Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Im going to be doing my very first mods on my 2005 WRX. Currently its stock. I bought this to start me off with: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...-cobb-tuning-stage-2-power-package-w-v3-black

I do have other plans for more work on the car, but ill be doing those after i get this set of parts paid off. If your interested on what else i got planed for my car, you can see on my other post: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-m...-advice-first-mod-parts-list.html#post5226545

But anyways, like i said ive never modded this car before. And the only car ive ever really worked on was my dads 1964 Chevelle when i was a kid. As of today I can change my own oil, change tires, that sort of maintenance. But ive never done anything like this. Im getting help from a co worker to install it all, but he only works on muscle cars. He said he will help as much as he can but hes never worked on a subaru before. So heres what i am asking: Are there any tutorials/guide/how-tos on installing this parts package? In addition, once everything is installed, if im correct i need to have the car re tuned a bit, which i have no idea how to do. Installing parts is one thing, but retuning is a whole lot different. So can i get some help in that regard too?
So any help on this project would be most appreciated.

Thank You
~Keaton

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Is the car completely up to date on maintenance? It should be on its second timing belt, tensioner, and water pump by this point.

I'm concerned that you jumped ahead of yourself with the modifications you purchased. Have you already performed a leakdown test and what were the results?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually am going to be doing all that and more later this summer. To put a very long and uninteresting story short, i got this parts pack ahead of everything else. Thats why i was going to be doing that pack now. Unless you recommend i hold off on installing this pack till after the rest of the planned maintenance is done?
Also i have not performed a leakdown test.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do the leakdown test and a compression test. If all ok, great, if not, determine if you want to fix it and how
Do all the necessary maintenance needed
once you ensure the engine is running correctly and well Then you can safely mod.

Otherwise you are just guessing, rolling the dice and hoping for the best. Maybe it works, maybe you blow your motor

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
i actually am going to be doing all that and more later this summer. To put a very long and uninteresting story short, i got this parts pack ahead of everything else. Thats why i was going to be doing that pack now. Unless you recommend i hold off on installing this pack till after the rest of the planned maintenance is done?
Also i have not performed a leakdown test.
Yes, maintenance first.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wait.. another Keaton, in Belgrade? I was just in Bozeman and moved back to Billings the other day. That's too bad I didn't see this earlier, I could have helped on everything except the boost control solenoid. How are you going to do the leakdown or compression test?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How are you going to do the leakdown or compression test?
To be honest i have no idea. ive decided to pause all work on my car till i buy the rest of the parts i need. The key thing i dont think the other guys know is that the frame of the car has 170k miles on it, but the engine only has 69k miles on it. So is running that test really necessary at this point and time? I mean the car still runs fantastic right now. Other than basic maintenance, the car has no issues what so ever. Also if you want to come back here to Belgrade when i do eventually have all the parts ill pay for your gas and grill up some burgers! The more help i can get the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts