ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Noob here. I will be taking delivery on Saturday for a WRX. I missed the order deadline and had to scramble around to find a dealer who could get me one. I used the costco buying service and got a base model with side moldings, all weather mats, wheel locks, auto dim mirror with compass, STS, and boost gauge at invoice price $25,776 I think. Plust I get $500 off at Costco. It seems like it was the best deal I could get in the Chicagoland area.

This will be my first subaru product. A friend of mine owned a 2002 wrx and got a lot of miles. He is friends with some subaru mechanics who seem to question the current build quality. I ignored his misgivings and bought one as it seemed to be the only car with some performance, all wheel drive and a manual transmission one can get that isn't made in Europe. We'll see how it goes. I used to think I would hold onto cars for a long time, but over the past few years, it seems we've been trading them in as life circumstances change.

So, what should be the first things I should do. As silly as it seems, I'm thinking about getting some 16" steel wheels to get ready for winter!

·
Registered
279 Posts
First thing you should do is..... Post pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the wheel thing is important for the harsh winters being they come with high performance summer tires.
&

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

Sounds like a very good price.So you get $500 off because you are a member of Costco?
With the costco car buying service, you basically put in your zip code, the make and model of the car you want on the website. Then a few minutes later a dealer emails you with the Costco pricing. One dealer offered about $2350 off MSRP, but that was only for an order. When I finally got around to it, the 2012 orders were closed. So, the pricing they have on cars that are currently out is different. They gave me the invoice price which seems great to me. I put in two zipcodes of cities near where I live and got two different dealerships which offered costco pricing. It was a lot better than any other dealer would offer. Those other dealers argued that these wrxs are so rare and there are tons of people lining up to buy them. Yada, yada, yada...

Anyway, if you do buy the car with the costco pricing, you need to complete a survey. Once that is done, they will send you a $500 costco cash card. So, in my case, this will probably be spent on some snow tires.

At least that's how it is portrayed to me. This is my first time using Costco buying service. But, I'll tell you, it's definitely worth the $50 membership fee.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think this deal is the VIP program, which should exclude STI WRX and BRZ. I sell them to forum members (except BRZ) for $500 under invoice but I'm here in NJ. Regardless, it sounds like you got a pretty fair deal without the costco $500 card thing anyway. Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the car today. Awesome ride. I got "suckered" into the extended warranty. 72 months/60,000 miles. Probably was a waste of money, but it's also like an insurance policy. We'll see.

So, it's been a couple years since I drove manual. Clutch seems to be kind of burning when I park her. I didn't think I rode the clutch that hard. Anyone else noticed this with their new car? Or do I just need to practice a bit?

Here's the beauty in my garage. I got a hat and some sunglasses as a peace offering on the costco mix up. The Cozy Coupe is my other ride.

IMG_3638.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
The burnt clutch smell you are smelling is normal. After I test fro e a car that had 5 miles on it I said, "Wow. I burnt the S*** out if that clutch." Bit the tech said that it wasn't and was all the protective coatings burning off of the engine/exhaust ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this deal is the VIP program, which should exclude STI WRX and BRZ. I sell them to forum members (except BRZ) for $500 under invoice but I'm here in NJ. Regardless, it sounds like you got a pretty fair deal without the costco $500 card thing anyway. Congrats and welcome!
Wow, that's a great price. Maybe the next WRX or even an STI that I want I will order with you and make the drive out to NJ. Thanks for offering that up to forum members. Not sure how long you'll last in the car dealer business and so this offer may expire if you get out of that line of work. But, regardless, that's great! Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts