ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did my first oil change for the subie today. it was also the first time i had done it at all on a car! something about this car makes me enjoy (for the most part) learning and doing all this stuff.

unfortunately i misjudged how far the oil would arc out of the drain plug and got oil everywhere instead of in the oil pan. oh well, i suppose with time i'll get better at this.

also, when removing the filter after the oil had drained for a while, oil still dribbled out all over my hands when removving the filter. is this inevitable? i can deal with it (using gloves next time) but it's just inconvenient.

all in all, it was an acceptable experience. hopefully next time it will go quicker and not as messily.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This is kinda embarrasing but my last oil change was my first one ever too. After doing my own mbc, bov, grounding kit, silencer hack and body peice swaps, I was like **** i should really change my own oil. My first oil change ever i used synthetic too, i figured i was paying 20 bucks anyways for an oil change might as well do it myself and put in the good ****.

·
Registered
0 Posts
ur all just racist...bugeye for life

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mine survived its accident. I have posted my sig in several accident threads a couple months ago, but obviously not enough people read it or didn't beleive me so i made it my sig.

sry for the hijack

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
my dad and I changed my oil on the rex at 1,000 miles together. Really swell father/son bonding :wiggles:

·
Registered
286 Posts
next time i need an oil change im thinking about doing it myself too. it will be my first time, i might as well learn

·
Registered
106 Posts
I first crack the oil filter loose, but not enough for it to start leaking. This way I know I can get it off. Then I take a sharp center punch and hammer and pop a hole in the bottom of the oil filter. The oil from the filter will drain out the hole. I never bother doing this with a small car. But on my F250 diesel the coffee can sized oil filter it makes a big difference. Might give that a try.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Yep, the oil filter part is messy. I used to do all of my oil changes on a lift, and pretty much every single time I removed the oil filter, it would be too slippery for me to hold onto, and I would drop it in the bucket of oil, splashing it all over myself. My boss made fun of me for it constantly, but no matter how many times I did it, I never learned.

By the way, it's not recommended to use synthetic on a brand new engine. It's too slippery for a proper break-in. I used to work in an engine rebuilding shop, and we would suggest to our customers to use regular oil until at least 10-15k miles.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
ahhhh... i love drenching myself in the hot synthetic oil out of a hot engine... it feels good to the skin... the wrx is such a dirty dirty girl....

·
Registered
149 Posts
zapman said:
This is kinda embarrasing but my last oil change was my first one ever too. After doing my own mbc, bov, grounding kit, silencer hack and body peice swaps, I was like **** i should really change my own oil. My first oil change ever i used synthetic too, i figured i was paying 20 bucks anyways for an oil change might as well do it myself and put in the good ****.

Lol same here. I was about to put a downpipe on my car and i was like, crap ive never even done my own oil. I better at least do that b4 i go putting on new exhaust parts. I misjudged the arc of the oil after removing the plug as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First oil change..ever

Oil Filters are always messy when removing them. Try a Zipplock or similar plastic bag and when the filter is lose, place the bag over the filter as you remove it by hand. A lot of the oil will go in the baggie. Might help a little once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
For those of you who change your own oil and live in winter states what do you do when it gets too cold out? Pay to change it?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm planing on pacing my driving so i can make it through the winter without changing it. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts