ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theirs a 02 Subaru Wrx for sale and in the description it says it’s pushing 360hp 420torque I’m not sure if it’s stock or not motor and transmission, but would it be worth buying it’s meant for a daily I know not the best daily but I love Subaru’s and I wouldn’t mind spending a little more on gas. I can post link if need be.

·
11,434 Posts
Simple answer. No.

Longer answer. Absolutely not unless it's free.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,285 Posts

·
29,285 Posts
I won’t give up I will keep on looking
Carry a lit lamp with you during the day. When people ask what you could possibly be looking for with a lamp in broad daylight, don't be like Diogenes and don't say "an honest man." Instead, say "an unmodified bugeye with a full service history from a single owner." Whether you choose to live in a jar is up to you, but I'd consider the lamp thing a must.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carry a lit lamp with you during the day. When people ask what you could possibly be looking for with a lamp in broad daylight, don't be like Diogenes and don't say "an honest man." Instead, say "an unmodified bugeye with a full service history from a single owner." Whether you choose to live in a jar is up to you, but I'd consider the lamp thing a must.
Ok last reply before I sleep and I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links or not but I love the 2.5 and if getting a 2.0 is the only way I can go would this be a good deal for $5k? https://offerup.co/eG7mZvnJCab

·
29,285 Posts
That's not a WRX.

·
29,285 Posts
Don't leave the lamp on overnight.

·
11,434 Posts
Ok last reply before I sleep and I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post links or not but I love the 2.5 and if getting a 2.0 is the only way I can go would this be a good deal for $5k? https://offerup.co/eG7mZvnJCab
Besides the obvious not a WRX. That car was probably less than 20 new, its now 13ish years old, with 170k. No, its not worth anything near that. However, to an extent its worth what someone will pay.

You don't want a modified vehicle as a daily driver, at least not to the extent of your first post. Its going to be hard if not impossible to find an unmodified car of that vintage. At that even if you do its likely pushing towards the end of its life and you've got to ask yourself is it worth investing in something that may get me a couple years, or may get me a couple weeks? I'm forever in the market for an 06 STI. Maybe I'll buy one one day for some astronomical price. Not because the car has that kind of value really, but because I really want one and can survive with another vehicle in the stable I don't have to drive.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I wouldn't trust the reliability of any modified Subaru that was any year prior to a current existing 2022. You'd be 100 times better off having a shit box like a big turbo high mileage SRT4 getting you to and from work every day than you would a bugeye with a simple intake. (That was a hypothetical statement. DO NO take that as advice.) That, and your chances of finding a good condition reliable bugeye for 5k is like finding a needle in a haystack. If one becomes available, it will snatched up in a heartbeat.

If I were in the market for a used, reliable, and fun car, I guess I'd be looking for a Civic Si for a few more thousand than you were looking for. Think 8-10k. Save for your WRX. Just my $.02.

If you do think you found one worth your while, just make sure you post it first so you can hopefully get some feedback. Do some research on the forums, too. I was browsing ClubWRX five years before I purchased my first Subaru, but that's a bit excessive. (Sadly, I still don't really know shit about the cars compared to other actual enthusiasts.)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Zach,

On my recent trip to Maryland, I was fortunate enough to get to drive the Civic Si with the proper 3 pedals. It was very peppy. It loved to rev and seemed to be very tied down. The $$$ seemed to reasonable, too. I think it could be bought at lease turn-in for some $12,000 U.S.. It was a 2017 and comes off lease around January of '21. ~22,000 miles and in decent shape. The owner travels a lot as a clinical doctorate physical therapist. The owner is in Spain doing a 6 month stint, now. He and I are friends. However, his father and I are friends for 35 years, including him standing in one of my failed attempts at marriage (talk about a nasty crash and burn).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts