ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i hear this sound (on my bone stock 03 wrx. 40k miles. M/T) when i drive in first gear and i press the clutch to either cruise to a red light, or to change into 2nd, i hear a bit of the clutch missing i guess. i still hear the rev sound from the torque. It's the sound of torque (in laymans terms) and i feel like the clutch isn't engaged a 100% maybe only 98%. See the video, and the sound is definitely there around the :10 mark in the video.
Wrx first gear clutch issues -
Wrx first gear clutch issues - YouTube

Also i haven't done the 60k service yet, I think i should swap out the tranny and diff fluids.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Didn't watch the video.

But I had something similar to what you are describing happen in my 2.5RS. I would drive down the road and between gears with the clutch pedal mashed into the floor boards the darn thing felt like it was not fully disengaging. I eventually sucked all the clutch fluid out of the master cylinder and replaced with factory recommended DOT 3 brake fluid.

Pump the clutch a million times and then repeat. This should help and it's very easy to do.

·
Æternum
20,600 Posts
My transmission has whined in the same manner for the last 50,000 miles. It's exacerbated by the cold. I wouldn't worry about it; it's just synchro whine.

Do this test:
In first gear at around 10 mph, push the clutch in. Does it whine?
When moving around 10 mph, put the car in neutral. Does the whine dissipate?
Slowly push the shifter into first gear (but don't engage completely). Does the sound return? Does it sound like it's "winding up"?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts