generously offering to start such a thread. I'm not into fitness myself, but I do train -- usually some light Oly stuff like cleans and overhead squats, but also back squats, DLs etc..

I think involvement in sport and in one's well-being is terrific.

Here are some sites I've found useful regarding weightlifting:

1. Power and Bulk. No nonsense, no posing site oriented strictly toward heavy sport. They even feature a Tommy Kono memorial Olympic lifting forum. Focus of the site is on making large, heavy objects move upwards. If that's your goal, this is probably one of the best sites around for you IMO.
http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/

2. GoHeavy.com. Another no nonsense site oriented mainly toward the strength athlete. Many of the participants are -- guess what --professional strength coaches for organizations such as universities and sports teams. Emphasis again on making large, heavy objects move upwards. Their Olympic lifting forum is at
http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/
but I believe they also have other fora dedicated to other forms of heavy sport.

3. Dr Squat's site. Dr. Fred Hatfield's site is IMO more commercial than the other two, as he does sell several products, but the Q&A forum is usually very informative and very direct. The emphasis there is -- you guessed it! -- making large, heavy objects move upwards.
http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=topics

Note that the above 3 sites are more NASIOC-ish in their attitudes than ClubWRX-ish, but nonetheless a thoughtful newbie question will get a thoughtful experienced response usually and they're well worth searching.

For the bodybuilders and fitness buffs though:

Robby Robinson's message board. A truly helpful guy that's seen it all in his sport and is not afraid to call them as he sees them. If you're into BB I'd recommend his site. He usually answers questions himself and is very helpful and articulate. RR has been in incredible shape for almost 4 decades.
http://members5.boardhost.com/robbyrobinson/

Good links.

Thanks for the contribution :thumbup:



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
There is more to lifting i guess than just putting on weight. Alot of running should be included if you would like to get/maintain abs. A strict diet must also follow including hard lifting. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Alot of people can get big, but don't have defined stomach's. I am currently registered as one of Abercrombie and Fitch's models, and its hard work. I mentioned the previous sentence just so you don't think i'm some cook. I'm not here to toot my own horn. I am not huge, but not small either. 6'3 200lbs. I guess I just want to stress the fact that there is more to lifting than just getting big and swoll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,991 Posts
I was going to post a pic of myself without a shirt, but I don't have a lens with a wide enough angle to capture all of my glorious, rippling, glistening, chiseled, sweat-beaded, bulging muscles (ass)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
These are also some basic facts for healthy eating habits-
- Do not eat when you're emotionally upset, stressed, or after a hard workout.
- Eat only when hungry and stop before you are full.
- Do not eat foods that are too hot or too cold: they can damage the enzymes necessary for proper digestion. Room temperature is optimum.
- Drink little or no liquid during meals: it dilutes digestive juices and impairs digestion.
- Try to avoid refined, canned, fried, and processed foods
- Do not eat before going to bed
- Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day opposed to 3 big meals
Combing these eating habits with my lifting and cardio routines have given me awesome results :wiggles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
c00lbeans said:
what are some good ways to tone love handles, and make your neck thicker?
lots of sex to tone love handles and upright row for your neck. :wiggles: i am not joking around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
psssst, you can delete youre own post's. ready, 1-2-3 ...go.

DTR is very well read, and, as a "retired" fitness instructor/spinning instructor/wrestler/semipro-cyclist/"prof stairclimber..lol......id say he is a creditable source for information :thumbup: He also owns a WRX and does not do steroids :D

cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio...................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have a question...

When doing standing barbell curls should you try to keep your whole body as still as possible or allow it to sway a bit with the movement of the weight?

I have a friend we'll call "John" that hurt his back because he was concentrating so hard on keeping his body still and only using his arms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have another question...

Have you ever used Muscle Milk? I can't seem to find a review online that doesn't also include a link to purchase the product.

I bought a kg of it for $40. Tastes awesome and "seems" to help build lean muscle faster and reduce recovery time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Here is my question. Gaining weight, what is the key? I am going to turn 20 in December and am 5'7 and weigh like 110. I used to go to the gym, see a nutritionist, take protein shakes have a 5,000 calorie diet I would follow. When I was at the gym I would take glutamine and creatine pills. And I still look like a twig. My personal goal is to hit 150, but I would like to hit like 175. I realize that is a sh!t load of weight to put on. What would your recommendations be such as: eat ___ food, do ___ exercises, take ___ shakes, maybe some ___ pills. What should I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
nmbr1ballr said:
Here is my question. Gaining weight, what is the key? I am going to turn 20 in December and am 5'7 and weigh like 110. I used to go to the gym, see a nutritionist, take protein shakes have a 5,000 calorie diet I would follow. When I was at the gym I would take glutamine and creatine pills. And I still look like a twig. My personal goal is to hit 150, but I would like to hit like 175. I realize that is a sh!t load of weight to put on. What would your recommendations be such as: eat ___ food, do ___ exercises, take ___ shakes, maybe some ___ pills. What should I do?
Well it sounds like you should definitely do the meat and cheese diet. It's basically a way to help build muscle with bulk. No carbs though!. Such as bread and pasta. When your lifting to get big, you need to follow a certain routine. Low number of reps, high weight. I'll use myself as an example. I do 210 8 times, 220 6 times, and 230 4 times twice. This method is called the pyramid. On each set, last rep be sure that it is very hard to put up. If your last rep is easy, increase the weight. I'm thinking you're problem was that you were lifting 20-30 reps of lighter weight and we're just getting toned. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,991 Posts
nmbr1ballr said:
Here is my question. Gaining weight, what is the key? I am going to turn 20 in December and am 5'7 and weigh like 110. I used to go to the gym, see a nutritionist, take protein shakes have a 5,000 calorie diet I would follow. When I was at the gym I would take glutamine and creatine pills. And I still look like a twig. My personal goal is to hit 150, but I would like to hit like 175. I realize that is a sh!t load of weight to put on. What would your recommendations be such as: eat ___ food, do ___ exercises, take ___ shakes, maybe some ___ pills. What should I do?

You need to age. That's about the only reliable way to gain weight if you've been lifting a lot and eating 5,000 kcal/day. There may be more effective methods to weight train for mass, but for a lot of people, it's just difficult to gain weight - especially in the 15-22 (approximately) group. Wolfing down meat and cheese isn't good for you and it may not even help you gain weight. People don't realize that cardiovascular diseases probably get started in one's teen years (and even earlier). Regardless of your weight goals, eating a healthy diet and getting enough cardio exercise should always be priorities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Yea, cool thread.
Ive asked a million people a million times on how to get big and i mostly here that its my bodys metabolism or w/e that its really hard for me to gain weight.
I am 6' 0" and around 155lbs. ALL I DO is eat, constantly eating, and I never put on weight.
So like steak, cheese, egg whites, protein shakes?? And then heavy weights and low reps??
Id really like to bulk up by summer time. I aint postin pics cause im skinny unless i flex. then i only have a handball in my bicep.
Im lookin for shoulders,traps,bis,tris,forearms.
I already have a decent chest/abs. And I know how to keep workin them.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
JBP STI said:
Yea, cool thread.
Ive asked a million people a million times on how to get big and i mostly here that its my bodys metabolism or w/e that its really hard for me to gain weight.
I am 6' 0" and around 155lbs. ALL I DO is eat, constantly eating, and I never put on weight.
So like steak, cheese, egg whites, protein shakes?? And then heavy weights and low reps??
Id really like to bulk up by summer time. I aint postin pics cause im skinny unless i flex. then i only have a handball in my bicep.
Im lookin for shoulders,traps,bis,tris,forearms.
I already have a decent chest/abs. And I know how to keep workin them.
Thanks
Yep seems like you got the idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
JBP STI said:
Yea, cool thread.
Ive asked a million people a million times on how to get big and i mostly here that its my bodys metabolism or w/e that its really hard for me to gain weight.
I am 6' 0" and around 155lbs. ALL I DO is eat, constantly eating, and I never put on weight.
So like steak, cheese, egg whites, protein shakes?? And then heavy weights and low reps??
Id really like to bulk up by summer time. I aint postin pics cause im skinny unless i flex. then i only have a handball in my bicep.
Im lookin for shoulders,traps,bis,tris,forearms.
I already have a decent chest/abs. And I know how to keep workin them.
Thanks
Don't forget your legs there, cowboy. I neglected my calves for a while (though not my thighs) and am paying for it now. Also, don't forget your back/lower back.

What you really ought to do is track what you eat for two weeks, and record all caloric, car, protein and fat content.

Then, you have an idea of what you take in. At that point, you should adjust that diet by adding, say, 300-500 calories a day, as well as modifying it to something like a 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 c/p/f split.

If, after another two weeks, you don't see any gains, up the calories again. Doing it this way will ensure you hit your target of gaining weight, while not putting on unnecessary amounts of fat.

Structure your carbs around your workout, eating a bit of carbs in the morning (perhaps some fruit), then a few no-carb meals (protein and fat only), then a nice pre-workout carb meal, a good carb meal right after you lift, then another one about an hour after that. Then, minimal carbs for your last meal.

If you run, you should eat some carbs before and after (if you run in the morning, some fruit is fine, then maybe a half cup of oatmeal or the like after). You also need protein before and after running, though not in the same quantities as if you were lifting.

Whoever said not to eat after a hard workout is wrong. It is imperative you refuel immediately after working out to prevent catabolism.

Another thing is that you should space your running and lifting as far apart as possible, such as 6-8 hours. If you lift then run, you're forcing your hurt muscles to work more, while making your body scrounge energy from somewhere (usually not fat, takes too long to metabolize) and that's just not a good scenario. Remember also to keep workouts under an hour, because at that point blood glucose and testosterone levels start to drop off.
 
1 - 20 of 2103 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
159 Participants
Big Sky WRX
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing
Top