ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am going to be buying a 05 or 06 STI and was wondering what would be some good first mods for it? I have read the stickies about first mods but everyone seems to have different opinions about it. I was thinking about doing an exhaust system and a uppipe and downpipe and an intake. Does that sound like it would be a good start? I also was wondering if anyone had any opinions about turboback or catback which ones better? And any other first mods you guys could think would be good any advice will help this is my first Subaru ever I have wanted one since I started driving. I am 18 now so I think it is time to get one. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
welcome

sti's come with catless uppipes already so you can save your money and keep the OEM one.

turboback exhaust is where you will see a big power increase [just make sure you get tuned]

before you start modding though, drive the car for a few months.. maybe get some track time with an experienced driver if you can. an STi can be a handful [even in stock form] for a young driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so get a tune on the stock parts then start getting aftermarket parts? What would be a good list I guess to follow in upgrading parts like step by step wise?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you I appreciate it. I was just looking on Cobbs website what do you think of the Cobb stage 2 setup? It comes with Stage 2 Kit Includes:

- AccessPORT

- Quick Start User Guide

- USB Cable

- OBDII Connector

- Software CD

- COBB Downpipe

- COBB Cat Back Exhaust
I was thinking about doing that and then getting a tune after I install that setup

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
its not a bad set up, but you can buy the parts separately and/or used and it will be cheaper.

the accessport will give you a generic tune so you dont have to get tuned again after installing the accessport.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
that would be the cheapest & best route. you will make more power on a custom tune than a tune from the accessport

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Best mod will be the driver mod...everyone wants to make improvements and add some custom parts and improve the overall performance...it's one of the reasons many of us buy these cars.

But many of us also don't get into something like an STI until we are 23, 24, and older. My first STI was when I was 24...and stock was plenty fast for the first 4 or 5 months. I did some track days...enjoyed drives with experienced STI owners, and so on. I learned to handle the car for what it was. Make sure to increase some driver responsibility and experience and it will be the most fun car you can ever have :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok but if I just do the downpipe and uppipe with and exhaust and intake would not be that big of a deal thats all I would be doing for a while until I got used to the car I know how it goes this is not my first car I know you always have to get used to it first.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Why would you even consider replacing the uppipe?

Downpipe, intake, and a tune would be alright. Just remember that you can't just drive the car around with an aftermarket downpipe or intake without being tuned for it. And honestly, I would skip the intake.. your money would be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard if you do not replace the uppipe it breaks apart and goes into the turbo atleast thats what I have read on here.
And ok what else besides a downpipe and an exhaust would you say would be worth the money?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
If you have an STi, there is no catalytic converter in your uppipe, so it is not an issue.

Personally, I would do a full turbo back, or stealthback (although all that is technically required for stage two is a downpipe), and a pro tune. Next I would get a short shifter and shifter bushings. After that I would say a 3-port EBCS, but you have to tune for it, so it would make the most sense to get that at the same time as your exhaust so you don't have to pay for two tunes. Then I would get stainless braided brake lines, and good tires. Next would be swaybars and endlinks..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thank you for the help I appreciate it I will probably just save up the money and get the full turbo back exhaust the shifter and bushings and the EBCS. Now the turbo back comes with a downpipe right or would I have to get one?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
turboback = catback + downpipe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey I had another question when you guys get a tune you mean dyno right? Sorry I am new to this world of turbos so just wondering.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
bhowell93 said:
Hey I had another question when you guys get a tune you mean dyno right? Sorry I am new to this world of turbos so just wondering.
You need to get the ECU remapped. It can be done on the dyno or street.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts