Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Have a 2017 Base WRX with about 10k miles on it now. Been loving it since the day I bought it. My only issue is that the torque kinda dies off at high RPMs...heard that a high flow exhaust would help with that. Can't get an AccessPort because I (regretfully) bought the warranty since I got a good deal on it and wasn't planning on doing any mods.

My main question is about the MagnaFlow 15471. From what I've seen, I've heard that there is some drone with Magnaflows, but I can't find anything about this model in particular. I don't want something much louder than stock. Drone especially is a huge turn off for me. Anyone know if the street series (15471) drones?

If so, what exhaust would you guys recommend? Finally, if I do get a new exhaust, is there any adapter pieces that I'm gonna need to buy as well?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
371 Posts
you heard wrong. The only way to fix that is to get a tune. A Cat back exhaust will absolutely NOT help with the rollercoaster HP/TQ but doesnt need a Tune. If you go further, and replace the J-pipe, you will still need a tune.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
The bottle neck is the downpipe and cat and both will require a tune to change. As will an intake, or really anything that adds power to the vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the gains are negligible then. Regardless, I think I still want to buy a catback for a deeper sound. Still, I'm not sure if I want to get the MF 15471-- I still can't find anything on whether the drone is bad on them. I know lots of people with the competition series (15471 is street series) have been complaining about the drone in their systems.

I know the Invidia Q300 is well known for having great sound with little to no drone, but they're around $250 more than the Magnaflow.
Currently I'm looking at $700 for the Magnaflow and $950 for Invidia off Amazon.

· Registered
90 Posts
do NOT get the Magnaflow if it's the 3" one. You will have barely ANY clearance. They stupidly routed the pipe under the rear differential rather than around it. It's a common complaint. If you're lowered, you're screwed. If you're stock height, you'll scrape all over curbs, speed bumps, etc. It sounds good BUT DO NOT DO IT, CLEARANCE SUCKS! See below (not my image)

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
^^ what he said. Everyone I've EVER known with the magnaflow has traded, sold it, or ate the cost due to the fact they would constantly scrape it. Even on things as simple as a dip in the road at highway speeds would = Spark shower.

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
The 2.5" and 3" are run in a similar fashion, I'd imagine the 2.5" will be just as bad. I'm unsure of the price on that unit, but I would suggest the ETS, Nameless, or if you'd like to go a little cheaper, the Invidia Q300 or R400 exhausts. All that I listed are going to be great quality, and are properly routed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
But, with all due respect, if you tune down the road, there are gains to be had from a 3"... a 2.5" is just wasting money.

· Registered
371 Posts
I have a COBB that I bought slightly used. I like it a lot. More sound than stock but no drone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.