1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally finished my hide-a-way LCD underneath the clock area:
Bigger picture (smaller ones below)
Bigger picture (smaller ones below)

I bring a PS2 with me on trips (DVD's and video games) and put it in the back seat. The audio goes through a tape adapter. I hid all the cables down the center console. The LCD has an automatic power on when a video source comes on, so I didn't need to run a switch.

Whatcha think? I figured if I ever wanted to return it to stock, I could pick up that whole clock piece prettty cheap since most people replace em with gauges or a single din stero.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Closed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
W:eek:W...that looks great...good job! Did you custom fabricate this, or does it come as a kit?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
So how did you do it?? :confused: :D

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
[OFFTOPIC] Cool avatar HOT_DOG :D That used to be my avatar a long while back :D

·
Registered
748 Posts
Okay, now THAT is a TIGHT install man... you have to do a how-to on that... Im impressed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Holy S&^! that is completely PHAT!!! How'd you do that? Any instructions or DIY would really be greatly appreciated by all I'm sure :) And does the clock still work?

Parts too if you could!!!

-C:D :eek:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
VERY NICE! I've been wanting to do something like that, but I guess I'm not as adventurous as you.... definitely post something on how you did it! I would love to see what your process was!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hot_Dog said:
That's pimp! Do you have to flip it up by hand, or did you put some sort of actuator on it?
I have a magnet closing mechanisim like in home stereo equipment enclosures on the glass. You know, the one you push in and it extends out, push it in again and it locks.

Instructions? I kinda had to wing it the whole time. I bought the LCD off of eBay for $100 or so. The original plan was to put it in sideways where the cupholder is, and pull it out when it was in use. But behind the cupholder was some plastic molding that was part of the dash, and I didn't want to cause too much damage.

So I took the cupholder, middle A/C vents and clock off, and went to work. I cut the clock likt in the picture with a dremmel, then used a polishing attachment to buff it nice. I also buffed the clips that hold the clock in, so it wasn't as tight to pull out.
The LCD is on with a full back of velcro, in case the passenger wants to take it off and put it lower, or to go to the back seat. Plus I didn't need screws to go through the clock.

I put a small cabinet hinge in between the two pieces. I had to sand the inside a bit so the super-glue would hold the hinge on (I didn't want screws to show). It holds really really well (suprisingly).

It is still in progress, I need a way to keep it stable, right now the actual clock pushes down on the A/C ducts so it stays up fine, but kinda hokey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I was in cali for the week. It is a 5.6" LCD, I wanted to be sure it fit snugly.

G

·
cranium said:
THAT is a PHATTY ASS screen. I want it, i want it to have my babies! lol. Can you write up a tutorial, with some pics would be sweet, I want to do this install. It didnt look like it was too hard by your last explenation. Was it hard or not? Do you think I can do it and still ahve a gauge pod in there as well?? Just wondering if that could be done.

And as a side question, not related, if you get the gauge pod from the factory, where do they put the clock????

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was a little difficult, mostly cause you have to be able to wing it and get it to look decent.

The write up is basically pop out the clock, dremmel a straight line, use a buffing pad to make the cut smooth, sand down the front clips so they arent so tought to pull in and out, super-glue or bolt (if you don't care about seeing the ehads of the bold) a hinge in-between your two pieces of the clok, install velcro on the back of your LCD, tap wires, and your done. You definitley have to be willing to take some risk, cause there is a lot that can go worng (hinge placement, crooked cut, etc.).

There is a replacement for the clock that has a pop up LCD (that's where I got the idea from), but I think you can only buy it in Japan. I just searched, but I couldn't find the old post...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts