Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I will be test driving a Subaru wrx. The ad lists the following for around $7000

2004 WRX with a JDM EJ20 swap. 130k on the body, about 50k on the motor. Stock 5 speed tranny. Raceland coilovers, sway bars. Less than 1k on wheels and tires. Cold air intake, STI blue injectors, custom tune, Accessport, etc. Aftermarket steering wheel and QD hub. Have a wrx wing to go with it, as well as stock set of wheels. Probably more that I'm missing, message me with any questions.
What do you think about the engine? Any notable flaws or problems? It looks a lil rusty?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

I want people's feedback on the picture of the engine.

Do you notice anything good/bad/problem?

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
I would steer clear of this one. A lot of people see "jdm" engine and think quality, when in reality it is a crap shoot. More times than not when people buy a used jdm engine there are issues with the motor. Not all the time, but a lot of times.

For a usdm car a new shortblock from Subaru is always a better choice than a used jdm engine.

Also, with this car being previously modified you are running a high, very high, risk of buying someone else's problem. Save your pennies and wait until you find a wrx with a good maintenance record, and preferably no modifications. Would suck to spend 7k on what an untrained eye may think is a good deal, just to have to turn around and put another 7k into a new engine when that one spins a rod bearing or has another type of failure.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
I'd walk away because of the blown off valve.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Terrible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts