ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site but I have a 2003 wrx, I don't beat on it at all but the other night I was sitting at a stop light and when I went to shift into first....it wouldn't shift.....its like first gear never came in the car. It feels like there's a block or something where first gear should be, and its preventing me from sliding it into first. There is no grinding or any noise from the gear at all. it just don't go into first. All the rest of the gears work great and show no problems or griding. I don't know much about trannys, but could I have broke first gear? or could my clutch fork be messed up?

Thanks

Ty

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,222 Posts
I'm new to this site but I have a 2003 wrx, I don't beat on it at all
Mods?

its like first gear never came in the car... There is no grinding or any noise from the gear at all. it just don't go into first... but could I have broke first gear?
Possibly but not as likely.

or could my clutch fork be messed up?
Yes, but that wouldn't be your problem right now. You might be thinking of a shift fork instead though, and that seems a lot more likely.

Turn the car off. Does the shifter go into first gear with the clutch in or out? By the way, a car that's not beaten is more likely to have a clutch fluid leak than anything else preventing you from shifting. Is the fluid in the reservoir up to "full?"

In any case, from what you've said I'd consider taking the car to be looked at. Post in your regional forum to find a competent shop near you.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,222 Posts
Take it in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sometimes this happens to me too. Try putting your clutch all the way engaged. Try to push it into first gear. Don't jam it, just have pressure on it like you would nornally go into gear. Then slowly disengage the clutch. Then when I'm about half way, first slides in. It does this for me more when it's cold.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here

This happens to me too at random times. It's usually doesn't take much effort to get into first, but sometimes i can't get into 1st, and same thing w/ the reverse. I just checked my clutch fluid and it's full.

Is this a common problem w/ the (02) wrx??

·
Registered
98 Posts
No I guess its just not the 02's My 03 Does it too..Actually i do the same thing the other does..I start easing off the clutch and it slides into first..But deffinitly it seems were all having the same problem with first..Could it just be that thats the way the gear is set up? or maybe a delay gear lock LOL?

·
Banned
534 Posts
yo man that sux . .what did u do at light ? feather it into second if it didnt go into first or no one was behind u so u took ur time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put it into second and thats what ive had to do since then. I have yet to get it to slide into first gear.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This happens to me too at random times. It's usually doesn't take much effort to get into first, but sometimes i can't get into 1st, and same thing w/ the reverse. I just checked my clutch fluid and it's full.

Is this a common problem w/ the (02) wrx??

Happens to me too, along with a nasty grind into 5th, 9 times out of 10.

Of course the "disappearing 1st gear" only happens when I am at a stoplight with 5 cars behind me...

The 1st gear thing feels strange, as mentioned, feels like it just isn't there...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Happens to me too, along with a nasty grind into 5th, 9 times out of 10.

Of course the "disappearing 1st gear" only happens when I am at a stoplight with 5 cars behind me...

The 1st gear thing feels strange, as mentioned, feels like it just isn't there...

He is saying that he can never get into first, I think what you and a lot of other posters mentioned is different. You occasionally can't get it into first right? I forgot what it is called, but when it happens try shifting to second then try first again. That always works for me.

As for Tcameron's problem, I've never experiences that problem but if it never goes into first I'd agree to take it in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My 02 is in the shop right now for this very problem...at first it would only go into 1st occasionally, but that quickly turned to never and i had to take it in. Does your tranny make an accelerating whining noise consistently through the gears? If so you have the same problem as me, you have a bad synchro and/or "clutch hub" issue...mine has both and shredded gears but thats because i let it go so long (to avoid the extended warranty denying coverage due to a "pre-exsisting condition"). The shop pulled my tranny today and looked at it and the labor alone to get into the tranny was $600, thank god for dealer warranties haha.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 02 is in the shop right now for this very problem...at first it would only go into 1st occasionally, but that quickly turned to never and i had to take it in. Does your tranny make an accelerating whining noise consistently through the gears? If so you have the same problem as me, you have a bad synchro and/or "clutch hub" issue...mine has both and shredded gears but thats because i let it go so long (to avoid the extended warranty denying coverage due to a "pre-exsisting condition"). The shop pulled my tranny today and looked at it and the labor alone to get into the tranny was $600, thank god for dealer warranties haha.
Mine whines in every gear, has clutch shudder, but is silky smooth through all 5, but then again, I treat my trans like glass. Never hard on it, never shift hard, and doubt clutch 1/2 the time, and always always always rev match. I can also ease it into first gear with no effort whatsoever at 10-15mph, as long as the car is not cold.

Its an early production 02 with the thin/unrevised gear set. After watching some "interesting" youtube videos, I completely in everyway understand why the 5 speeds have a bad rep, alot of idiots think its funny/cool to do high rpm dumps. LoL their money not mine.

Anyway what is this "bad clutch hub" that you speak of? Never heard of a clutch hub, heard of a throw out bearing and pilot bearing, never a clutch hub.

Jerod

·
Registered
0 Posts
the clutch hub is the center of the disk attached by springs that reduce chatter, the hubs are splined and mine got stripped out, lots of metal chunks in my fluid

·
Registered
45 Posts
not only for 02-03

i have a 2005 wrx and just the other night my 1st & 2nd went out but by downshifting from 3rd i was able to get 2nd back, dont know how or why it happened. I was just backing out of my drive way then went for 1st and the wrx said FUK YOU !

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have a 2006 wrx and mine is having trouble getting into first in the cold weather? i really wish someone knew why? i hate this problem i want an sti tranny

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
06hawkman said:
I have a 2006 wrx and mine is having trouble getting into first in the cold weather? i really wish someone knew why? i hate this problem i want an sti tranny
I have an '05 STi and I sometimes have difficulty getting it into 1st gear (though, putting it in 2nd allows me to go into first) when it's cold - I just start my car when I'm done getting dressed (or about 5-10 min before I have to leave) and then go back inside to get the rest of my stuff together and I have no issues. The STi tranny has the same problem, basically :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the same problem in my 07 WRX when its cold. I used the Uncle Scotties cocktail mix in my tranny and it seems to have made a little bit of difference but when its cold out my tranny still sucks ass to drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dont wrx's have "blocker-rings" or something like that for first gear? I have the same issue sometimes - doesnt want to go into first, so i shift back into 2nd and then into first again and it works fine :redface:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts