Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

As this is my first manual car, let alone my first car w/ a turbo, I'm fringin psyched to put in some simple mods that will give Lucy (my ride) some more muscle on the playground. I'm lookin for some advice as to where to start now that my budget is starting to get back under control and I can start spending cash in a month or so.
The first mods I was thinking of getting is just a simple short throw, simple grounding work that Dark Rex and I were talking about the other day, but after this I need advice.
What I was thinking of was the following, and I'd love it if you agreed, shot it down, placed them in the appropriate order to purchase etc.

1) K&N drop in
2) Boost Gauge
3) Boost Controler
4) Godspeed Uppipe

Am I missing anything here? Let me know what y'all did, what worked, what you wish you had done differently. Thanks for your time.

Peace
-RR

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i love my SS, but i'd save the $130 for the shifter and the bushings and get a gauge.

theres a good thread on the grounding mod in this forum RR, check it out.

dR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because I am a tool, I have no clue as to what you mean by Valentine 1. Please inform

***************Transmission ends**********************

·
Registered
298 Posts
V1 is an overrated radar detector.

you say this is your first standard trans, first turbo car, and i'm guessing then that it's your first awd platform vehicle as well?

my advice would be to spend your 'mod' money on a good driving school learning how to manage the car under all circumstances, save all of the other add-ons for after you are VERY comfortable with the dynamics of the car as is. it's a beast and plenty of muscle stock, and, to paraphrase some anonymous person "the best performance mod is the person behind the wheel"

too many people just jump right into throwing aftermarket add-ons into their cars before they have even learned how to drive while maximizing the power available, then never learn how to drive the car and end up smashing it up. and it's usually done just to gain a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile so that street racing can get the person some attention, or to tell people that 'i've done this and this and this and that, it's about x hp more than stock (even though they never dyno the car) so yeah, it's fast alright, wasted a civic at the stop light today and i know he was trying cause his car was really loud.......:rolleyes:

just my opinion, you may already be a graduate of performance driving schools and logged many seat hours at the track, in which case none of this applies.

have fun!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
glepko said:
V1 is an overrated radar detector.

you say this is your first standard trans, first turbo car, and i'm guessing then that it's your first awd platform vehicle as well?

my advice would be to spend your 'mod' money on a good driving school learning how to manage the car under all circumstances, save all of the other add-ons for after you are VERY comfortable with the dynamics of the car as is. it's a beast and plenty of muscle stock, and, to paraphrase some anonymous person "the best performance mod is the person behind the wheel"

too many people just jump right into throwing aftermarket add-ons into their cars before they have even learned how to drive while maximizing the power available, then never learn how to drive the car and end up smashing it up. and it's usually done just to gain a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile so that street racing can get the person some attention, or to tell people that 'i've done this and this and this and that, it's about x hp more than stock (even though they never dyno the car) so yeah, it's fast alright, wasted a civic at the stop light today and i know he was trying cause his car was really loud.......:rolleyes:

just my opinion, you may already be a graduate of performance driving schools and logged many seat hours at the track, in which case non of this applies.

have fun!
what schoold have you been to? not a flame, jsut curious. MOST people here are only graduates of the hard knocks school of driving. not everyone can afford skip barber.

RR already has a decent detector, forget the valentine 1, it's TOO much money for what it gives you. i've got a perfect driving record, and i drive very fast. it's all in where you speed, and how much.

dR

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yup gauges first, Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost, and Exhaust Gas Temp. Those three gauges are what I recommend. Then do simple mods, like the 3/16th mod, the ground mod, and the resonator/silencer mod. Then you should upgrade your uppipe, intake, and exhaust and if you have money, header. Then get yourself a MBC or EBC...

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Nexus6 said:
Yup gauges first, Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost, and Exhaust Gas Temp. Those three gauges are what I recommend. Then do simple mods, like the 3/16th mod, the ground mod, and the resonator/silencer mod. Then you should upgrade your uppipe, intake, and exhaust and if you have money, header. Then get yourself a MBC or EBC...
i wouldn't run headers without some engine management. you'll run dangerously lean.

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts