Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 wrx with 30,000 miles on it from the dealer. I just changed the oil and filter at 34,000 miles with 5w-30 subaru synthetic oil. In the future i am thinking of changing the oil every 3k miles just to be safe. I went with subaru synthetic oil but run valvoline full synthetic in my 2009 impreza 2.5i and it runs great at 102k miles. What are you guys using and how often do you change your oil? I love the oil filter in the engine bay too.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I used rotella t6 5w40. However there are a lot of good options including Subaru’s oil. Pensoil platinum had some fans as well as motul and redline.

If you are doing every 3k I would start doing uoa and verify you are not wasting time and money. A good oil should last easily 5k without question and upwards of 10k

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to use subaru oil since it is still under warranty. I know sometimes they say under extreme driving to change every 3k. I rarley beat on the car but i want to play it safe till i start modding. By then all warranties will be voided.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Typically the argument is that the turbo engines are always considered extreme use. That doesn’t mean the car is abused.

Only used oil analysis will be able to determine what’s best for your situation.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
If you're not utilizing a used-oil analysis (UOA), just make sure you follow the manufacturer guidelines for quality / weight / interval.

UOAs will tell how a specific oil reacts to your specific engine on a specific interval.

Data > Internet Recommendations

·
Registered
370 Posts
i changed the oil at 1000 miles, 3800 miles and just did it again at 6600. first change was with mobil 1 15,000 mile 5w30, and a mobil 1 15,000 mile filter. 2nd and 3rd were with mobil 1 5w30 esp formula and a wix filter. i check the oil at least once a week(my commute is 9 miles so its not that much driving between checks) and have observed that every oil change the oil seems to keep its golden color for a longer duration of time.

very often, i know, but i feel like when the engine is new i wanted to change it more often and besides the esp oil is not a long interval oil, from what ive read you dont want to exceed 3000 with it. the next oil change i do will definitely include a UOA just because im a nerd really, i dont expect to see anything bad. assuming the uoa comes back good ill consider a different oil that can be changed less often as i dont really drive all that hard and the engine is well within its normal, fully broken in lifespan now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i changed the oil at 1000 miles, 3800 miles and just did it again at 6600. first change was with mobil 1 15,000 mile 5w30, and a mobil 1 15,000 mile filter. 2nd and 3rd were with mobil 1 5w30 esp formula and a wix filter. i check the oil at least once a week(my commute is 9 miles so its not that much driving between checks) and have observed that every oil change the oil seems to keep its golden color for a longer duration of time.

very often, i know, but i feel like when the engine is new i wanted to change it more often and besides the esp oil is not a long interval oil, from what ive read you dont want to exceed 3000 with it. the next oil change i do will definitely include a UOA just because im a nerd really, i dont expect to see anything bad. assuming the uoa comes back good ill consider a different oil that can be changed less often as i dont really drive all that hard and the engine is well within its normal, fully broken in lifespan now.
You're wasting money if you're regularly doing 3k mile changes.

5k is fine. Unless you're beating the piss out of the engine, and have a good deal of mods, you might want to go for a lower OCI interval.

Rotellta t6 is great, and stupid cheap. 23$ for about 4 quarts$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts