Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a bugeye since 2003.

My oldest kid, got one a few years ago. 230k miles, previously flooded.

New carpet, new motor, tuned, ran like a champ.

8 months ago, he drove into a river. Long story lol. He bought a hawkeye. He didnt want to get rid of the sonic yellow hatch so i told him ill take it and fix it, but then its mine. No money involved lol.

So i was given a 2003 sonic yellow wrx wagon. Once again, it has a new motor, and getting mew carpet and floor mats this week. Lots of ideas instore to bring this old thing back to life but im very excited! Taking it to our subaru guy to get the motor tuned with the access port from cobb next week. Cant wait!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I took a bunch of photos when i got it home, a disaster. Took several more during the carpet pull. I DO plan on taking. Bunch of photos over the next several weeks in hopes to have it done in a few months. Paint and all. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So 3 months have gone by. Not a tremendous amount of work has been done. But i am making some headway.

Took very long at the shop, motor up and running. Owner found rtv seals for exhaust manifold gaskets, totally rusted downpipe, seveeal vacume lines crossed, didnt swap cam gear, etc etc.. took a very long to "find a welder" to get the borla hush, cut oit old cat, fabbed a new flanged and bolted(i gave up on waiting and towed it home). here is whats done thus far..

Car from shop( 1200$ invidia DP, a few hours labor to troubleshoot shade tree mechanic issues found by previous shop after 2nd flooding, gates timing belt kit, pulleys, water pump etc. Grimspeed gaskets for header, uppipe, and DP, fluids, plugs, coilpacks etc.. )

-carpet(supreme condition offer up 50$ shipped)( removed old sound deadening matetial using dry ice and a scraper, grosssss underneath from yhe flooding)

New incabin filter. (12$... look at old one!! A solid 4-5 times heavier than new..BAAARFFF)

Floormats(some offerup junk but better than nothing 50$ shipped)

New Cobb ss exhaust(700$)

Cobb shift kit with knobb and bushibg kit(250)

Mishimoto ancillry hose kit (160)(a few of the pcv hoses were old and rock solid)

Grimspeed exhauat adaptor(dont recall cost, like 60$? Aftermarket DP to cobb needed it to prevent having to cut and weld new flanges)

Grimmspeed pitch stop becsuse why not...

Grimmspeed Brotie.. again. Why not?

New hella horns, the old ones are rusted and look awful

Jist ordered a 4.444 transmission with the LSD diff so thats next along with new trans mission mounts( engine mounts and clutch were replaced with first swap done about 30k miles ago). Hopefullt thatll be done in 2 weeks (in my carport :X)

Then after that its going to be sent in for ball joint replacement(totally seized... didnt have space or tools go remove) and rotors turned.

Then shortly after that its off to the body shop! Money alreadt set aside... just need the time !!

The image above is mid way through... i painted the pcv hard lines gloss black and the TMIC has been cleaned and seversl fins bent back(likely to replace soon as the undeside has a slightly crushed end (see below). A few of the hoses have been put to their correct place (not pictured)

So lastly... i planned on sending the turbo to boost labs for a rebuild(was recommended by my son who claims its on its way out). Upon looking at it, i csnt tell if its oem td04?? Any insight by markings visable? I plan on removing when transmission arrive when the exhaust comes out(need to redo header to upipe gasket)

The front side of the turbine side says zz-1401?

Anyway, i beleive thats it for now .. oh yea, also got some stock bronze wheels. They going to be silver and put on soon

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the exhaust seals in amd ready to run. Started it up snd slowly fluttered the throttle for a few minutes to get it warm and get some oil pressure. Once it warmed up it was gently smoking some faint white smoke. When revved, the snoke would stop until the throttle was xlosed in which then it would make a slightly heftier puff then back to a gentle spew...

Is this indicitive of blown turbo seals?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Clipped the horendous front bumper back on and put on stock bronzers on the front. Need new tires and brakes.

Confirmed turbo leaks like sumbit*h. Drips on my uppipe and geneates a nice smog under the hood.

Drove aeound the block and steering was VERY tight...???? Any ideas? It felt like it was sticking inside the column. Brand new oem Sti steering rack snd new tie rod ends with only about 5k miles them... ball joins are bad, could be it??

Parked so people can see :D

Here is a better pic of the dash.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So tried posting a video but cant figure it out. Im not very tech savvy...

So now rhe brakes are good.. as i rode down the road, the steering is VERY jumpy and not fun to turn. I can hear the motor jump slightky in rpm when turning the wheel and its almost as though its indexing like every 1/3 -1/2 turns.. itll be hard to turn, creek snd then jump to slightly further location and kind of oscolate a littl bit... any help?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw, everyone, i dont recall sharing this photo. Son was looking to buy some inaccessable land in palatka FL and here is what my kid did prior to signing it over to me..stalled as it is... the tow truck had to pull it forward through the water, turn it around, then back out the other way...

This old guy lived about a mile down the "road" and saw him drive by and took to his 4 wheeler to check becsuse he "had a bad feeling when they didnt return within a few minutes".

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The day is good friday... my company gives us the day off. I woke pretty early, had a shower, an irish coffee with my breakfast and got to work.

Rear LSD diff is swapped in with new mounting bushings.

Here are some pics of the old diff

Thats done... just got done removing the drive shaft and shifter connections and am about to tackle the rest of the transmission. Hopefully be done before the weekend is over.

During the time i was working the diff on, i got distracted and finished pulling the turbo and inlet. No idea if the turbo was already rebuilt prior to my soms ownership, but the car has 270k miles and ZERO shaft play. The turbo does leak internally i beleive. Subtle smoke in exhaust. Also maybe you guys help. Some what appears to be oil residue in the waste side??

Also some oily residue here

Also. From my previous post i mentioned about the steering being all jacked up. The intermediate shaft is bound up so. I habe a referbished one sitting on my bench which will be swapped in once the transmission is out of the car.

Lastly, have transmission mounts. A beefyer subaru one? What car is this oem? And kartboy brace bushings

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the call back today from Boost Lab. a part of gasket or failed O2 sensor pieces were sucked up into the turbo destroying the inner blades on the exhaust side. Full rebuild, with all new seals and a new fan cartridge and shipped back to me on Monday totals $569.82. Going to bite the bullet and get it fixed. contemplated on buying the blouche TD-05 for 1000$ but then ide be needing to pay for another tune and all this would cost more. stock it stays

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So most recent update.

The car is back on the ground. shifts as normal.... idles.... ok... lol. cold start, it'll idle at about 1100, if i touch the throttle, it'll hang around 1500-1700 then slowly come down. If rev, it hits about 3200 and stumble and choke and then i let of and it goes back to idle and then the idle starts to become a bit erratic.

I went on a gentle drive around the block, about .4 miles. only once did i rev it up and preformed the same way... nothing passed 3500. obviously no boost being low rpms.

I have no CEL and no codes being picked up on AP.

To answer the usual questions.. yes its tuned for the current set up and ecu was reset via AP.. the only thing i can guess is the gas is old and gone bad??

I "checked" for vacuum leaks but couldn't find anything of note ( and by checked I did a visual inspection of any areas where I could think there would be one).

the backside of the wastegate looks like it got burned or something? see pics... this was only about 12-15 run time on the totally rebuilt turbo...

·
In Æternum
23,561 Posts
I have seen something similar with old gas when working on my Van, but are you absolutely sure you haven't flashed a map like the Valet Map?

That map physically sets the rev limiter to 3200 RPM. It may be coincidental, but it's suspiciously close.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts