ClubWRX Forum banner

201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking for some advice. I'm a first time subbie owner with a 2010 sti. Current mods include:
Cobb intake, downpipe, and AP at stage 2
Kartboy short shift and front/rear shift bushings
Cusco front tower bar

In mail is a kartboy pitch stop and cusco rear tower bar, with quick release bolts

Next pieces I'm going to be putting in are:
Eibach lowering springs (1") with 25mm front and 22mm rear sways
Kartboy front and rear endlinks
Beatrush engine and tranny mounts
Process west tmic

And looking at possibly a mishimoto rad fan setup.
Also, is a carbon fiber drive shaft really worth it?

This is a progressive build and I've had the car for about 7 months now. I loved it. And now love it more. I have been doing all the work myself, even if some of it is new to me. I plan on doing as much as i can by myself unless necessary due to extreme difficulty or time required (i work usually 6 days a week.) I planned it to be a dd with occasional autox, but I'm not afraid of a "non cushy ride".

So. Comments on current mods and planned mods. Advice on anything i may have over looked. Right now, i plan on working on suspension stuff but thinking i would like a bit more power down the road, as it wont take me long to get use to cobb ap stage 2.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Glad i joined, reminds me a bit of the old forum i was in. I use to have an s12 (aka 84-88 200sx)

·
MAINEiac
3,255 Posts
Looking for some advice. I'm a first time subbie owner with a 2010 sti. Current mods include:
Cobb intake, downpipe, and AP at stage 2
Kartboy short shift and front/rear shift bushings
Cusco front tower bar

In mail is a kartboy pitch stop and cusco rear tower bar, with quick release bolts

Next pieces I'm going to be putting in are:
Eibach lowering springs (1") with 25mm front and 22mm rear sways
Kartboy front and rear endlinks
Beatrush engine and tranny mounts
Process west tmic

And looking at possibly a mishimoto rad fan setup.
Also, is a carbon fiber drive shaft really worth it?

This is a progressive build and I've had the car for about 7 months now. I loved it. And now love it more. I have been doing all the work myself, even if some of it is new to me. I plan on doing as much as i can by myself unless necessary due to extreme difficulty or time required (i work usually 6 days a week.) I planned it to be a dd with occasional autox, but I'm not afraid of a "non cushy ride".

So. Comments on current mods and planned mods. Advice on anything i may have over looked. Right now, i plan on working on suspension stuff but thinking i would like a bit more power down the road, as it wont take me long to get use to cobb ap stage 2.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Glad i joined, reminds me a bit of the old forum i was in. I use to have an s12 (aka 84-88 200sx)
Skip the lowering springs and go with RCE black springs. Steering rack bushings, shifter pivot bushings (I thought this made a much bigger difference with the slop - side to side - and it's very cheap - Turn in Concepts), rear diff inserts, SS brake lines/fluid wash, better tires (I'm partial to michelin pilot super sports), and custom alignment (I maxed the front and rear camber).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll look into them. Some of what you listed i was looking into but was unsure of the real difference it made. Annnnnd i already have the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Getting both front and rear. 0.6" drop in height for both front and rear. 330lb and 335lb are the front/rear spring rates.
I was hoping to drop it a little lower but I'll deal for those spring rates.

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
Getting both front and rear. 0.6" drop in height for both front and rear. 330lb and 335lb are the front/rear spring rates.
I was hoping to drop it a little lower but I'll deal for those spring rates.
solid dude solid! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking for some advice I'm new here just recently purchased 2015 wrx, I'm looking into giving it some more power & torque , I've recently got a custom exhaust done.

Some stuff I want to get is coilovers I was debating between tein mono sports and fortune auto wasn't sure which ones are better. And upgrade my tires/wheels to some 18x9.5 wasn't sure what size tires

Also was thinking about getting AP and probably getting an etune from brentuning, I know he has a etune for stock wrx to give a little push.

Any advice guys?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Looking for some advice I'm new here just recently purchased 2015 wrx, I'm looking into giving it some more power & torque , I've recently got a custom exhaust done.

Some stuff I want to get is coilovers I was debating between tein mono sports and fortune auto wasn't sure which ones are better. And upgrade my tires/wheels to some 18x9.5 wasn't sure what size tires

Also was thinking about getting AP and probably getting an etune from brentuning, I know he has a etune for stock wrx to give a little push.

Any advice guys?
Hey, welcome to the Club!!!! :woocow::woocow::woocow::woocow:

First, we will need a bit more information on your intended goals, so we can better advise.....for example, you said you were wanting coilovers.....for what reason? Are you wanting better handling performance, or just going for looks? You said you want 18x9.5 wheels....why? Wanting more grip, or just for looks? If we know what your intended goal is, we can better direct you.

If you are wanting better handling performance, you can get far better performance from good springs and dampers (shocks and struts) at the $1000 to $1500 price point (what tein mono sports and fortune auto cost) than you would ever get from that level of coilovers. Good performance coilovers start at closer to $2000, but the really good ones are over $2500.....sadly.

Similarly on wheel and tire choices, really, 9.5" wide wheels are not going to be to your advantage performance wise for a street vehicle at the amount of power you are going to make. You would get the same performance and save a good chunk of change with a 8.5" wheel and fitting tires. Not to mention, you would not need to 'roll and pull' the fenders for most 8.5" setups, but 9.5" you would most likely.

For the power part of your question, you state you have a 'custom exhaust'....do you mean just a cat-back, or did you get a high flow cat or catless 'J-pipe'? If you have an aftermarket J-pipe, you NEED A TUNE, asap. In any case, to AP or not at AP.....that is a personal choice. If you have access to a Windows laptop, you can go with open source tuning via a Tactrix open port cable. They are about $170 new, but you can normally find them cheaper used, or just borrow a friend's. The Cobb Access Port (AP) is a great device....except for the $650 price tag, and the fact of proprietary software limiting your tuner options a bit.

Basically, if you want a little more pep in the car, a 'Stage 1' tune will get you that. If you are wanting a significant pump in power, you would want to replace the 'J-pipe' with either a high flow cat or catless version....either way, one with an extra bung for a wide-band O2 sensor, get a wide-band O2 sensor, and a 'Stage 2' tune. Beyond that, a new intercooler (top mount intercooler is fine, unless going for big numbers) and an intake. Any further and you will need to start looking into transmission mods to hold the power you are adding.

In all cases, please please please remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap e-bay parts, or cheaper low end parts, you will either have issues, or have to replace them in the not too distant future. Quality known brands do actually count here. You have an expensive (ish) car, don't put crap in it.....note, used parts of good pedigree is a viable option to save money....check the forsale forums here, on Nasioc, and Facebook if you are interested in used parts. If you are willing to pay for new, our vendor list is a great place to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Redwrx..I have a 2015 and going through the same thoughts but I recommend following LastHumanStanding on Youtube. He is a member here and he has a 2015 WRX.

For me, I wanted to do an the Cobb AirIntake and Box but I found out that Cobb doesnt have one that will not fit my car. I hear they will be coming out with one in a few months, so I am going to wait on that.

Starting with the Blowoff Valve - TurboXS Hybrid (I really dont want alot of sound)
Exhaust - I am really liking the Subispeed 3"(I like that is is 3" all the way through) or the ETS 3" exhaust
Upgrade Hoses (intercooler, air, etc)
Oil Catch Can (Any other 2015 WRX owners who have one..let me know which one you bought..and why)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, welcome to the Club!!!! :woocow::woocow::woocow::woocow:

First, we will need a bit more information on your intended goals, so we can better advise.....for example, you said you were wanting coilovers.....for what reason? Are you wanting better handling performance, or just going for looks? You said you want 18x9.5 wheels....why? Wanting more grip, or just for looks? If we know what your intended goal is, we can better direct you.

If you are wanting better handling performance, you can get far better performance from good springs and dampers (shocks and struts) at the $1000 to $1500 price point (what tein mono sports and fortune auto cost) than you would ever get from that level of coilovers. Good performance coilovers start at closer to $2000, but the really good ones are over $2500.....sadly.

Similarly on wheel and tire choices, really, 9.5" wide wheels are not going to be to your advantage performance wise for a street vehicle at the amount of power you are going to make. You would get the same performance and save a good chunk of change with a 8.5" wheel and fitting tires. Not to mention, you would not need to 'roll and pull' the fenders for most 8.5" setups, but 9.5" you would most likely.

For the power part of your question, you state you have a 'custom exhaust'....do you mean just a cat-back, or did you get a high flow cat or catless 'J-pipe'? If you have an aftermarket J-pipe, you NEED A TUNE, asap. In any case, to AP or not at AP.....that is a personal choice. If you have access to a Windows laptop, you can go with open source tuning via a Tactrix open port cable. They are about $170 new, but you can normally find them cheaper used, or just borrow a friend's. The Cobb Access Port (AP) is a great device....except for the $650 price tag, and the fact of proprietary software limiting your tuner options a bit.

Basically, if you want a little more pep in the car, a 'Stage 1' tune will get you that. If you are wanting a significant pump in power, you would want to replace the 'J-pipe' with either a high flow cat or catless version....either way, one with an extra bung for a wide-band O2 sensor, get a wide-band O2 sensor, and a 'Stage 2' tune. Beyond that, a new intercooler (top mount intercooler is fine, unless going for big numbers) and an intake. Any further and you will need to start looking into transmission mods to hold the power you are adding.

In all cases, please please please remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap e-bay parts, or cheaper low end parts, you will either have issues, or have to replace them in the not too distant future. Quality known brands do actually count here. You have an expensive (ish) car, don't put crap in it.....note, used parts of good pedigree is a viable option to save money....check the forsale forums here, on Nasioc, and Facebook if you are interested in used parts. If you are willing to pay for new, our vendor list is a great place to start.
Rims - I want something not too shabby on looks, that doesn't take away from performance.

Coilovers- I ordered some fortune auto 500 limited editions that comes with swift springs

AP- I would like to get this but I don't want to void my warranty just yet since I still haven't hit 5,000 miles yet either, I just want some type of good setup so once I get close to my warranty expire I'll start investing

Exhaust- it's only straight pipes nothing special, I was thinking about going full turbo back but I know it's pricey,

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I spoke with my dealer just straight with the exhaust and wheels as long as I don't mess with drivetrain
Ya it's hit and miss. Deoends on how tolerant the dealer is. Each one is differemt amd some are more mod friendly than others

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just buy an 04 impreza wrx wagon that is stock .only has a full borla exhaust and i want to go up in hp where to start ? I don't wanna add parts that eventually gonna have to replace cuz they won't work with a bigger turbo or something like that .

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,280 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok one simple question. Cuz i was reading already and it talk abut start with uppipe then downpipe blablabla but if i do start with all that and then wanna put an vf34 do i have to replace again the up and down pipes and maniful or can i use the same ?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,280 Posts
Ok one simple question. Cuz i was reading already and it talk abut start with uppipe then downpipe blablabla but if i do start with all that and then wanna put an vf34 do i have to replace again the up and down pipes and maniful or can i use the same ?
For anything beyond an up pipe you will need a map.

For any specific combination of components beyond an up pipe, you will need a specific map designed for those components.

If you decide to go beyond an up pipe, as you suggest, to get a down pipe, you will need a map for those. To replace the turbo with a VF, you will then need a different map -- to accomodate not just the turbo but also the injectors etc. However you will be able to keep your up and down pipes.

Skip the maniful {sic}.

201 - 220 of 236 Posts
About this Discussion
235 Replies
87 Participants
561SilverWRX
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing