ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i leaving a parking lot after lunch and it slid and sloped down as you exited. i slid into a curb and hit the front corner of the bumper, no real noticeable damage, i had to really look to find it, but it cracked where the plastic fender liner and the bumper meet. so pissed now cuz i damaged it.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Sorry to read this. :(

What tires are you riding on?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to read this. :(

What tires are you riding on?
its on stock, so thats my fault. but in fairness to me it was in the 40s all up till today and then we got hit with a big snow storm

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Snow tires are not just for snow.The stock summers loose grip once temps are in the 40s.Which is why it is always advised to change to winters once temps dip into the 40s.

I experienced this first hand when I got the car.It snowed all of a sudden & it wasn't even all that cold until then.I got a couple of feet from my driveway until I realized that the car wouldn't stop & I had no control. Decided to park it till I got my winters on.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear.

Snow tires are not just for snow.The stock summers loose grip once temps are in the 40s.Which is why it is always advised to change to winters once temps dip into the 40s.

I experienced this first hand when I got the car.It snowed all of a sudden & it wasn't even all that cold until then.I got a couple of feet from my driveway until I realized that the car wouldn't stop & I had no control. Decided to park it till I got my winters on.
well i know now i gotta get snow tires, and ill probably take it to get estimated to be repaired next monday. hopefully its not to terrible, im hoping the entire bumper wont need replaced, but it probably will

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will a place that sells tires also sell the cheap steel rims i can mount tires on or will i have to find those separately , also any idea what size to go with? for rims and tires

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Do you need something right now,as in today?

If not, try tire rack,they have a lot of options.You can get whatever wheels & tires you like mounted & balanced for free & shipped to you.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you need something right now,as in today?

If not, try tire rack,they have a lot of options.You can get whatever wheels & tires you like mounted & balanced for free & shipped to you.
no not today but i will get some as soon as i can. im just trying to figure out what size to go with, i was gonna look there or at a local store near me

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 16" wheels with 215/55-15 General Altimax studless if that helps.
ok cool, what did that run ya, if ya dont mind so i know what im lookin at for price wise.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Around $800.I have alloys.Steelies should be bring down the price somewhat.

Also look locally.Try craigslist or your local forums.You are looking for anything with a 5x100 bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Around $800.I have alloys.Steelies should be bring down the price somewhat.I have alloys.

Also look locally.Try craigslist or your local forums.You are looking for anything with a 5x100 bolt pattern.
ok well hopefully its not terrible. good news is my girlfriends mom works for goodyear and she has some coupons, so hopefully i can get a good price. i didnt calculate this into my budget lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
also, if you pay extra to have the TPMS sensors put into the wheels, you will have to go to the dealer whenever you swap your summers for winters and vise versa to have them program the sensors to the system.

I opted to not have the sensors installed. This means i have the TPMS light on my dash all winter. and you also will have to pay attention to the air level in your tires.

I also purchased my set from tirerack. click the link that says winter tire and wheel packages, put in your car info, and they will give you some options. 16" preferred package includes the steel wheels. any larger is alloy wheels, a little more expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also, if you pay extra to have the TPMS sensors put into the wheels, you will have to go to the dealer whenever you swap your summers for winters and vise versa to have them program the sensors to the system.

I opted to not have the sensors installed. This means i have the TPMS light on my dash all winter. and you also will have to pay attention to the air level in your tires.

I also purchased my set from tirerack. click the link that says winter tire and wheel packages, put in your car info, and they will give you some options. 16" preferred package includes the steel wheels. any larger is alloy wheels, a little more expensive.
ok thanks a lot i will look into this. im just hopin the price to repair the car aint too bac. at least i can wait to get it fixed cuz its not bad and hardly noticeable if at all. just enough to bug ya

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same setup as rage-wrx. I ordered them from tire-rack about 2 months ago. It was $710 with the tires mounted on steel rims and shipped to my door. I went out and bought a second jack and tire iron at pepboys ($40). So said and done, $750 and 45 minutes of time my winter tires are on. I looked around before ordering and I couldn't find anything close to tire-rack's price. Hope your bumper is cheap to fix!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the same setup as rage-wrx. I ordered them from tire-rack about 2 months ago. It was $710 with the tires mounted on steel rims and shipped to my door. I went out and bought a second jack and tire iron at pepboys ($40). So said and done, $750 and 45 minutes of time my winter tires are on. I looked around before ordering and I couldn't find anything close to tire-rack's price. Hope your bumper is cheap to fix!
yeah i looked on there and for that setup it told me 816. so i may do that, if i cant find a better deal locally.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
I third or forth (whichever its up to) using tire rack. They always seem to have the best prices.
and
I second looking locally. I found a set of stock rims from a 04/05 for $150 on NASIOC. They might be a lil scratched or w.e but for winters, they are perfect.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Everyone here loves tirerack and their prices are the lowest for sure. However, for me they did not have the best deal. The tires were cheap but shipping kinda ruined that. $50 for just tires, $100 if I added wheels. I guess my location wasn't the best for them. I would look around local places and ask them for the total price with installation for a better comparison. Some places charge differently for that stuff.

Definitely look around NASIOC & Craigslist for some used wheels if you have time as there is a lot to be found. I scooped up some nice ones from an '02 RS for not much more than new steel ones.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Axex said:
Everyone here loves tirerack and their prices are the lowest for sure. However, for me they did not have the best deal. The tires were cheap but shipping kinda ruined that. $50 for just tires, $100 if I added wheels. I guess my location wasn't the best for them. I would look around local places and ask them for the total price with installation for a better comparison. Some places charge differently for that stuff.
I've used TireRack / Discount Tire Direct. DTD doesn't charge shipping, but the price/tire is higher. One purchase it ended up being cheaper, one purchase TR was cheaper.

Axex said:
Definitely look around NASIOC & Craigslist for some used wheels if you have time as there is a lot to be found. I scooped up some nice ones from an '02 RS for not much more than new steel ones.
For winter months, used wheels are where it's at if you're dealing with winter/summer setups; having a "beater" set of winter wheels is great, as if you scuff them up, it won't matter too much.

My winter wheels are nothing aesthetically pleasing (not awful, but not great). I'm hoping to buy a set of used '05+ STI wheels next year to replace them.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I price and pick out tires on tire rack. Then my local shop matches the price (including shipping) for cash and appreciates the business. They give me a good deal on the install as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts