ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

A close friend is ...um... "sanctioning" (I use that LOOSELY) a gumball rally to be held in PA at an undisclosed location and time in the near future (think October).

It will be a flat-out rally of about 300-400 miles involving stupid things on public highways.

I may participate. The entry fee will be around $30-$50. The prizes will depend on # of participants. Any driver's caught by local law enforcement are out (obviously).

This is not for inexperienced drivers. If you have RE92s on your car, you really need not apply. I remind you that tirerack.com is running specials.

BTW, I have run this rally course with a co-driver. YOU NEED A CO-DRIVER!!! Five point harnesses are a BIG PLUS.

-Jim

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
So this is just some race across a bunch of roads? You get caught your busted...and whoever crosses the line first is the winner?

crazy! haha

·
2,081 Posts
Brave, brave soul.

Can I have your WRX when your license gets revoked? ;)

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Rumor has it that Jim is giving it to me
:D

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Trailboss516 said:
Rumor has it that Jim is giving it to me
:D
funny how rumors get started.... I'm getting it!:p

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is the dumbest thing i have heard of yet

Lol...you will have every state police car after you guys...maybe u should look into some real rally track candidates, go on some dirt tracks or something ;).

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: This is the dumbest thing i have heard of yet

BobbyD said:
Lol...you will have every state police car after you guys...maybe u should look into some real rally track candidates, go on some dirt tracks or something ;).
But of course we will, that's half the fun. Incidently, the starting point has NO POLICE in the township.

-Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honestly, this is a pretty stupid idea.

If any of your "competitors" crashes and kills someone or someone's family, then you guys are going to be liable for millions of dollars.

This is not for inexperienced drivers.
LOL. Define "experienced" vs "inexperienced". Anyone with real "experience" is not going to participate, based on that experience.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The HomeliteXL said:
Define "gumball" rally?
I figured someone else would pick up this question.

I covered it in the first post. You get a crude map with a few checkpoints on it and you have to use your maps and your skills to find the check points. It usually involves picking up something that the organizer tells you to pick up at each point. It's like a scavenger hunt on wheels.

-Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
HAHAHAH...my step-father just informed me that him and his buddies in highschool/college used to do this. That's fu.ckin hilarious!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
In a similar vein, a good friend of mine worked with a guy who'd do this sort of thing occassionally. This guy and a friend of his would pick state...say, Virginia (we're in Georgia), and then "race" to see who could get there and back in the shortest amount of time. To "prove" they did it, they would have to stop at each states welcome center to get something (can't remember what). Needless to say, they'd each get about three tickets apiece before they got home. I always thought that was a little stupid. Hopefully your event won't be quite like this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my friend participated in the Gumball3000 rally from NY to LA if you guys saw the videos. They are all over the internet...its the yellow E36 M3. He said its the best fun he's ever had and is waiting for next years event.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thats cool. My friend has a 330i and a E36 M3 and he's on the dtmpower forum all the time. He's got a ton of videos with Dado in fact i got one too of him at a drift contest ({redneck voice} "now here's Dado in the B..M..W") anyway i've heard a lot about him. His car kicks ass. and then there's the whole mischief thing so... but that's cool that you're friends with him, i guess he's kind of a legend around the internet now :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts