ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying sort out some options. Currently - new 07 wrx wagon, stock, aside from window tinting i had done and polk db's dropped into the doors :cool:

When I was at the dealer getting the first oil change, I was visited the performance shop at the dealership. The guy there said alot of people get the following:
- spt cat-back exhaust
- spt cai
- heat shield
- cobb ap (sold via dealership, techs reflash ecu)

this was all bundled into a 'performance pack', with exception of the cobb unit, which, according to the dealer, leaves warantee intact. in fact, he handed me a official subaru flyer which listed the cbe, cai, and heat shield for $800, sans install price ~250.

Reading through threads in the forums, I wanted to ask for some clarification.
My understanding is that the cobb ap offers a Stage 1 flash that requires no additional mods (via reflash of stock). Question here is if the investment in the performance pack at the dealership is a good idea price/performance wise? My goal is to 1. retain warantee 2. add some additional performance to the car (will do suspension work further down the road - f/r sways) via engine/exhaust management. Doesn't need to be the fastest on the road, but i like to open it up once every now and then in the turns. I know it's all driver subjective, but i really like the idea of having a sleeper wagon.
Another question is if it would be worth going direct to stage 2 w/ mods, bypassing stage 1. Meaning, upgrade to tb exhaust + ap. cobb has a package deal on their site, for example:
http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2315.
again, keeping subjectivity in mind...
I was on the official spt site, and it appears that they do not offer any sort of tbe, up/down pipes...hence, question of warantee voidage. If this is all a matter of 'ask the dealership', please let me know.
Also, if anyone has a link to any discussion regarding tactrix cable vs cobb ap, that would be appreciated as i'm trying to understand the main differences, pros/cons between the 2...aside from the obvious price difference.
Any other considerations that I may be missing would be great. including an up pipe install should it be recommended.

Thanks,
-Jaded

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
uppipe is not needed on 06+ models.
if you really want to keep the warranty, go for the SPT package, however, if it isn't that important to you, all you need is a Downpipe and a flash (via tactrix cable and openECU or COBB AP).

·
Registered
905 Posts
interesting that the dealership will still honor your warranty, if you buy their 'performance pack.' you said the pack was $800, plus $250 for labor, right? and that didnt include the price of the cobb AP?

id say search around a little bit, and find out what catback exhaust notes you like. the SPT CBE will look better than stock, but wont sound much different. so if you want something loud, check around.

the warranty voidage is always highly debatable, whether they will honor it or not, should something go wrong. here would be a typical example: you do TBE and EM(cobb stage 2), and because you increased your torque to 340lbs/ft, you eventually shred 3rd gear. so you take it to the dealership, and they say 'nope we wont replace your transmission, your modifications exceeded the capacity of this part. sorry.' even though they were the ones that sold the AP to you! they will say 'we dont cover downpipe modifications that result in disasterous torque on your gears, nor do we cover the stage 2 map on the unit we sold you, because of said downpipe it requires.'

i know im probably not helping you very much, but this is what id do, personally: screw the warranty. if you have a goal/direction for your car, then by all means, go that route. if you want to keep your warranty, then dont modify it until it expires.

p.s., if you do buy that performance pack, save yourself the $250 and put the stuff in yourself, super easy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
pretty sure the dealer has to install it to keep the warranty 100% legit.
yeah youre probably right. my thinking is so far from honoring any kind of warranty, i just dont consider it anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Not to burst your bubble but honestly the SPT package is a few noise makers tossed on that shine well when polished. They arent going to give you a ton of power by any means. The car usually feels much faster because of the noise, but on a dyno it's very questionable if you'd even feel the power gains.

Stage 1 is a huge debate. If Subaru really wanted to pry they could tell the ECU was flashed. I have no heard of Subaru ever doing this as of yet. The new AP will load your stock map if you ever wanted to unmarry. The odds of a stage 1 map killing your car is highly unlikely.

But the basic concept of "if you cant afford to fix it dont mod it" comes to play. Odds are the dealership wont even check nor will they care about stage 1. But if they wanted to they could say stage 1 caused a motor failure (if it even fails).

You dont have to be "stage 1" to go stage 2. The DP and AP will almost 100% of the time void your powertrain warranty. Anything that goes wrong in the motor/tranny will probaly be left on you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
efmd3 - why is uppipe not needed on +06 models??

Not to burst your bubble but honestly the SPT package is a few noise makers tossed on that shine well when polished. They arent going to give you a ton of power by any means. The car usually feels much faster because of the noise, but on a dyno it's very questionable if you'd even feel the power gains.

Stage 1 is a huge debate. If Subaru really wanted to pry they could tell the ECU was flashed. I have no heard of Subaru ever doing this as of yet. The new AP will load your stock map if you ever wanted to unmarry. The odds of a stage 1 map killing your car is highly unlikely.

But the basic concept of "if you cant afford to fix it dont mod it" comes to play. Odds are the dealership wont even check nor will they care about stage 1. But if they wanted to they could say stage 1 caused a motor failure (if it even fails).

You dont have to be "stage 1" to go stage 2. The DP and AP will almost 100% of the time void your powertrain warranty. Anything that goes wrong in the motor/tranny will probaly be left on you.
302, no bubbles are bursting (yet).
thanks for weighing in on the spt parts. I realize that the cbe and cai would not provide a substantial increase in power but as you say, look/sound good.
I am curious regarding your statement "if you cant afford to fix it, don't mod it". Since the car is new and comes w/ 3 yr, 36k coverage I would prefer to maintain the warantee. That being said, I would like very much to lightly mod the car. Be it with a stage 1 flash, or otherwise. I suppose a sub question to my op would be - what can i do within the limitations of the warantee? I am with the other people posting that say should i go to stage 2 and gears strip, tranny gets left by side of road (albeit small probability), then that's on me. Basically, i'm trying to get the best out of both worlds. On that note, I will contact the dealer and ask them if I could possibly get what I can do in writing. They might even support the stage 2 mods :screwy:. If you don't ask, you don't get. Would like to continue discussion here as well.

Also, any linkage on Tactrix v Cobb discussion?

All, thanks again,
-Jaded

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
I am curious regarding your statement "if you cant afford to fix it, don't mod it". Since the car is new and comes w/ 3 yr, 36k coverage I would prefer to maintain the warantee. That being said, I would like very much to lightly mod the car. Be it with a stage 1 flash, or otherwise. I suppose a sub question to my op would be - what can i do within the limitations of the warantee?
All, thanks again,
-Jaded
The warranty terms are stated in the owner's manual. For the warranty period, if you maintain the car with authorized, authentic Subaru parts that are correct parts for the vehicle you've bought, and something breaks, the dealer will fix it and Subaru of America will handle the cost.

If you use unauthorized parts and something breaks, you can hire anyone to fix it and you get to handle the cost. Simple.

Things get complex if you cross those lines. If you use unauthorized, aftermarket parts while under warranty, something breaks, and the dealer repairs it, either the dealer or (likely...) Subaru is covering the cost of something that's neither their fault nor their responsibility. There are at least some dealers that have done this. It helps the customer in front of them but hurts everyone else in the long term I'd guess. If a dealer is repairing failures due to unauthorized parts and then just passing on the bills to Subaru, aren't they doing what that old saying says, "We rip off the other guy and pass the savings on to you" in effect?

The dealer you described is selling unauthorized parts in addition to the cash-cow SPT (Subaru) stuff. If they are then covering failures caused by those unauthorized parts under warranty and not picking up the tab themselves, there are ethical questions that could be raised. If they're picking up the tab themselves, great, it's their money, they can do anything they want with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi wondering about boot controle information

Hey, i have a 04 wrx its stock and i was looking at getting the turbo xs boost controller, but i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a cold air intake before the boost controle??
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Manoli, no need. The key word here is....

Hey, i have a 04 wrx its stock and i was looking at getting the turbo xs boost controller, but i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a cold air intake before the boost controle??
thanks

Check stickies for tips:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
here is my advice about the package.

a heat shield is pointless without a new downpipe. it wouldnt serve a purpose.
the catback would make a different sound but wouldnt help power wise.
never put a cold air intake on your car. search about those.
the cobb ap is fantastic but if you are worried about keeping your dealer happy dont flash it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...The dealer you described is selling unauthorized parts in addition to the cash-cow SPT (Subaru) stuff. If they are then covering failures caused by those unauthorized parts under warranty and not picking up the tab themselves, there are ethical questions that could be raised. If they're picking up the tab themselves, great, it's their money, they can do anything they want with it.
I do agree with that view as well. Unsure as to what they are covering specifically, they have yet to respond to my email. I did walk out of there with a Cobb pamphlet in addition to the spt brochure. Seems to me the more reading I do that the spt mods, at this level of tuning (S1 or S2(nonexistent)) are somewhat tame. in that they don't offer such engine/ehaust mods that are likely to blow anything up. Which makes sense if they allow bolt-on additions that could be kept under warantee.

here is my advice about the package.

a heat shield is pointless without a new downpipe. it wouldnt serve a purpose.
the catback would make a different sound but wouldnt help power wise.
never put a cold air intake on your car. search about those.
the cobb ap is fantastic but if you are worried about keeping your dealer happy dont flash it!
Seems like downpipe and flash might be the way to go. For now though, i'm thinking go the Cobb AP route, S1 flash, suspension mods in a couple months, then potentially S2 (tbe + flash) later down the road. Unless they come back at me saying downpipe mods are allowed...

-Jaded

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
I do agree with that view as well. Unsure as to what they are covering specifically, they have yet to respond to my email. I did walk out of there with a Cobb pamphlet in addition to the spt brochure. Seems to me the more reading I do that the spt mods, at this level of tuning (S1 or S2(nonexistent)) are somewhat tame. in that they don't offer such engine/ehaust mods that are likely to blow anything up. Which makes sense if they allow bolt-on additions that could be kept under warantee.
Yes the SPT stuff is on the milder side. My main objection to the SPT intake is that the filter could allow more dirt to enter the motor compared to the stock system. Everything else about it seems to work fine for the car (this cannot be said of some aftermarket intake units so it's actually a bigger deal than one might think).

It'll be interesting to see what response you get to your email, if any. I can't see Subaru of America paying for Cobb-related failures any more than Cobb would pay for SOA-related failures (or even Cobb-related failures, for that matter...). If you want to be 100% about warranty coverage, the simple truth is you'll have to keep the car stock, maintain it according to the schedule in the manual, and keep each and every receipt regardless of who does the work (you, the dealer, anyone). Adding SPT stuff is the second-safest option. The least "safe" option is to add third-party stuff, regardless of who sells it (even a Subaru dealer).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jadedele,

I have a 07 wagon as well, and pretty much have started to followed what you mentioned. I found a slightly used AP V2 on ebay for about $600 (new were on back order when I tried to order and saved $95). I flashed the S1 and was happy with that result. I also recently installed a rear sway bar with links and bushings. I'm thinking from now on I'll continue with suspension upgrades and hope that won't void a powertrain warranty. Worst case, I'm keeping all the stock stuff to throw back on if need be. Once the warranty is up, I'll do the motor mods, etc. (if I can wait that long)

The 2007 brakes are pretty good already, but they could use some better pads. I'm sure the STI setup is better, but the 4pot/2pot setup is really good already.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
thanks
Good afternoon massive threadjack...:rotfl:

Boost Controller= bad if not tuned...get engine management to raise boost.

Cold air intake= bad...does nothing but mess with MAF sensor. Short Rams are usually ok (if SPT, Cobb, etc) but will not do anything but make noise for your car.

And because it is someone else's thread...do some searching, its your best friend :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A quick update.
Heard back from dealer. If I wanted to do anything greater than an intake + cbe (spt only) install, they require a waiver. Ie - do stg 2/tbe, then sign waiver first. If anything goes wrong, then they would strip it apart to see if the mods were source of prob. No issue w/ cobb ap though. But, they want to charge ~100 to flash it the first time + cost of unit. I said I could flash myself but would go back to them for any other bolt-on mods.
At this point, i'm going AP and drop in K&N air filter. Run it through the cold season, then start on suspension...

-Jaded

1 - 20 of 34 Posts