ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2012 WRX SWP and I was on my way home from the movies(45 min drive). And it happened. 14 degrees and snowing so hard I couldn't see. after 30 mins of driving I found myself in about 2 inches of snow/ice on the road, and no one else is driving. A 45 min drive turned into 1 hour and 15, but my Subie trailed through it like a boss. I have the stock Dunlop Summers on, only bad thing is it's hard to stop, but, other than that, going in 2 inches of snow is no problem.

Just thought I would share that experience with you guys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe you should invest in some snow tires. It would definitely suck if you got in an accident. My car would lose all traction in slush during a lane change with the stock tires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you love your new car put some snow tires on it. That is dangerous driving those stock tires.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Those summer tires are not what u want this time of year. Even when the roads are clear the rubber compound stops being sticky at around 40 degrees and gets more like hockey puck hard. Get some winters or all-seasons and you should see an improvement in cold temp grip, not to mention much better grip in bad conditions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those summer tires are not what u want this time of year. Even when the roads are clear the rubber compound stops being sticky at around 40 degrees and gets more like hockey puck hard. Get some winters or all-seasons and you should see an improvement in cold temp grip, not to mention much better grip in bad conditions.
Ok, quick question. When I get winters, do you guys buy new wheels and put the winter tires on the stockers? Or what?

·
Registered
380 Posts
i'd certainly go that route, or just buy a crappy set of wheels for your snows if you like the look of the stock ones enough to keep them for the summer. P.s.: All weather tires also cease to function properly at low temperatures; i really don't know why they are called "all weather" or "all season", because in reality, they don't work that well in ANY season. I have all weathers on my 03, and it deals well with snow, but stopping is a pain and it lets go much more quickly than snow tires would. I'm sure there are exceptions that prove the rule, and some all weathers are probably beasts in the snow. I've just yet to run across a set that fits that. unless AT/MT's like the wrangler duratracs on my jeep count as all weathers. Which they don't. VA doesn't have quite as nasty of a winter as NePA, but i'm willing to bet it's nasty enough to warrant a good set of snows for the colder months.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok, quick question. When I get winters, do you guys buy new wheels and put the winter tires on the stockers? Or what?
A lot of people buy cheap 16" wheels and put winter tires on them since the tires are cheaper. Thats what I did. I like the stock wheels so they will be for my summer tires only.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Where in VA did you get that kind of weather? I'm in SWVA and it's been 60 degrees since September

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where in VA did you get that kind of weather? I'm in SWVA and it's been 60 degrees since September
Huhh? My brother lives in Bristol and its been below freezing plenty of times. Just like it is right now with highs in the high 40's.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Once mine comes in, it'll be the first time I'll have summer tires. I've always wanted to have two sets, but could never justify it. So here's a question, is there a temperature limit that you don't want to be driving winter tires above? I'm thinking about how this winter we've been at 35 degrees one day and 60 the next.

·
Registered
125 Posts
yeah man here in bristol and abingdon its been cold as hell for the last few days and snowing off and on... Yeah it warms up a day or 2 to 50's low 60's but then turns right around and snows again. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah man here in bristol and abingdon its been cold as hell for the last few days and snowing off and on... Yeah it warms up a day or 2 to 50's low 60's but then turns right around and snows again. lol
Yea VA Weather sucks right now.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
I went with a cheap set of alloys and my winters. Some go with steelies. I kept them the stock size because I think they look better, and I like not giving up much performance if possible, though smaller tires are a bit better in snow. Two sets is the way to go - much easier to just swap 'em yourself.

Once mine comes in, it'll be the first time I'll have summer tires. I've always wanted to have two sets, but could never justify it. So here's a question, is there a temperature limit that you don't want to be driving winter tires above? I'm thinking about how this winter we've been at 35 degrees one day and 60 the next.
I've heard that average temps around 40 are the cutoff for the summers effectiveness. I switch them out around early November and switch back when spring rolls in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts