ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know its a FAQ and there's a sticky on it but I wanna know what you guys would put? Its my first turbo car and dont want to half ass on it thats why im asking.I'm not into racing oil cuz I'm from NY so I'm not racing anywhere,also hear (true)fully synthetic is the way to go so what you guys recommend I put for an 2011 ?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I made the switch to Shell Rotella T6 (5W40) recently. Haven't had a UOA done with this yet, so I can't give an educated opinion.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
+1 more on Rotella T6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They sell it by the gallon at wally world. Just make sure you get the extra quart. You'll only use half of the little guy though.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I made the switch to Shell Rotella T6 (5W40) recently. Haven't had a UOA done with this yet, so I can't give an educated opinion.
thought the cars needed 5w30? not 5w40, can you use either with the wrx?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
If you look in the manual it says use 5w30 synthetic energy conserving.

The only criteria Rotella T6 fulfills is that it is a synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
If you look in the manual it says use 5w30 synthetic energy conserving.

The only criteria Rotella T6 fulfills is that it is a synthetic oil.
Ok, so does it work well in these cars. I see several people just said they use it so if it works well ill try it. Just wanna make sure the 5w40 doesn't cause any issues

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I haven't had any problems so far.

But understand before you use it that it does not meet the standards recommended by SOA if any issues were to arise.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I haven't had any problems so far. But understand before you use it that it does not meet the standards recommended by SOA if any issues were to arise.
This is from a 2010 WRX/STI manual but the 2011+ should be the same. 5w30 is recommend for best gas mileage only. It has nothing to do with the operation or for maximum protection. See especially the box in red.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
The box in red permits 5W-40, provided it meets the grade spec, and that's great news because some of the bet oils on the market are 5W-40s and they can be used year-round in almost any environment regularly inhabited by humans.

·
29,233 Posts
The wording is vague though; the numbers apply to the first symbol but not, apparently, the second. I think Rotella T6 is an SM or maybe even SL (which includes and supersedes SM) but I don't think it's energy-conserving. Then again, nothing that's not a 5W-30 or "thinner" is likely to be energy-conserving, yet even a 10W-50 is specifically permitted on the viscosity chart.

I was considering using Delvac1 in my 2002 when it was still under warranty, had this same discussion as a noetic argument with myself, and went for it. I had warranty claims and I'd show up with my binder containing all my dated receipts in chronological order, tell them I also have a box with all the parts removed during maintenance I could bring in (this is true, I keep all old filters etc. in a box...) and they would simply look something between shocked and terrified, and go on to talk about the loaner car I'd be driving while mine was fixed.

Experiences will vary though. Reading the page above, I'd use an API 5W-40 that is SM or better and not worry all that much.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
ok and the rotella t6 is diesel oil, but will work fine is our engines right?

·
29,233 Posts
Any oil that is API SM or better and is of the correct viscosity will work in our engines. The question is what oils will work for the warranty as worded. I believe Rotella T6 meets the warranty spec as I see it in the pages reproduced above this post, but my beliefs are irrelevant. It's what SOA believe that matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car consumed mobil1 synthetic. I didn't know it was a crap oil until after I did my first oil change. I switched to t6 because of all of the praise I had seen. It seems to run great and it hasn't eaten any.

My gas mileage has decreased significantly however I attribute that more to the fact that its so cold out.

Also, I always, always!, allow my car to idle until its warm before even touching the gas pedal. The other day it was so cold, 19f, and I had the heat blasting... it took forever to get up to temp.

I say this because I feel as though when using a thicker oil, especially in the winter, its a good idea to let your car warm up. I know its likely that I am among the paranoid individuals out there but id rather be safer than the guy who turns his car on and immediately puts it in drive because he knows that driving it will warm it up faster and hr cares more about his hands being cold than the longevity of his vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts