ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm running the Stage 1 + SF 91 HWG (not hitting target boost with the NWG). When running the NWG map, I had good AFRs, zero knock, but only see high 13's boost psi. Target boost should be 16 psi though. So with that, I ran the HWG map. Another 3rd gear pull showed max psi of only 14.1, but had a little bit of knock. Can someone take a look at my logs and give me some advice? I'm tempted to just go ahead and stick with the NWG map. Don't want to experience the knocking again. Thanks for any help!

NWG Log

HWG Log

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I'm running the Stage 1 + SF 91 HWG (not hitting target boost with the NWG). When running the NWG map, I had good AFRs, zero knock, but only see high 13's boost psi. Target boost should be 16 psi though. So with that, I ran the HWG map. Another 3rd gear pull showed max psi of only 14.1, but had a little bit of knock. Can someone take a look at my logs and give me some advice? I'm tempted to just go ahead and stick with the NWG map. Don't want to experience the knocking again. Thanks for any help!

NWG Log

HWG Log
You gonna make your logs public?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realize I had to make it public. Thank you for pointing that out!

·
Registered
79 Posts
what are you using to post your logs. I'm tuning my car and trying to get some feedback for my logs. Did you ever find a solution to what your problem was?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean? I just added them to Google documents. Then copied the link and pasted it here. Just make sure you set them to "public" so that anyone with the link can see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would update one that I already started.

Mods are in sig. Initially it happened with the HWG map (not hitting target boost). So I switched back to the NWG map with no changes.

So anyway, recently I've noticed my car sputtering a bit. Majority of the time it happens at idle. But occasionally it'll happen with light throttle. I only notice it below 2500 rpm. No issues whatsoever during medium to WOT. Attached is an idle datalog. Usually it's pretty smooth, never varying more than a tenth or so vacuum as evidenced from about 8.5 seconds to 13.5 seconds in (lines 28 thru 43). But otherwise, you can see throughout it's bouncing quite a bit.

Any idea what could be causing it? I've checked for any vacuum leaks, but don't notice anything. Bad gas perhaps? Should I go back to stock with stock tune? I haven't done anything other than switch from the HWG map to the NWG map because I wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks for any help!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4xbcP9lpTmdGJ0eWw3YVNYc1RGMWFOUmxCZzJwTEE#gid=0

·
Registered
34 Posts
So instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would update one that I already started.

Mods are in sig. Initially it happened with the HWG map (not hitting target boost). So I switched back to the NWG map with no changes.

So anyway, recently I've noticed my car sputtering a bit. Majority of the time it happens at idle. But occasionally it'll happen with light throttle. I only notice it below 2500 rpm. No issues whatsoever during medium to WOT. Attached is an idle datalog. Usually it's pretty smooth, never varying more than a tenth or so vacuum as evidenced from about 8.5 seconds to 13.5 seconds in (lines 28 thru 43). But otherwise, you can see throughout it's bouncing quite a bit.

Any idea what could be causing it? I've checked for any vacuum leaks, but don't notice anything. Bad gas perhaps? Should I go back to stock with stock tune? I haven't done anything other than switch from the HWG map to the NWG map because I wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks for any help!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4xbcP9lpTmdGJ0eWw3YVNYc1RGMWFOUmxCZzJwTEE#gid=0
I am no expert, but looking at OP's logs and your logs, the first thing i noticed is that your boost pressure stayed negative for the entire duration of the log you posted. You said you are using a map for when you don't hit target boost, but your logs indicate that you are not hitting boost at all. Do you hear the turbo spooling up when you drive? I would think this points to a vacuum leak, although you said you checked for this. What exactly did you check? Need someone else to add their .02 as to what may be causing this.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
bradboyd80;.... [URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4xbcP9lpTmdGJ0eWw3YVNYc1RGMWFOUmxCZzJwTEE#gid=0" said:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4xbcP9lpTmdGJ0eWw3YVNYc1RGMWFOUmxCZzJwTEE#gid=0[/URL]
THAT log isn't going to get you anywhere....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am no expert, but looking at OP's logs and your logs, the first thing i noticed is that your boost pressure stayed negative for the entire duration of the log you posted. You said you are using a map for when you don't hit target boost, but your logs indicate that you are not hitting boost at all. Do you hear the turbo spooling up when you drive? I would think this points to a vacuum leak, although you said you checked for this. What exactly did you check? Need someone else to add their .02 as to what may be causing this.
That particular log was at idle. I did state that in the post. I wasn't hitting target boost with the initial flash (stage 1 + SF 91), so I switched to the HWG version. Boost is hitting target now. But the sputtering is still present. Odd thing is that my idle is actually steady. Watching the needle, my rpms are steady, and never coming close to stalling. But I still feel the sputtering. If you check out the log, you can see my vacuum bouncing. I would normally guess its a leak somewhere, but can't find it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
From what I understand the damaging knocking occurs at higher rpms. The log shows idle speeds only, and those will always fluktuate some. Mine occasionally makes the car shake some, but there is nothing wrong. There's all kinds of things, among them the fact that these are drive-by-wire. The ECU is in control of your throttle, it also controls fuel-air mixture and ignition, plus everything else... I don't think it's possible to get an entirely level, flat and smooth idle at all. It is after all only a (relatively small) 4 cylinder. And the rotating mass is probably less than some other 4-cyl out there, even from factory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I completely understand. If what's happening is completely normal, that's cool. Its just something I have never experienced before. It honestly feels like true sputtering or misfire. Just doesn't feel normal. The log I'm sure doesn't indicate any issues. I just hoped it would help explain what I'm experiencing. I appreciate all the feedback.

I know I suck at explaining all this. I do have some mechanical knowledge as this is my 4th boosted vehicle, but my first subaru. So some of this perhaps is just unfamiliarity with the platform.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
OK, so much for the idle. I just took a bit closer a look at the HGw log. It look to me like there's probably some waste going on with the wste-gate. It never goes over 70 % and the MAF reading goes all the way to 250+. Not real sure if that indicates "waste" but seems likely to me. See if someone else will chime in. The knock correction is of no consequence, I'd dare say. it seems very small and doens't make it into the "learned".

BTW, I see that the injector duty cycle goes to zero at the end, indicating "no fuel" during that time, hence gas savings...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So should I just revert back to stock for a couple of weeks and see if that helps? Its odd that all I have installed (from a tuning standpoint) is the SF intake and the tune. I haven't read of anyone having these sorts of issues on a pretty basic stage 1.

I've been keeping an eye on my trims also. As of right now, AF Learning 1 C is at -6.9 and still climbing. Two days ago it was at -5.4; and about 4 days ago it was -2.7. Not sure why it keeps reducing fuel. All the others are fine and are no higher than -1.0. Could this be causing the issue?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF and then resetting the ECU. Removing fuel is better than having to add it. I generally try to set my fueling/MAF scaling this way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try cleaning the MAF and then resetting the ECU. Removing fuel is better than having to add it. I generally try to set my fueling/MAF scaling this way.
I've been meaning to do that. The car only has 3500 miles on it, after 7 months of ownership. Could it really be THAT dirty? Gonna try it this afternoon either way. But damn.....just seems a bit early in its life for that. LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok fellas; I cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU about a week ago with no change. Put the car back to stock, uninstalled the AP, and yet still have the same sputtering at idle. Pretty safe to assume I've likely got a vacuum leak? What else could it possibly be? In boost, the car is perfectly fine. The only time I feel the sputtering is at idle or cruising below 2500 rpm.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to set up an appointment with the stealership. What's the likelihood that they recognize I had the AP and intake installed and give me the single finger salute? LOL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I'd provide an update for those who might want to know what happened.

I took the car to the dealer today. The car had been stock for well over a week, and sputtering was only getting worse. Turns out there was an update required for the ECU. The CELs that finally illuminated for the first time today were for misfires on all 4 cylinders. The ECU was updated and the car runs perfectly fine now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts