ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did mine at 1500, then every 3000 after that--but I'm sure some would say that waiting til 3000 is fine. Do whatever makes you sleep well at night.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I did mine at 1000 just to be careful. I have heard the theory that since the engine is still breaking in the bearing and other moving parts that there are metal shavings in the oil and to get them out of there. SO at 1000 I changed over to 10w-30 and at 7k I switched to a 5w-30. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yeah, do the first oil change early. I, along with a few other members at Nabisco found out that a hell of a lot of shavings get into the oil with new engines. I did my 04 rex at 800 and the oil looked like the obsidian black paint job (black with silver or gold flakes). Waited a little longer on my STI though. Something like 1200 miles. The dumb thing I did was put in Synthetic too early though on both cars. No ill side affects but at least those shavings weren't eating away at my engine :(

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I did mine at 2000, then switched to synth at 10,000.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I went to the dealership to get mine changed at about 1000 and they said the engine was already broken in as far as the bearings and stuff goes...

The guy at the service dept said the breakin was only for the computer to 'learn' how you drive and that this 'learning' period was only for the 1st 500miles. So I didn't get hte oil changed. Anyone else heard of this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts